The Student Room Group

King Edward's VI Stourbridge 2013 Applicants Thread!

I noticed there was not a thread for King Eds hopefuls so I thought I better put one up! (Stourbridge King Eds by the way and for Year 11's as of 2012-13!)

It's the second open evening tonight, who is going?

I went last night and I thought it was really good. What did everyone else think of it?

:wink:
Reply 1
I didn't go but only because I know I couldn't travel there every morning for school! My friend says they'd like to go so they've told me a bit about it and it sounds really good, with loads of courses available etc.

I wish the distance wasn't a problem!
Has anyone written their personal statement yet?
Reply 3
Original post by InvaderZim1997
Has anyone written their personal statement yet?

I wrote mine last week. Have you?
Original post by Pokrok
I wrote mine last week. Have you?

I'm getting there, I've just had so much coursework to do i haven't had time :frown: have you got any tips on what to write?
Reply 5
I'm getting there, I've just had so much coursework to do i haven't had time :frown: have you got any tips on what to write?

Wouldn't blame you, coursework may be easier than exams but it takes ages. For my statement, I just said what I'm interested in, what courses I'd like to study, what would I just to become when I'm older. Then, I said what I have done at school and my achievements etc. Talk about your experiences and what qualities you have and why are they useful. Make sure you bullet point.

That's it really. I did mine on my computer, didn't fancy writing it out in case I make a mistake.

Oh! Make sure you say "I am" instead of "I'm", makes it more formal.

Good luck. Are you applying online or by application form?
Original post by Pokrok
Wouldn't blame you, coursework may be easier than exams but it takes ages. For my statement, I just said what I'm interested in, what courses I'd like to study, what would I just to become when I'm older. Then, I said what I have done at school and my achievements etc. Talk about your experiences and what qualities you have and why are they useful. Make sure you bullet point.

That's it really. I did mine on my computer, didn't fancy writing it out in case I make a mistake.

Oh! Make sure you say "I am" instead of "I'm", makes it more formal.

Good luck. Are you applying online or by application form?

Online, it's faster :smile: Thanks for the tips :biggrin:
Reply 7
Online, it's faster :smile: Thanks for the tips :biggrin:

My pleasure! :wink: I did mine online too since myself or my school would probably lose my paperwork... either way it would get lost. :colondollar:
Reply 8
Anyone got an offer yet? :smile:
Reply 9
Has anyone got a reply for Stourbridge yet? I applied (online) late compared to some of the people I know who have had their interviews already and I still haven't received anything from them. I'm really worried, is anyone in the same position as I am?
Reply 10
I have not got a reply yet and I applied 3 months ago! I know King Edwards have contacted my school for a reference and they have sent that off. But I've got until the middle of March anyway, so I'm not that worried.

Make sure you have got a confirmation email though, because some people thought they sent it off but it turns out they did not and have had to apply again.

I think they are interviewing per school, no one at my school has heard from them yet. A lot of A* people have been accepted without interview, but my grades are not that good. If people have got in before you applied, then they will come back to you most definitely!

What's everyone's subject choices? I think they interview science and mathematical candidates first (pathway 1).
Reply 11
Hmm. That's interesting Pokrok, I've never heard about what subjects they interview for first.

A few people in my class have got interviews within the next few weeks and between them they've chosen a range of subjects, like sciences, sociology, english-lit, humanities. You'll probably hear back from them soon, seeing as the application deadline is this month sometime, so they'll be sorting through all of them within the next few months I guess.

I had an interview about a week ago now, applying for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, and I got my formal offer so if anyone has any questions about the interview, please, fire away! ^^ But it's absolutely fine, not at all nervewracking like I thought it would be. All of the staff interviewing us looked smiley (of the ones I saw) and they're really friendly.

Good luck everyone!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Melonbug
Hmm. That's interesting Pokrok, I've never heard about what subjects they interview for first.

A few people in my class have got interviews within the next few weeks and between them they've chosen a range of subjects, like sciences, sociology, english-lit, humanities. You'll probably hear back from them soon, seeing as the application deadline is this month sometime, so they'll be sorting through all of them within the next few months I guess.

I had an interview about a week ago now, applying for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French, and I got my formal offer so if anyone has any questions about the interview, please, fire away! ^^ But it's absolutely fine, not at all nervewracking like I thought it would be. All of the staff interviewing us looked smiley (of the ones I saw) and they're really friendly.

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations for getting in!

I received my letter yesterday and Interview is next Monday so we will see how it goes. Apparently, it's not really an interview, it's more like a chat about options and what you want to do in the future. Is this true? It seems quite long too! Could you give any more details on what happens please, my friend who has the same interview date as mine is really nervous and I'm a bit confused too.

It's funny, I applied for all my sixth forms months ago, and they have all accepted me just this week, if I get a formal offer on king eds I will definitely go there though!

I'm taking German, Spanish, Modern History and Politics if I get in. I am currently doing AS French this year in yr 11, so if you need any advice I can help you with that.
Reply 13
Thank yoou, congrats to you for getting your interview :biggrin:

You're totally right, it is more of a chat about your options. As the letter should say, first there'll be a really quick presentation about the college and a member of staff will talk to each person as you arrive, to ask a bit about what you want to do in the future. Then you have the 'interview'.

It's really simple because your interviewer will have your application form ready in front of them and will ask you to list the subjects you want to take in order of preference, including the 2 reserves (the subjects you'd put just in case, if you put 6 on the form and want to take 4). It will help to have a think about this just in case later on you want to change one of your subjects. Other than that, they may ask a bit about things you've written on your personal statement, which is just a chance for conversation, where you can pretend not to be nervous and basically sell yourself :P

It's natural to be nervous, but it'll wear away really easily.. It might sounds weird but just try to enjoy it :tongue: I thought I'd be the only one in school uniform but I wasn't, and I thought that no one else was taking any notes or certificates (I was going to but then found out I didn't need to) but a lot of other people did. Just smile and be yourself and that way you'll probably be remembered.
Reply 14
Thank yoou, congrats to you for getting your interview :biggrin:

You're totally right, it is more of a chat about your options. As the letter should say, first there'll be a really quick presentation about the college and a member of staff will talk to each person as you arrive, to ask a bit about what you want to do in the future. Then you have the 'interview'.

It's really simple because your interviewer will have your application form ready in front of them and will ask you to list the subjects you want to take in order of preference, including the 2 reserves (the subjects you'd put just in case, if you put 6 on the form and want to take 4). It will help to have a think about this just in case later on you want to change one of your subjects. Other than that, they may ask a bit about things you've written on your personal statement, which is just a chance for conversation, where you can pretend not to be nervous and basically sell yourself :P

It's natural to be nervous, but it'll wear away really easily.. It might sounds weird but just try to enjoy it :tongue: I thought I'd be the only one in school uniform but I wasn't, and I thought that no one else was taking any notes or certificates (I was going to but then found out I didn't need to) but a lot of other people did. Just smile and be yourself and that way you'll probably be remembered.

I did it! :biggrin:

I had been feeling ill that day and after school I was so tired. I thought the presentation was boring and a bit too long, but I had to wait for the other applicants to arrive. It seems nerve wracking to start with, I felt sick, not sure whether that was my illness or my nerves,a or a mixture! Thanks for the advice by the way, I didn't bring anything with me while everyone else did but they didn't need them at all! I wore my school uniform too, to look smart but not too smart and couldn't be bothered to get changed!

Anyway, after the presentation they take you off to your interview room, I thought I would be last in but somehow I was first, thank god.

The interview, wasn't really an interview, like you said all you do is select which subjects you are going to take, then you chat about why you chose these, what you want to do in the future etc.

It lasted just under 20 minutes, but felt only like 5 minutes of talking it was good. The interviewer was impressed with me and said it the best interview she'd had in years, I was so happy (since my grades were ok but not perfect like most). I will hear from them next week hopefully.

Anyway, good luck to anyone being interviewed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, this takes me back; I was here 2007-2009! Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Pokrok

It lasted just under 20 minutes, but felt only like 5 minutes of talking it was good. The interviewer was impressed with me and said it the best interview she'd had in years, I was so happy (since my grades were ok but not perfect like most). I will hear from them next week hopefully.

Wow, really? :biggrin: Tell us your secrets lol ^^ Who interviewed you?

Glad to hear it went well!
Reply 17
Wow, really? :biggrin: Tell us your secrets lol ^^ Who interviewed you?

Glad to hear it went well!

Thanks. I think my interviewer was Mary Powell, I'll check the letter later if not. She was really nice and made me feel comfortable.

I tend to be the biggest bag nerves before anything, but when I start I tend to be fine. I'm not sure why but I seem to good at interviews, my school weren't bothered with me until my interview with the head teacher. I have had a lot of them though (7), for jobs and joining charity groups etc. I usually talk a lot and keep conversation flowing, no ums and ahs like my friends do. I like to mention my weaknesses and how i will and do overcome them. It shows you're honest about yourself really. Also, talk with enthusiasm and no one can slate you for being passionate about something you love. When I was helping my friend with her interview practice, (she never had one before) I asked her why she wants to come to (name of college). She said because of the name and reputation. Bad mistake mentioning name and rep and grades. I think it goes much better if you say (the college has such a great atmosphere for learning and being the best you can be in life, it's just amazing!) that's my signature line for interviews, lol.

That's basically my tips!

Who did you have for your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Pokrok
Thanks. I think my interviewer was Mary Powell, I'll check the letter later if not. She was really nice and made me feel comfortable.

I tend to be the biggest bag nerves before anything, but when I start I tend to be fine. I'm not sure why but I seem to good at interviews, my school weren't bothered with me until my interview with the head teacher. I have had a lot of them though (7), for jobs and joining charity groups etc. I usually talk a lot and keep conversation flowing, no ums and ahs like my friends do. I like to mention my weaknesses and how i will and do overcome them. It shows you're honest about yourself really. Also, talk with enthusiasm and no one can slate you for being passionate about something you love. When I was helping my friend with her interview practice, (she never had one before) I asked her why she wants to come to (name of college). She said because of the name and reputation. Bad mistake mentioning name and rep and grades. I think it goes much better if you say (the college has such a great atmosphere for learning and being the best you can be in life, it's just amazing!) that's my signature line for interviews, lol.

That's basically my tips!

Who did you have for your interview?

Ah okay, thanks for that. Your formal offer should get back to you in no time then, surely. I'll keep those tips in mind in future. :smile:

I was originally supposed to have Mary Powell too, but I had to get it rescheduled so I had Remley Mann instead. She was really nice, I think she was American or something, she had a cool accent :smile: I think she's on the college video on the homepage lol
Reply 19
Results day soon! :smile: good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending