The Student Room Group

East London sixth forms

Yo so I'm thinking of applying for a few sixth forms as mine isnt great. Heres where I want to apply for (the main ones)
- Ilford county grammar
- Newham collegiate
- Brampton manor
- LAE stratford (don't have very high hopes for getting a place here since Im not on free school meals and a bunch of other stuff asw)

Brampton has some mad Oxbridge stats, and NCS teaching is supposedly very good and they have good Ivy League stats, and NCS also has good medicine support (not 100% set on medicine tho, still choosing between that, dentistry and biomed engineering)

I have a 2 cousins who both got into medicine in KCL and QMUL from the 2020 cohort - one from ilford county and one from woodford county (the sister school). I dont know anyone that goes to NCS however.

Even though I am only around 4-5 miles away from NCS/Brampton, somehow google maps is saying public transport takes an hour, probably cuz of newham traffic.

Ilford county is much closer to me in comparison (10-15 min bus ride). Do you think it would be worth the extra travelling to go to NCS for their benefits??

Cant speak for NCS, but I heard Brampton is like a millitary school and ICHS is much more chilled according to my cousins. What is the atmosphere like in Newham collegiate?

Out of the 4 sixth forms I have mentioned, Ilford county does the worst academically in a levels however even their results aren't too bad (average grade B) so like yea do you think I should main ilford county or NCS/Brampton??

I had my mocks early and have predicted grades 999998777777 which should be alright (comfortably meets ICHS entry requirements and think just scrapes Bramptons and NCS) I want to study Bio Chem Maths and one from either Economics/Psychology/Physics if I go to NCS/Brampton/LAE. ICHS lets you start off with 3 subjects in which case Ill just apply for Bio chem maths

is it worth travelling the extra for the benefits of brampton and ncs?? also does anyone commute to brampton/ncs from barkingside in ilford and if so how long does it taken??

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump x2
Reply 3
Original post by k3kashh
Yo so I'm thinking of applying for a few sixth forms as mine isnt great. Heres where I want to apply for (the main ones)
- Ilford county grammar
- Newham collegiate
- Brampton manor
- LAE stratford (don't have very high hopes for getting a place here since Im not on free school meals and a bunch of other stuff asw)

Brampton has some mad Oxbridge stats, and NCS teaching is supposedly very good and they have good Ivy League stats, and NCS also has good medicine support (not 100% set on medicine tho, still choosing between that, dentistry and biomed engineering)

I have a 2 cousins who both got into medicine in KCL and QMUL from the 2020 cohort - one from ilford county and one from woodford county (the sister school). I dont know anyone that goes to NCS however.

Even though I am only around 4-5 miles away from NCS/Brampton, somehow google maps is saying public transport takes an hour, probably cuz of newham traffic.

Ilford county is much closer to me in comparison (10-15 min bus ride). Do you think it would be worth the extra travelling to go to NCS for their benefits??

Cant speak for NCS, but I heard Brampton is like a millitary school and ICHS is much more chilled according to my cousins. What is the atmosphere like in Newham collegiate?

Out of the 4 sixth forms I have mentioned, Ilford county does the worst academically in a levels however even their results aren't too bad (average grade B) so like yea do you think I should main ilford county or NCS/Brampton??

I had my mocks early and have predicted grades 999998777777 which should be alright (comfortably meets ICHS entry requirements and think just scrapes Bramptons and NCS) I want to study Bio Chem Maths and one from either Economics/Psychology/Physics if I go to NCS/Brampton/LAE. ICHS lets you start off with 3 subjects in which case Ill just apply for Bio chem maths

is it worth travelling the extra for the benefits of brampton and ncs?? also does anyone commute to brampton/ncs from barkingside in ilford and if so how long does it taken??

Thanks

I'd say esp with your grades you also have a good chance of getting into LAE, i know people who have gone there who weren't fsm and didn't live in newham and their gpa was like a 7.5 so have an open mind. I'll be real with you ICHS is good and alot of the time these sixth forms get their grades because they're selective so if the commute is too far I would go ICHS. In terms of brampton being a military school, I feel like alot of these are simply rumours e.g. the no first bumps thing so I wouldn't pay attention to that.
Agree that Brampton looks a bit military, I rly didn't enjoy the open evening. I visited NCS for theirs as it wasn't online and found the atmosphere v positive. Me and my friends are just applying to as many as we can. You've got to apply to stand a chance of getting a place.
Reply 5
Original post by jhutchinson
Agree that Brampton looks a bit military, I rly didn't enjoy the open evening. I visited NCS for theirs as it wasn't online and found the atmosphere v positive. Me and my friends are just applying to as many as we can. You've got to apply to stand a chance of getting a place.

Ask me any question you want to know about NCS. I was worried about the same things but I got in.
Original post by BMH_561
Ask me any question you want to know about NCS. I was worried about the same things but I got in.

how early can you drop your fourth a level in NCS?
do u rlly have no time to revise properly?
Reply 7
Original post by k3kashh
- Ilford county grammar
- Newham collegiate
- Brampton manor

Thanks

What school did you get into in the end?

I am currently in this predicament
- Brampton
- NCS
- LAE Stratford
But in place of Ilford county, its: King Edwards VI Grammar School, London Academy of Excellence (Tottenham campus), Westminster City School, Harris Westminster Sixth Form and Seven Kings ilford.

I want to do Maths, Bio, Chem and Econ (may drop bio for Further Maths if I choose finance or Econ for psychology if I choose medicine after some work experience). Predicted grades are 99988888.

Heard Biology is not required for medicine at oxbridge/ivy/russel med schools and its only chemistry that is compulsory? Hence my gravitation towards further maths. Like you, I am not 100% medicine and have picked economics to open doors in finance - which traditionally bodes well with further maths. And I've picked maths + chemistry for chemical engineering - which both traditionally bode well with further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending