The Student Room Group

Nature vs nurture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kibalchich
Don't blame me for your own intellectual shortcomings.

You are confusing writing well with writing badly. Using complex words in complex sentence structures does not make you an intellectual, it makes you a poor wordsmith. There is not a trace of substance in any of your posts, just vacuous rubbish which you have repeatedly failed to clarify.
Reply 61
Original post by Tuerin
You are confusing writing well with writing badly. Using complex words in complex sentence structures does not make you an intellectual, it makes you a poor wordsmith. There is not a trace of substance in any of your posts, just vacuous rubbish which you have repeatedly failed to clarify.

The problem lies with your lack of understanding of basic sociological arguments.
The problem lies with your lack of understanding of basic sociological arguments.

I have repeatedly told you that you are not presenting an argument, so I cannot contradict you at all.

I will ask you this one final time, before I save any further time wasted in conversing with you:

Outline your argument. Try to write clearly and cut the crap.
Reply 63
Original post by Tuerin
I have repeatedly told you that you are not presenting an argument, so I cannot contradict you at all.

I will ask you this one final time, before I save any further time wasted in conversing with you:

I have outlined my argument. But here goes again...

You appear to have a problem with a discussion about the nature of crime, saying about this post

Original post by s.aley
That was actually a very good question. How do you define what a crime is? How do you define the boundaries? Who is to have the authority to define the boundaries? I think you'll find that it is pretty tricky to have an absolutist moral stance on anything. What we define as criminal behaviour is arbitrarlily labeled by societies.
I think you missed the point of the question, seeing as your answer seems to be pretty pointless.

this

Original post by Tuerin
I didn't miss anything, you are creating complications which don't exist. The emboldened text confuses moral law with criminal law. Who said anything about morality? I think you'll find they're very different things. A crime is an action or lack of action which goes contrary to law. It really is that simple; you seem intent on over-complicating it.

IMO, you appear to not have understood the point being made by s.aley. Which is that, in any discussion over what makes people criminal, it is useful, nay necessary, to unpack what criminal means as it is a socially constructed concept, i.e. who is it that gets to define what is criminal and what isn't, how does this happen, how do they come to be in this position of power, in whose interests do they act etc etc.

capiche?
Reply 64
Original post by Tuerin
I

I'm gonna jump in on this one.

Lets rephrase the question. What constitutes a crime?
That is what I think was meant by "define a criminal".

I personally would argue that is not a stupid question, because it doesn't have a simple answer (if you choose not to use some circular explanation).
Original post by s.aley
I'm gonna jump in on this one.

Lets rephrase the question. What constitutes a crime?
That is what I think was meant by "define a criminal".

I personally would argue that is not a stupid question, because it doesn't have a simple answer (if you choose not to use some circular explanation).

This is so TSR. A crime is an act which defies the law of a state. It is as simple as that. Without other words added before it, that is all it is.
IMO, you appear to not have understood the point being made by s.aley. Which is that, in any discussion over what makes people criminal, it is useful, nay necessary, to unpack what criminal means as it is a socially constructed concept, i.e. who is it that gets to define what is criminal and what isn't, how does this happen, how do they come to be in this position of power, in whose interests do they act etc etc.

capiche?

At last, a clear post. To see why I said to s.aley what I said you will need to read our entire conversation, but I stand by it. In your case you seem to be questioning the legitimacy of our laws and the powers of those who make them (see italics). What you seem to be missing is that while you may question the legitimacy of our laws (many would argue that our law is given credence by the fact that it has been created by democratically elected representatives) whether or not it is the law is not in question. It is the law, because the state in which we live enforces it, and anyone who contradicts it is a criminal by definition. Question the moral standards of our law all you want, but it won't change the fact that it is our law. As with s.aley, you have phrased your questions very badly and ended up asking wrong ones, only to be frustrated by my correct responses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Tuerin
Our law is given credence by the fact that it has been created by democratically elected representatives.

This is getting closer to the type of answer I was looking for with the question.
By what criteria do democratically elected representatives create laws?
Original post by s.aley
Your completely avoiding the question i'm trying to get at. Your answer is more of a tautology than a definition.
If you will allow me to rephrase again, what qualities does an act need defy the law of a state?

Is everyone in this thread high? I'm not avoiding a question, you're just not asking it very well. What on earth does 'what qualities does an act need defy the law of a state?' mean anyway? What is so difficult to understand about crime? There are very clear laws in place to stop people doing things in society. Example: murder. If you murder someone, you have committed a crime. What is so complex about that? If you do something which goes contrary to law, you have committed a crime.
Original post by s.aley
This is getting closer to the type of answer I was looking for with the question.
By what criteria do democratically elected representatives create laws?

If this was the sort of answer you have been looking for you have asked you questions very badly. Instead of asking: 'what defines a crime?', you should surely have been asking: 'what gives our laws legitimacy?' I am not at fault for your ineloquence. Please phrase your last question better. It doesn't mean anything. There are no 'criteria' for creating laws; MPs simply raise issues which they feel need addressing, such as tax, and debate measures to confront the problem before voting on the issue. There is no 'legal mark scheme', it's done on a problem-solving basis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Tuerin
If this was the sort of answer you have been looking for you have asked you questions very badly. Instead of asking: 'what defines a crime?', you should surely have been asking: 'what gives our laws legitimacy?' I am not at fault for your ineloquence. Please phrase your last question better. It doesn't mean anything. There are no 'criteria' for creating laws; MPs simply raise issues which they feel need addressing, such as tax, and debate measures to confront the problem before voting on the issue. There is no 'legal mark scheme', it's done on a problem-solving basis.

I admit the grammar of the question was wrong but you clearly knew what I was trying to get at.
Original post by s.aley
I admit the grammar of the question was wrong but you clearly knew what I was trying to get at.

You've been asking completely the wrong questions. You've been asking what defines a crime when you've mean to be asking what grants our laws legitimacy. Because of this, when I have repeatedly and correctly told you that a crime is simply an act which defies law, you have complained that I haven't answered the question which you meant to ask, but didn't.
Reply 72
Original post by Tuerin
You've been asking completely the wrong questions. You've been asking what defines a crime when you've mean to be asking what grants our laws legitimacy. Because of this, when I have repeatedly and correctly told you that a crime is simply an act which defies law, you have complained that I haven't answered the question which you meant to ask, but didn't.

OK. After thorough revision and correction, I pose the question, what grants our laws legitimacy?
Original post by s.aley
OK. After thorough revision and correction, I pose the question, what grants our laws legitimacy?

The fact that they are created by democratically elected representatives. In a sense, by extension, we the people write the laws ourselves since they are written by those we elect to office on manifestos promising to enact certain change. In practice, this is fallible since many of our elected representatives either do not fulfil certain promises (e.g. Labour's EU referendum) or even do the contrary (e.g. Clegg and tuition fees) once elected. I don't have an opinion on the question but I hope this has enlightened you somewhat.
Reply 74
Original post by Tuerin
At last, a clear post.

Its no different to my previous posts, I guess repetition has some value!

Original post by Tuerin
To see why I said to s.aley what I said you will need to read our entire conversation, but I stand by it.

I did read it. You haven't been able to clearly articulate your objection.

Original post by Tuerin
In your case you seem to be questioning the legitimacy of our laws and the powers of those who make them (see italics).

I'm asking questions, yes.

Original post by Tuerin
What you seem to be missing is that while you may question the legitimacy of our laws (many would argue that our law is given credence by the fact that it has been created by democratically elected representatives)

Again, this can be unpacked - how do people become elected? What social processes happen in terms of class, education etc. We have a cabinet composed of ex-Eton millionaires. How does this happen, why aren't ordinary working class people represented more in Parliament? etc etc

Original post by Tuerin
whether or not it is the law is not in question. It is the law, because the state in which we live enforces it, and anyone who contradicts it is a criminal by definition.

Hmmmm, tautological!

Original post by Tuerin
Question the moral standards of our law all you want, but it won't change the fact that it is our law. As with s.aley, you have phrased your questions very badly and ended up asking wrong ones, only to be frustrated by my correct responses.

You have an over inflated opinion of yourself.

Now, if you could articulate your objections to a discussion on how criminality comes to be defined?
Reply 75
Original post by Tuerin
Is everyone in this thread high? I'm not avoiding a question, you're just not asking it very well. What on earth does 'what qualities does an act need defy the law of a state?' mean anyway? What is so difficult to understand about crime? There are very clear laws in place to stop people doing things in society. Example: murder. If you murder someone, you have committed a crime. What is so complex about that? If you do something which goes contrary to law, you have committed a crime.

This is a circular argument. "A crime is something that is against the law. It is against the law because it is a crime". Not very helpful. Much more helpful to ask (of murder for example), "how does killing become a crime? Why is it sometimes not a crime? What is it about state killing that makes it legitimate? What power is involved? Whose interests?" etc
Reply 76
Original post by Tuerin

That's exactly what I have been asking.
Reply 77
Original post by Tuerin
The fact that they are created by democratically elected representatives. In a sense, by extension, we the people write the laws ourselves since they are written by those we elect to office on manifestos promising to enact certain change. In practice, this is fallible since many of our elected representatives either do not fulfil certain promises (e.g. Labour's EU referendum) or even do the contrary (e.g. Clegg and tuition fees) once elected. I don't have an opinion on the question but I hope this has enlightened you somewhat.

How do these representatives come to be in the position to be standing for election? Whose interests do they represent? Why are privately educated people over-represented in Parliament? What legitimacy does a cabinet of millionaires have to tell people how to run their lives?
x

The one with the inflated ego is you; unlike s.aley, who has acknowledged her error and moved on cordially, you continue to headbang your badly worded posts. It is now clear that you have been enquiring as to the legitimacy of our law-making process - hence the italics in the last post and your complaints about eton cabinet ministers etc. You don't seem to be conceding at any point that you have not been phrasing this question in your past posts - including those where you backed s.aley up on her posts, posts she now acknowledges to have been asking the wrong questions to what she meant to be asking - defining 'criminal' instead of locating the legitimacy of the law-making process.

Let's be clear:

You have historically asked what defines a crime. I have responded correctly by saying that a crime is an act which defies the law.

You are now going on (in very circumlocutory and confused language) about the legitimacy of our legal process. I have no opinions on the legitimacy of our legal process; frankly I couldn't care less whether our elected representatives are worthy or not of being in position. I think anyone's as good as anyone as ultimately policy is still going to be essentially the same. Anyone who knows anything about politics knows that it's not the elected representatives that influence policy but members of the media and finance.

To conclude: I find your language poorly constructed and you rather stubborn, even when it's clear that you've been wrong for ~30 posts in your phrasing of questions and the consequent (correct) answers offered to you, then met with undeserved snobbishness and dismissal. I have responded thus far to clarify your objections to the original discussion I was in but since it has mutated away from that (and because I despair at your ways) I am departing this discussion and bid you goodnight.
That's exactly what I have been asking.

I despair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending