The Student Room Group

Nature vs nurture

Do you believe a person is born a criminal or do you believe that they are nurtured into it by their environment and relationships with people. (PS talking about serious crime Ie serial killers etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rsimpson
Do you believe a person is born a criminal or do you believe that they are nurtured into it by their environment and relationships with people. (PS talking about serious crime Ie serial killers etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, these studies suggest they are born not bred. I suppose nurture can make problems worse though. Maybe it is a bit of both for some people.

But I go more for nature because lots of people have bad upbringings and situations but only a small percentage of people go on to commit these serious crimes.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/08/28/20149676.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5979198/Psychopaths-are-born-not-bred-according-to-a-new-study.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
If you are interested in the topic I suggest watching a documentary done by BBC Horizon: What makes us good or evil. (You can find it on YouTube)
From what I recall it talks about how psychopaths have an "evil" gene (nature) which can be activated by bad early experiences (nurture), or something along those lines, sorry I can't remember exactly.
A lot of things seem to be influenced by both nature and nurture. :smile:
Bits of both I think. It's impossible to ignore biology as a way to explain behaviour so that's obviously a factor. But at the same time, two people with pretty much the same biological disposition to (for example, aggression) can lead entirely different lives and their behaviour will be entirely different as a result.. You certainly couldn't scan someone's genes and stick them in prison for being a future murderer because they have the 'bad person' mutation.

Twin & adoption studies are probably the most useful meaningful research into this sort of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Define a criminal.
Reply 5
Nature vs Nurture is an extremely delicate subject to handle and something I have always questioned myself. Are we born bad ? Is a psychopath born that way ? It it in his DNA to be a killer... Or whether it is our upbringing, the people we were surrounded with throughout our lives and the things we may have done that create who we are. Jean Jacques Rousseau, a french philosopher had said "Men are born good, it's society that corrupts them".
Reply 6
Original post by snozzle
Define a criminal.

As a wild stab in the dark, I'd say someone who is proven to have committed a crime :wink:
Reply 7
Reminds me a bit of the Milgram obedience experiments.

Interesting point about that experiment is that it was the 'good order follower' who was prepared to inflict a great deal of pain on a person. The deviant would have been the 'good person' in that scenario....who refused to follow orders.

I think who is and who isn't a deviant (criminal) can depend upon social and historical context and contingencies....and point of view.
You're not born good or bad.

You're only born with certain tendencies towards being good or bad that can be triggered later on by environmental factors.

Many of your genes may never get turned on at all throughout your life and some genes can be triggered only temporarily.

That's true to all the qualities you may have. Your risk of obesity (the Pima people of South American are malnourished and thin, but when they move to America, an obesogenic environment, then about 50% of them develop diabetis, 95% of the time alongside obesity or overweight), your risk of certain cancers, your risk of depression or your chances of being outgoing and happy in life.
Reply 9
Original post by Dragonfly07
You're not born good or bad.

You're only born with certain tendencies towards being good or bad that can be triggered later on by environmental factors.

Many of your genes may never get turned on at all throughout your life and some genes can be triggered only temporarily.

That's true to all the qualities you may have. Your risk of obesity (the Pima people of South American are malnourished and thin, but when they move to America, an obesogenic environment, then about 50% of them develop diabetis, 95% of the time alongside obesity or overweight), your risk of certain cancers, your risk of depression or your chances of being outgoing and happy in life.

Sure but what are 'good' and 'bad'? You seem to be assuming they have an essence.

I think we can agree what cancer is but what about 'the good man'?
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do think that genetics play a role in this, but only in a latent potential to be snapped by situations of nurturing. No crazy serial killer gene would persist consistently because I doubt it would be conducive to survival in a population so the pressures of NS would remove it. But a single mutation could possibly produce a psychopath.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Everyone keeps framing the nature vs nurture debate in the wrong light. The key is to think about the situation in terms of ranges. For all but a few extreme examples the potential range of expression for any given trait is determined by biology. Then environmental factors are going to influence development and behavior to determine where within that range the trait is going to be expressed at any given time.

I wrote about this a bit recently and if you find the above interesting feel free to check out my article on the topic: http://lofalexandria.blogspot.com/2013/01/nature-vs-nurture-debate-is-framed.html
Reply 12
There are clearly elements from both nature and nurture at play during a person's development. I would however say that between these two factors is accounted all that a person becomes or will become. Individuality is nowhere to be found.
The question is not which forms our development, but how they work together to do so. Psychological conditions have both genetic and environmental factors involved.

Original post by miser
There are clearly elements from both nature and nurture at play during a person's development. I would however say that between these two factors is accounted all that a person becomes or will become. Individuality is nowhere to be found.

Basically this.
Reply 14
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The question is not which forms our development, but how they work together to do so. Psychological conditions have both genetic and environmental factors involved.

Basically this.

Are you a Jain? :biggrin:
Original post by miser
Are you a Jain? :biggrin:

Haha, no. But I've been inspired by their philosophy. I follow a jain-esque diet.
Well clearly both are important, but I think it's wrong to treat people like passive victims of their genetics or environment. There must be a role for active human choice and agency.
Reply 17
Haha, no. But I've been inspired by their philosophy. I follow a jain-esque diet.

I do the same, though I'm not vegan. They're probably the best religion going, though I don't personally agree with pacifism.
Original post by Norbertnorbert
Well clearly both are important, but I think it's wrong to treat people like passive victims of their genetics or environment. There must be a role for active human choice and agency.

It may appear morally wrong, but its true. We are a product of our environment and born characteristics (genetics and epigenetic factors)

Original post by miser
I do the same, though I'm not vegan. They're probably the best religion going, though I don't personally agree with pacifism.

I'm not vegan either. I see dairy and eggs as 'fruit of the animal' as it were. I find their absolute dedication to pacifism one of their most appealing aspects.
Reply 19
I'm not vegan either. I see dairy and eggs as 'fruit of the animal' as it were. I find their absolute dedication to pacifism one of their most appealing aspects.

Don't wish to talk off-topic so put in spoilers:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending