The Student Room Group

What A-Levels Should I take for a career in marketing?

I have a combination of subjects to choose from however, I want to do a mixture between traditional facilitating subjects and so called 'soft' subjects but I don't know what to do. I have been reading a lot on subjects that are 'blacklisted' and unwanted at certain universities and they prefer traditional subjects. Here are my choices:

Economics, media studies, English Language, French

Business studies, Psychology, English Language, French

Business studies, Psychology, English Language, Media Studies

Economics, psychology, media studies, English Language
Original post by milkshake15
I have a combination of subjects to choose from however, I want to do a mixture between traditional facilitating subjects and so called 'soft' subjects but I don't know what to do. I have been reading a lot on subjects that are 'blacklisted' and unwanted at certain universities and they prefer traditional subjects. Here are my choices:

Where's Maths? I'd take Maths, Economics, and two other subjects for AS (possibly including FM).
Reply 2
surprisingly I'm good with business but not so great with Maths. To do Maths, you must have a B or higher and I'm predicted a C
Reply 3
I'd recommend Economics, French, English Language and Media Studies as the first three are more traditional. Don't be too put off by 'soft' subjects though, especially as media is quite relevant to marketing. If you get strong grades in all, it shouldn't be a problem. It's better than doing less well in subjects like Maths or Physics.
Reply 4
I would go For Economics, Media, Psychology, and French
Reply 5
Original post by milkshake15

Why is it that everybody is recommending French? I chose business studies, psychology, history and music (just because i play guitar and thought it would be a fun subject). and music i won't take on to my full a levels, just as an AS. At first i was into hotel management but recently i've been borderlined between the two.
Reply 6
DO NOT TAKE MEDIA STUDIES

Posted from TSR Mobile
Difficult one, you should take business because in year 13 there are sections in marketing which is what you want to go into but of course economics is classed as "traditional".

Also, if you enjoy media, take it. It hasn't stopped me applying to unis for maths which has no correlation to media whatsoever :smile:
Reply 8
Definitely do media! The OCR course covers so much marketing in the 2nd year especially online Marketing which is the next generation of Marketing. I have a conditional offer for Lancaster to study marketing and advertising and for A levels I took Business&Economics, Media and Law with an AS in PE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest