The Student Room Group

Panic reading number plates

I'm really worried about booking my test because I panic when I read number plates. I can read them because I have done so before, and my instructor made sure that I could before starting our lessons, but often I start worrying and the letters tend to blur and merge together. I do wear glasses and have spoken to my optician who says I should have no problem reading them based on my test results, which makes me believe it's more likely a psychological problem I have rather than a physical. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and how they overcame it. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You worry about reading a fricking numberplate?!?!
Well, it's not a matter between life and death so you shouldn't panic.

And besides,even if you do misread it wrong I do believe it's only considered a minor in your test. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by Mother_Russia
Well, it's not a matter between life and death so you shouldn't panic.

And besides,even if you do misread it wrong I do believe it's only considered a minor in your test. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My instructor told me that you get three tries on trying to read it, if you fail 3 times then you fail the test and your provisional licence will be revoked because they'll believe you lied about your vision when applying for the licence
Reply 4
Original post by 101101
You worry about reading a fricking numberplate?!?!

I ain't proud of it but yeah I do, I have no worries about the actual driving
Original post by clairew
My instructor told me that you get three tries on trying to read it, if you fail 3 times then you fail the test and your provisional licence will be revoked because they'll believe you lied about your vision when applying for the licence

Yeah, I just read up on it. Yes well, you get 3 times trying to read it!

What are you so panicked about? It's what.... 7 letters/numbers? You can see them, and you can read them. That's all they want to know.
Reply 6
Original post by Mother_Russia
Yeah, I just read up on it. Yes well, you get 3 times trying to read it!

What are you so panicked about? It's what.... 7 letters/numbers? You can see them, and you can read them. That's all they want to know.

I really don't know why I panic, that's the problem, I had fears about driving when I first started and I've not got over it and I'm a confident driver, but this has just stuck with me and I don't know what to do
Reply 7
Thats completely understandable. You should try to relax more and even take some soft relaxants.
I was very afraid of night driving. I do have problems with night vision even with glasses I even had a restriction untill two years ago, had to take another driving test to remove the restriction. Still not driving at night unless it is absolutely inavidble.

Do you wear your glasses fordriving?
Do youusually see well with them on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by clairew
I really don't know why I panic, that's the problem, I had fears about driving when I first started and I've not got over it and I'm a confident driver, but this has just stuck with me and I don't know what to do

Ok. Well you've had fears about driving. But you said in your first post that it isn't the driving that's the problem, you're absolutely fine at that, it's just the 30 second thing you need to do before that. And that hasn't got anything to do with driving, it's just testing eye sight which you must have done loads of times before (I assume) when going to the opticians etc.

So, maybe that's what panicking you? Try separating it from the driving part of it.
Reply 9
It's quite easy really. Look at the number plate and repeat what you see when you are sure you have properly seen it. So for example, if it says N56 093, you say: "en five six zero nine three". :u: If you want to be very particular, you'd say: "november fife six, zero niner three". Have fun. :u:
Reply 10
If you misread one plate, you get another car and another etc... 3 tries. It's only 20 metres away, shorter than you think.
Reply 11
If you have distance glasses, wear them. It makes life much easier if your vision without them is acceptable but "borderline".

If you find the letters merge, just read what you see as it doesn't matter if they're out of order. Dyslexics are catered for, so it's only important to identify the digits, rather than get them in the right order. If you're having trouble verbalising, you may copy down what you see on a piece of paper.

Finally, don't worry about the difference between letter O and number zero, they're both the same and the examiner will accept either. Same with I and 1. Errors between M and W may be accepted on the first attempt if you're standing further away than the legal distance, but if the examiner gets the tape measure out on the 4th and final attempt, it has to be correct.
Original post by clairew
I'm really worried about booking my test because I panic when I read number plates. I can read them because I have done so before, and my instructor made sure that I could before starting our lessons, but often I start worrying and the letters tend to blur and merge together. I do wear glasses and have spoken to my optician who says I should have no problem reading them based on my test results, which makes me believe it's more likely a psychological problem I have rather than a physical. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and how they overcame it. Thanks :smile:

You can wear glasses to read them with if you like. Don't worry as 20m away is not far.
Reply 13
Take some form of herbal sedative, that's what I've heard people who stress about their test do. It sounds like you're over-thinking things, so it should help.
Reply 14
I just had my driving TEST. I was told to read the numberplate and I read it wrong. He then said to re-read it and I got it wrong again. On both occasions I thought the G was a Q. I did mention I couldn't tell what the letter was and he simply said "It doesn't matter" and we just moved on to opening the bonnet of my vehicle. My heart literally sunk when he said it was incorrect! I then went on to pass the test first time ahahaha
Original post by Ghewitt
I just had my driving TEST. I was told to read the numberplate and I read it wrong. He then said to re-read it and I got it wrong again. On both occasions I thought the G was a Q. I did mention I couldn't tell what the letter was and he simply said "It doesn't matter" and we just moved on to opening the bonnet of my vehicle. My heart literally sunk when he said it was incorrect! I then went on to pass the test first time ahahaha

Was it the only time this happened? Were you over-stressed?
Stress sometimes causes your eyesight to be distorted but it also could mean you have a slight astigmatism and glasses while driving could help a lot.
Original post by Kathy89
Was it the only time this happened? Were you over-stressed?
Stress sometimes causes your eyesight to be distorted but it also could mean you have a slight astigmatism and glasses while driving could help a lot.

I think he'd know by now if he needs specs....he was probably just nervous like when I'm nervous I lose my hearing.
I go "wuh?" each time after they speak and the person has to keep repeating even louder each time.
Proper
****ing
embarrassing
:colonhash:
Haven't done it since 19, 20 ish once I realised I do it but still.
It's like forgetting your name, which I haven't done. I have forgotten my number though lol

Like I was so nervous when I first took my driving lessons, and I knew the instructor would think I'm retarded but he was a top bloke afterall and I got used to him, and I was well prepared for the actual test.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Man.bear.pig
I think he'd know by now if he needs specs....he was probably just nervous like when I'm nervous I lose my hearing.
I go "wuh?" each time after they speak and the person has to keep repeating even louder each time.
Proper
****ing
embarrassing
:colonhash:
Haven't done it since 19, 20 ish once I realised I do it but still.
It's like forgetting your name, which I haven't done. I have forgotten my number though lol

Like I was so nervous when I first took my driving lessons, and I knew the instructor would think I'm retarded but he was a top bloke afterall and I got used to him, and I was well prepared for the actual test.

you'd think wouldn't you, but plenty of people need specs and they don't realise their eyesight is ****.

small minor changes over years are adapted to and become unnoticeable to many, and because they think their eyesight is fine, there's no reason for them to have their eyes checked out.
I failed my test on eye sight. I mistoke a v for a y and that was it failed
Original post by Dawn Shannon
I failed my test on eye sight. I mistoke a v for a y and that was it failed

Check your eyes, maybe you need some glasses for driving.... don't worry too much about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending