The Student Room Group

Serious Thought Experiment involving £300billion.

You have £300billion of real cash value at your singular unreserved disposal. For this thought experiment, it need not matter where the money came from or how it came about. Basically, you have a clean and total amount of £300billion.

Now, you're a fairly bright individual and have a good level IQ (meaning you are able to go up to Phd levels and you can learn mostly anything if you simply put your mind to it, as financial or health issues aren't a problem).

Now, what would you do in this situation and how would you go about it? For example, how would you strategically and cleverly tackle world poverty (taking into account that trillions of pounds would actually be needed alongside other methods besides actual money)? How would you try to advance humanity? Set up your own rival space agency at a budget of £10-15billion a year for 5-10 years at first? Some sort of rival microsoft/apple (taking into account that if you put your mind to it, you can learn mostly anything if you're conscientious and steadfast).

Basically, how would you go about this, with the primary goals that are to advance the human race, go towards solving national and global issues and maintaining your wealth.

BTW, you are a single individual with this cash.

P.S.

Regarding the £300billion that you singularly have, I reiterate that it need not matter where it came from. You simply have it all to yourself. Pass over that seemingly unrealistic (in the actual real world, at least) fact and then proceed with replying to the thread.

EDIT:

LOL, why did I get negs? How can I get negs? There isn't even anything controversial here? :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To take a very optimistic approach:

I'd use the money to construct an Orion nuclear pulse propulsion ship, and then use that ship to capture a moderate sized asteroid - a 1km wide asteroid can contain over £20 trillion worth of metals - precious and otherwise. With that money I would build more ships - to make sure I have a sustained income - and invest in pretty much every industry I possibly could. After that I could do pretty much anything I wanted; personally I would try to overthrow the kleptocratic governments of Africa in order to get that continent's economy growing - allowing me to make even more money from the increased demand for resources and to afford really expensive projects like the terraforming of Mars and Venus and colonization of the rest of the solar system - all while simultaneously lifting billions of people out of poverty.
Original post by Nick100

I'd use the money to construct an Orion nuclear pulse propulsion ship, and then use that ship to capture a moderate sized asteroid - a 1km wide asteroid can contain over £20 trillion worth of metals - precious and otherwise. With that money I would build more ships - to make sure I have a sustained income - and invest in pretty much every industry I possibly could. After that I could do pretty much anything I wanted; personally I would try to overthrow the kleptocratic governments of Africa in order to get that continent's economy growing - allowing me to make even more money from the increased demand for resources and to afford really expensive projects like the terraforming of Mars and Venus and colonization of the rest of the solar system - all while simultaneously lifting billions of people out of poverty.

Is that possible at the moment and how long would it take?
Original post by UniversalAutocrat

It's possible, though it's probably a push at £300B.
Invest in street gangs, mercanaries and arm those who want to join my militia, then throw money at scientists and engineers to create me a red light saber, like the eye of a korabaan basilisk (or neg button on tsr.)

Bribe someone in power to make me a lord.

Register myself as a sith.

Train my mercenary militia in the ways of absolute power.

Start a BBC programme lasting 8-10episodes per series named The (darth) Apprentice.

Make a clone army of laser wielding sheep.
Then over throw the Academy and other places of power in london.

I'd also make sure that all my lecturers / tutors and any other form of master is killed just incase oh and exiles too...dangerous folk.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Nick100

And when civil war breaks out across vast areas of the uncontrollably large continent, with malitia armed by any opposing force in the world against your apparent plan for world domination, what will you do to control this and ultimately achieve your goal?
Reply 6

It's certainly possible; the UK's entire nuclear arsenal has a price tag well under £100 billion and that's including all the advanced delivery systems, stealth submarines and other measures which wouldn't be needed for building an Orion ship. The ship itself would probably be about as expensive as an aircraft carrier, the fuel pellets (basically nuclear and thermonuclear bombs) would be relatively inexpensive once a manufacturing process was created (they wouldn't need any advanced delivery systems; they just fall behind the vehicle or asteroid and explode). In terms of how long it would take; the Apollo program took less than ten years to set up with a substantially smaller budget than £300 billion.

The main problems are political and come from the required act building and detonating literally hundreds of nuclear bombs - landing the first asteroid on Earth would probably ruin a pretty big chunk of Antarctica too (assuming that's where you landed it). The Orion program was seriously considered by the US in the 1960s; it was shelved because of its environmental impact and because of the nuclear test ban treaty.

A private individual could pull something like this off if they had the funds, but they might have to put some of their fuel pellets aside to scare off any governments which would try to block the launch, and they'd probably need to keep those aside in order to guard the £20 trillion worth of asteroid they're landing on Earth.
Reply 7
Original post by Mockery
And when civil war breaks out across vast areas of the uncontrollably large continent, with malitia armed by any opposing force in the world against your apparent plan for world domination, what will you do to control this and ultimately achieve your goal?

The goal here isn't to take over so much as to ensure that the African economies are free to grow to their potential; that said large parts of Africa have been taken over by imperialists before and that was with 19th century technology and if you really wanted to go all "world domination" on the continent you probably could. That isn't really what we need though - we just want it to industrialize so that we can buy rockets and other cool things from it using the stuff from the asteroids (which would diminish in value quickly without a growing world economy - Africa is the continent with the most scope for growth).

If we are going to do some invading; don't try to take it all at once, and don't do stupid things to make the population hate you, and people won't rebel in large numbers. Create areas of prosperity around the continent and then expand them - make people want to be part of the empire.

I acknowledge that this outcome is probably unrealistically positive, but I think it would be doable with the kind of resources we're talking about.
Reply 8
Buy my own small country and build a world class research centre for developing the perfect designer drug similar to 'Soma' in Huxley's Brave new world . Pay for a personal board of Psychiatrists and Psychologists and Philosophers, economists, and Scientists to advise me on how i can make the most out of my life and my money. ( Undoubtly a lot of time and money would be spent on charitable ventures)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MattKneale
It's possible, though it's probably a push at £300B.

I don't think it's that much of a push; £300 billion is approximately the budget of the US military and that includes maintenance of the nuclear arsenal.
Reply 10
No amount of money would tackle world poverty with the present system (of running things) in place.
Reply 11
Original post by Martyn*
No amount of money would tackle world poverty with the present system (of running things) in place.

What about 1000 gazillion pounds :ahee:
Original post by Martyn*

Yes, hence why the person in question would have to consult with leading economists, policy-makers etc to find the best possible means to tackle poverty and hunger - as it has since been acknowledged by people with common sense that you cannot just throw lots and lots of money at these problems.
I'd donate £2 a month to charities in Africa.

Other than that, I'd do anything and everything I wanted until I died.
Reply 14
60000000000 freddo bars.
Original post by Dslash
60000000000 freddo bars.

You'd still have some £180B left. :colonhash:
Original post by Raheem786
Probably the best answer so far. :biggrin:

*Thumbs up*

How is it? :lolwut:
Reply 17
Original post by Nick100
The goal here isn't to take over so much as to ensure that the African economies are free to grow to their potential; that said large parts of Africa have been taken over by imperialists before and that was with 19th century technology and if you really wanted to go all "world domination" on the continent you probably could. That isn't really what we need though - we just want it to industrialize so that we can buy rockets and other cool things from it using the stuff from the asteroids (which would diminish in value quickly without a growing world economy - Africa is the continent with the most scope for growth).

If we are going to do some invading; don't try to take it all at once, and don't do stupid things to make the population hate you, and people won't rebel in large numbers. Create areas of prosperity around the continent and then expand them - make people want to be part of the empire.

I acknowledge that this outcome is probably unrealistically positive, but I think it would be doable with the kind of resources we're talking about.

It wouldn't be spears vs machineguns this time around you know. They do have militaries with fighter jets and AK-47s in Africa you know. Yes the Western military is still a step above but because of the closing in the technology gap any plans to take over all of Africa would require a full scale total war as opposed to the sideshow colonial adventures of the 19th century. And I think a total war with Africa would blow all your £300 billion before you even made it to Timbuktu.
Reply 18
You'd still have some £180B left. :colonhash:

...Maybe I wanted some left? :wink: :awesome:
Reply 19
You have £300billion of real cash value at your singular unreserved disposal. For this thought experiment, it need not matter where the money came from or how it came about. Basically, you have a clean and total amount of £300billion.

Now, you're a fairly bright individual and have a good level IQ (meaning you are able to go up to Phd levels and you can learn mostly anything if you simply put your mind to it, as financial or health issues aren't a problem).

Now, what would you do in this situation and how would you go about it? For example, how would you strategically and cleverly tackle world poverty (taking into account that trillions of pounds would actually be needed alongside other methods besides actual money)? How would you try to advance humanity? Set up your own rival space agency at a budget of £10-15billion a year for 5-10 years at first? Some sort of rival microsoft/apple (taking into account that if you put your mind to it, you can learn mostly anything if you're conscientious and steadfast).

Basically, how would you go about this, with the primary goals that are to advance the human race, go towards solving national and global issues and maintaining your wealth.

BTW, you are a single individual with this cash.

P.S.

Regarding the £300billion that you singularly have, I reiterate that it need not matter where it came from. You simply have it all to yourself. Pass over that seemingly unrealistic (in the actual real world, at least) fact and then proceed with replying to the thread.

You are not going to to solve world poverty with £300 billion. I would guess that there is already more aid money (be it from governments, charities, NGOs, micro finance, etc.) going toward this yearly and we haven't really gotten far in the grand scheme of things.

Now development economists have carried out experimental studies and know certain ways to improve things on a small scale (microeconomic) e.g. provide and get people to utilise say medical care, malaria nets, that sort of thing. But tackling poverty as a whole is a totally different animal (macroeconomic). It would require to change/improve the entire economic setup of a country.

One of the most famous development economist these days giving a TED talk. Very interesting watch at any rate, and particularly regarding this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending