The Student Room Group

Strange emotions/thoughts relating to people and relationships

I've found myself thinking about relationships now that I've almost finished my a levels and am moving onto university but whenever I picture someone else having/wanting to have a relationship with me, platonic or otherwise, I feel this strong and unpleasant sensation that ranges from momentary anxiety, anger or annoyance at the idea which then will just stop suddenly, as if I never felt it and I'm left as I was before.

I'm unsure if this is related but, whenever I'm in public and in a populated space, i.e. a shop or a street, I often feel more aggressive or just experience violent thoughts or thoughts of performing violent actions directed at some random stranger I see. This has no external effect on me (or at least none I'm aware of) and, like the experiences I listed earlier, will just cease after a certain time and I'm left in the same emotional state as before it happened.

Is this just angst? Or is this something more serious?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've found myself thinking about relationships now that I've almost finished my a levels and am moving onto university but whenever I picture someone else having/wanting to have a relationship with me, platonic or otherwise, I feel this strong and unpleasant sensation that ranges from momentary anxiety, anger or annoyance at the idea which then will just stop suddenly, as if I never felt it and I'm left as I was before.

I'm unsure if this is related but, whenever I'm in public and in a populated space, i.e. a shop or a street, I often feel more aggressive or just experience violent thoughts or thoughts of performing violent actions directed at some random stranger I see. This has no external effect on me (or at least none I'm aware of) and, like the experiences I listed earlier, will just cease after a certain time and I'm left in the same emotional state as before it happened.

Is this just angst? Or is this something more serious?
Thanks

I'm no psychologist but it sounds like you may need one. Even a GP or Counselor as a first port of call may be able to help out.

Here I could only guess, my guess is that it could be anything from past bad experiences with people manifesting itself all the way to more serious mental health stuff. Definitely get professional help though as even if its not the worst it's better to know. You don't want to risk it ending in a bad way if you leave it as sone stuff may get progressively worse over time. I wouldn't leave it to forum users to determine either, definitely get professional diagnosis.
Hi there,

You’re not the first person to feel this but there is always a solution to this.

When it comes to your thoughts about having a relationship and the feelings you get when imagining the scene, I consider it as angst. This is probably as a result of a personal experience or from what you’ve heard from friends, social media and so on.
But I suggest you have a free mind on this. When those thoughts come in, fight, distract your mind with something else and keep doing it that way till such thoughts are unable to set in.

And for the aggressive thoughts you have when you see people in public, this is more than angst. I think there’s a personal resentment you have towards people and it needs to be fixed. Think more of loving people and believe that humans are filled with love and take away the hatred. If you are unable to tackle this on your own, I suggest you see a therapist for help.

This might not manifest physically for now but if it continues, you won’t know when you will start exhibiting those imaginations.

Chuks

University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending