The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Strange. I know quite a few people who have mentioned Mathematics (among other things) in their PS and been accepted...

The college/department prides itself in it's admissions literature and the department in particular on the open days for being able to offer a degree that is flexible enough to incorporate something from almost all of UCLs 33 (?) departments.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Its true, especially if you talk about management or something. Im a 3rd year, I had a chat with some of my 2nd year lecturers a while ago when i was getting references for postgrad applications (incidently got offers from the top 4 uk unis). Its just pointless if they give offers to people who blatently arnt aiming for L100 (straight econ more specifically).
Reply 3
well its a bit harsh on someone who say applies to Economics and Management at Oxford and Economics at all the rest. However i do like the fact that UCL actually value the PS, as opposed to some uni's.
Reply 4
herol
Make sure you dont mention a subject other than economics or you will be most likely be automatically rejected.

I'd second that. At the UCL open day i attended i had a chat with the admissions tutor and he said that he knows a lot of people apply for joint courses at places like LSE and that he gets personal statements with people saying they want to do accounting and finance etc and that made it an easy rejection.
Reply 5
yeh it would make sense.
traum applied for E&M at oxford, and was rejected by UCL.
jakatak applied for maths and economics at lse and was rejected by ucl.
i applied for M&E at lse and was rejected by ucl too.
Hmm, I know people who have offers from LSE for Acc&Fin who have UCL L100 offers and I have known people to be E&M at Oxford and PPE who got them in the past. In general, I've seen quite a few personal statement from people who have applied, got offers, and didn't have a 'pure economics' PS.

Pemberton still reads and approves every L100 application (or declines unless they are considered an 'immediate reject').
Reply 7
Well unless the lecturer who i spoke to is lying (who happened to be one of your lecturers this year :P ) they do discriminate against PS aimed towards a joint course not offered by ucl. I dont think the fact that you know some people who mentioned other subjects is evidence that they do not heavily discriminate against such PS (since you probably dont have information on all the rejections). Anyhow, just ask pemberton or another person who is involved in admissions if you dont believe it :P .
Preston or Carlin? :smile:

I'm sure they discriminate, but it's not 'auto-reject and get the **** out of here'. I'm sure they can still readily identify a good candidate even if the PS isn't pure Economics.

I do wonder though, if someone wrote a PS saying 'I want to study L100 Economics at UCL to be lectured by Verry, Pavoni, Preston and co, etc' would that seriously swing it in favour...? Big gamble anyway :smile:
Reply 9
carlin :P shes one of the best lecturers imo, shes a good public speaker and actually seems to give the impression that she enjoys teaching (unlike quite a few other lecturers). btw hows simon lee at teaching b203 this year? improved?
Carlin is ace :cool:

Lee has improved quite a lot. But the bits where his notes aren't digitised/written up are dreadful. Otherwise, it's lot like Pedro (Carnero) and that wasn't exactly fab. I'm not sure if there is a good way to teach econometrics to be honest...
Reply 11
hey guys i know this is a very old thread however i wanted to ask im applying for maths and economics at other places so my ps is maths and economics based. the outline of my ps is
talk about interest in maths
how maths lead me on to be interested in economics
books etc
is this ok?
Reply 12
roshi
hey guys i know this is a very old thread however i wanted to ask im applying for maths and economics at other places so my ps is maths and economics based. the outline of my ps is
talk about interest in maths
how maths lead me on to be interested in economics
books etc
is this ok?

Why don't you just apply for Maths with Economics?
Reply 13
I didn't even mention economics once in my personal statement, yet got an offer for maths with economics!
Reply 14
babylazy i dont want to do a maths with economics degree i would rather do an economics degree and take optional modules in maths
Reply 15
bt_1000
I didn't even mention economics once in my personal statement, yet got an offer for maths with economics!

you're not in the econ department. You're is a weaker off shoot course.

Latest

Trending

Trending