The Student Room Group

C3 January 2013 25/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by otrivine
about the domain for part b

ok look at the restriction of f(x) u have from 0 to pi/2 inclusive and for g(x) you have greater than or equal to 0.
now when you shift the graph by pi/2 to the left the domain is restricted by that of g(x) coz it is always greater than or equal to 0. so the domain has to be greater than or equal to 0 and where will you stop then you stop at pi/2 coz u shifted that pi by pi/2 to the left.
Its just like seeing what will be common for both of the functions.
Original post by AS01
ok look at the restriction of f(x) u have from 0 to pi/2 inclusive and for g(x) you have greater than or equal to 0.
now when you shift the graph by pi/2 to the left the domain is restricted by that of g(x) coz it is always greater than or equal to 0. so the domain has to be greater than or equal to 0 and where will you stop then you stop at pi/2 coz u shifted that pi by pi/2 to the left.
Its just like seeing what will be common for both of the functions.

so do u mean the answer is x>equal to -pie/2 ?
Reply 1382
so do u mean the answer is x>equal to -pie/2 ?

no its 0<=fg(x)<=pi/2
Original post by AS01
no its 0<=fg(x)<=pi/2

but tell will that give maths error and why 0
Reply 1384
but tell will that give maths error and why 0

when u keep 0 you get cospi/2 right? which is 0
why do u get maths error?
Original post by AS01
its cos sin was negative! and also obtuse means betwn 90 and 180 and tan is positive in 3rd and first quadrant so it was negative.
if cos was negative then that means only sin is positive coz sin is positive in second quadrant which is between 90 and 180

I still have no idea where you got obtuse and all that stuff from :frown: when it wasn't mentioned in the question.

I've always thought that if cos was positive... that means its either in A or C quadrant.... if its negative then that means its positive in S and T quadrant :s-smilie:

Am I missing something here... sorry this is going on a bit now :tongue:
Original post by AS01
when u keep 0 you get cospi/2 right? which is 0
why do u get maths error?

cause we have been taught by the teacher that the domain is usually the value when you sub a value into the equation and that gives u the maths error and that is the domain.
Reply 1387
Original post by posthumus
I still have no idea where you got obtuse and all that stuff from :frown: when it wasn't mentioned in the question.

I've always thought that if cos was positive... that means its either in A or C quadrant.... if its negative then that means its positive in S and T quadrant :s-smilie:

Am I missing something here... sorry this is going on a bit now :tongue:

LOL! I don't know how can I make you understand.
obtuse- betwn 90 and 180.
relfex-greater than 180 but less than 360
now tell me the angle at different quadrant?
Reply 1388
cause we have been taught by the teacher that the domain is usually the value when you sub a value into the equation and that gives u the maths error and that is the domain.

no! its not always true! if u get maths error first thing is it shouldn't be domain! coz a domain is one which has element in range
Hi can somebody please help me with JAN 2007 Q6a, I did the inverse function but am confused for the domain of the inverse.

The domain of the function is x<2 so why is the domain of the inverse all real values...

Original post by AS01
no! its not always true! if u get maths error first thing is it shouldn't be domain! coz a domain is one which has element in range

yes if you get maths error you put the value which you got but saying > for example

so what method would u chose to sure u are correct? is it the values they provided like the restricted domain and sub those values into the equation
Reply 1391
yes if you get maths error you put the value which you got but saying > for example

so what method would u chose to sure u are correct? is it the values they provided like the restricted domain and sub those values into the equation

domain is x-axis so most of the time I try drawing graph to be sure. but u can't always work out by graph but there will be some more thing that they will give of those type.
Original post by AS01
domain is x-axis so most of the time I try drawing graph to be sure. but u can't always work out by graph but there will be some more thing that they will give of those type.

do u think i should draw graphs? is there any way u can check ur answer
Reply 1393
do u think i should draw graphs? is there any way u can check ur answer

ya graph is always good to visualise anything you are confused with. don't think there is.
Reply 1394
Original post by iloveconverse
Hi can somebody please help me with JAN 2007 Q6a, I did the inverse function but am confused for the domain of the inverse.

The domain of the function is x<2 so why is the domain of the inverse all real values...

Domain of function is the range of inverse function and vice versa. So find the range of function which would be the domain of inverse :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by AS01
LOL! I don't know how can I make you understand.
obtuse- betwn 90 and 180.
relfex-greater than 180 but less than 360
now tell me the angle at different quadrant?

Sorry :colondollar: :frown:

given that x=cos^-1(-5/13) find exam value of:

a) tan(x)
b) cosec(2x)

^^^ okay now I don't understand how you figured out it was obtuse :frown: Yes because if cos is negative then it must be in sin quadrant.. but what about the tan quadrant ? that is in reflex territory.

:confused:

Last time :tongue: If I still don't get it , then god help me
Original post by AS01
ya graph is always good to visualise anything you are confused with. don't think there is.

will do that!

one thing you know sometimes we are given like 0-270 for example and we need to find sin will sin be positive in this cause as it does pass through the range of sin?
Reply 1397

a) tan(x)
b) cosec(2x)

^^^ okay now I don't understand how you figured out it was obtuse :frown: Yes because if cos is negative then it must be in sin quadrant.. but what about the tan quadrant ? that is in reflex territory.

yes tan is reflective one so even the value we worked out for tan was negative. but sin was positive. coz it was obtuse
Reply 1398
will do that!

one thing you know sometimes we are given like 0-270 for example and we need to find sin will sin be positive in this cause as it does pass through the range of sin?

yes coz there is still 180 that u can use. one will be that theta and other one will be 180-theta

a) tan(x)
b) cosec(2x)

Here we do not know enough information.

Can you point us to the ORIGINAL question?

EDIT: I was reading it incorrectly. Because it is an inverse trig function it is only valid between 0 and pi. Since it is negative we know the angle is between pi/2 and pi
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending