Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Thread: Lancaster University Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ljohn9
Ohh your lucky tish its very early for offers:redface: my course wants me to have an interview, jelouws of those who don't have interviews! I'm visiting in January! Hope its good:smile: excited

I applied 4 weeks ago this thursday :smile:

And muahaaa about the interview.

What are you applying for?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Whoop just got my offer from lancaster today :smile: definitely firming it.

For comp sci (G404)

Reply 22
Oh computer science:smile: my boyfriend studied that:smile: social work, those courses require interviews and everything :redface:
Reply 23
And well done!
Reply 24
Original post by ljohn9
And well done!

Oh yeah they do require it :smile: good luck. Will you firm once you get the offer?

Reply 25
I'm not sure yet, maybe as I live in Wales:smile: I think I might though
Reply 26
Original post by ljohn9
I'm not sure yet, maybe as I live in Wales:smile: I think I might though

If you dont like big campus based uni with great accomm and sports facilities. Lancaster definitely isn't for you haha.

I cant wait in September ill be out of my house and starting a new life. The good thing about my course is ill know my grades throughout the year so the results day its less anxious for me :biggrin: (I'm studying a BTEC)

But otherwise if its too much hassle firm it without visiting.

Reply 27
Yeah I am also studying a BTEC predicted D*D*D so I haven't got any exams to worry about so I know how you feel! Well I will be visiting on the 16th of January so I'll have a look around:biggrin:
Original post by cost
London boy right here and im applying for CS too

What are you thoughts about going to Lancaster in terms of location?

It just seems so far away for me, and I won't exactly be able to go home for a weekend or so...hmmm
Reply 29
Original post by IntenseSoldier
What are you thoughts about going to Lancaster in terms of location?

It just seems so far away for me, and I won't exactly be able to go home for a weekend or so...hmmm

I know what you mean.. but i have family in Manchester, so if i ever needed support, they were there. Lancaster is a distance but its a station on the virgin trains lines, which you can catch from euston. Lancaster is far from home but as for me ive been looking for a way to get out of London for a while, am just looking for a new surrounding really. And i guess not being able to see family for weekends would make holidays more special??

on a last note
the only thing am worried about with Lancaster uni is the nightlife.
Original post by cost
I know what you mean.. but i have family in Manchester, so if i ever needed support, they were there. Lancaster is a distance but its a station on the virgin trains lines, which you can catch from euston. Lancaster is far from home but as for me ive been looking for a way to get out of London for a while, am just looking for a new surrounding really. And i guess not being able to see family for weekends would make holidays more special??

on a last note

I've spoke to a few people about the night life and it does seem good! Although it isn't as big as the likes of Manchester, London etc it still has a good nightlife.

There are about 8-10 bars and clubs in the city and a variety of pubs. There is also nine bars on campus! It's also only a short train ride away to Blackpool, Manchester etc. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by ljohn9
Yeah I am also studying a BTEC predicted D*D*D so I haven't got any exams to worry about so I know how you feel! Well I will be visiting on the 16th of January so I'll have a look around:biggrin:

Is it an open day for students with offers I've received the letter cba to read it. If so ill deffo be going then

Reply 32
Original post by Tish
Is it an open day for students with offers I've received the letter cba to read it. If so ill deffo be going then

awh no all i know is that my interview is on the 16th :') havent heard anything about open days
Reply 33
Original post by cost

on a last note

Hey, I'm a first year student at Lancs,

Don't worry about the nightlife, I had the exact same worry haha. I imagined Lancs being some old weird farmer town. Granted there's not as much as London, but really in a student town you don't need so much, as it's the people that make the difference, not the place! But Lancs is really geared up for students anyway- nearly all places do student nights, student offers etc etc.

But there's loads anyway, there's 2 Wetherspoons, loads of pubs, theres the main student night club Sugarhouse where everyone always ends up in so that's always buzzing, there's Elements, Revolution, Lounge, Lost, Hustle, V-Bar, Mint, as well as a 24 hour McDonalds for drunken food haha! I think there's even more than that going on too, they're just off the top of my head.

Not to mention the bars on campus! Each college has one.

And all colleges and societies do socials to other places- so far for me there's been ones to Liverpool and Manchester.

So really I can't complain :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Roloo
Hey, I'm a first year student at Lancs,

Don't worry about the nightlife, I had the exact same worry haha. I imagined Lancs being some old weird farmer town. Granted there's not as much as London, but really in a student town you don't need so much, as it's the people that make the difference, not the place! But Lancs is really geared up for students anyway- nearly all places do student nights, student offers etc etc.

But there's loads anyway, there's 2 Wetherspoons, loads of pubs, theres the main student night club Sugarhouse where everyone always ends up in so that's always buzzing, there's Elements, Revolution, Lounge, Lost, Hustle, V-Bar, Mint, as well as a 24 hour McDonalds for drunken food haha! I think there's even more than that going on too, they're just off the top of my head.

Not to mention the bars on campus! Each college has one.

And all colleges and societies do socials to other places- so far for me there's been ones to Liverpool and Manchester.

So really I can't complain :biggrin:

Thanks for the info.. another question.. if i get to Lancaster station at 1 pm could i get to the the school of computing by 1:30 pm? for the open day?
Reply 35
Original post by cost
Thanks for the info.. another question.. if i get to Lancaster station at 1 pm could i get to the the school of computing by 1:30 pm? for the open day?

Yes, definitely!

(If you mean Lancaster train station). I get a taxi from the station to Cartmel college (I live on campus) and that takes about 10 minutes, and Cartmel's furthest away from main campus. So you'll have no problem getting there in time.

I don't know exactly where the school of computing is though haha. But to Cartmel it usually costs me £8.60ish.

Edit: On this map http://www.lancs.ac.uk/media/lancasteruniversity/contentassets/documents/maps/campus.pdf it says the school of computing is in InfoLab 21, I don't know whether that's where the intro talk will be though. But if it is, then ask to be dropped off on South Drive by Pendle Avenue if you're getting a taxi :smile: The building is huge and green, you can't miss it!

About-InfoLab21.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Roloo
Yes, definitely!

(If you mean Lancaster train station). I get a taxi from the station to Cartmel college (I live on campus) and that takes about 10 minutes, and Cartmel's furthest away from main campus. So you'll have no problem getting there in time.

I don't know exactly where the school of computing is though haha. But to Cartmel it usually costs me £8.60ish.

Edit: On this map http://www.lancs.ac.uk/media/lancasteruniversity/contentassets/documents/maps/campus.pdf it says the school of computing is in InfoLab 21, I don't know whether that's where the intro talk will be though. But if it is, then ask to be dropped off on South Drive by Pendle Avenue if you're getting a taxi :smile: The building is huge and green, you can't miss it!

About-InfoLab21.jpg

thanks for the info, and yes i did mean Lancaster train station, the information that they sent me said i should be at the infolab 21 reception for 1:30 for tea and coffee... here i come 13th of march
Reply 37
Given a conditional offer (AAA) for English Lit, will definitely be firming after I've been to the open day. Anybody else applied for English?
Reply 38
Original post by cost
thanks for the info, and yes i did mean Lancaster train station, the information that they sent me said i should be at the infolab 21 reception for 1:30 for tea and coffee... here i come 13th of march

Ooh tea and coffee, very nice haha!

Glad I was of some use. Good luck for the 13th! :smile:
Reply 39
Almost certainly firming, got an AAB offer for English Language, really excited!

Original post by IntenseSoldier
I live in London (4 hour drive :O) but if I get my offer I'll be definitely firming!
Any one else who lives in or near London? It seems that only people who leave in or near Lancaster who are applying there?

I live in Dorset, so it's a 5-6 hour drive for me, but I was speaking to a couple of people on the open day, and it seems like the students come from all round the country, so I don't think it should be a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending