The Student Room Group

Veiny chest

Ok I do understand I'm probably being really stupid but last night, the veins between my collarbone and my nipples were really really blue, they weren't standing out or anything, just way more noticeable than usual, What causes veins to be bluer? Is it a lack of blood to them, could it have been the way I was sitting? They're back to normal this morning, but I promised myself before I went to sleep last night that I'd ask, so I am xx
mine sometimes are too, i think it depends on the mirror and lighting. i have very pale skin so i think they show through more...and i would have thought they'd be more visible if more blood was pumping through- like if you've been running.
Same here, a tad worrying.
Reply 3
Possibly lighting or possibly blood pressure. Blue looking blood is returning blood that has been used, and now the blood is lacking oxygen. It returns to the lungs and becomes red again. So not a lack of blood, more a lack of oxygen.

If they were more noticeable then you might have maybe just done some exercise? Or eaten to much salt, or i dont know really my veins on my arms are permentantly raised, never caused me a problem.
I dont think its a medical problem unless it gets worse or persists.
Reply 4
i have very pale skin and the blue vains are noticeable on my chest and on my arms,lol
Reply 5
Blood goes blue when it is de-oxygenaged, and red when it is oxygenaged. Thats why when you cut yourself you see red because it grabs the oxygen from teh air. However they could be just arties (thats not spelt right I know, or it could be veins...hm, which ever transports blood back to your heart). So it shouldn't be a problem.

dan1982

I dont think its a medical problem unless it gets worse or persists.

I agree
Reply 6
Hmm, bird flu. No doubt.

lol, joking... hmm I doubt it's anything to be worried about but I'm no doctor? Ask a doctor.
apparently mine get more noticable during my period. i dont notice it tho.
high priestess fnord
apparently mine get more noticable during my period. i dont notice it tho.

hmmmm that could be it.Thanks for your replies everyone. I didn't think I was dying or anything, but it did make me feel ill, probably just because I started thinking about blood and I'm a wimp
Murphyman
Blood goes blue when it is de-oxygenaged, and red when it is oxygenaged.

hahaha. Have you ever seen blue blood?

It's to do with light reflection, making them look blue. Of course veins are not actually blue, and certainly not the blood inside them.
Reply 10
yeh its prob cz ur on ur period or something..
Reply 11
Caster Troy2

It's to do with light reflection, making them look blue. Of course veins are not actually blue, and certainly not the blood inside them.

You learn something new everyday :smile: i didnt know that but the blood is dark red, (bright red when oxygenated) however i just read that because it doesnt reflect much light being so dark its looks blue.
I did always wonder how iron could go blue.
Reply 12
Caster Troy2

Yea I did, but I didn't want to go into too much detail :smile: Thought I keep it simple rather than transform the thread into a biological discussion..
Reply 13
Mine are quite persitant, I'm worried but I don't want to tell Anyone, also I do have trouble breathing so could it just be that?
Original post by Emírí
Mine are quite persitant, I'm worried but I don't want to tell Anyone, also I do have trouble breathing so could it just be that?

why did u reply 11 years later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending