The Student Room Group

Geography vs History GCSE

Scroll to see replies

History I've done...
Geography I've done...

I'll have experience of both at a level too...

It's quite hard, history is interesting but the pace people would learn it at over two years is so slow :colonhash:

So Geography!

History is still amazing though.
Reply 41
Original post by CrazyChocoholic
Which is worse/ best? :getmecoat:

Just as good. If you have the option to choose both, then go for it. I picked Geography and Business Studies, but should've chosen History instead of the Business and yes, I do regret not picking it.

Geography's awesome as it's the most all-rounded GCSE subject, and History will improve your essay writing skills. Business Studies isn't really as strong as the other two and I only did it because of a trip.

Just remember to pick what you enjoy most.
Reply 42
It really depends on the school-especially the teachers.

My geography teacher was the best, but the subject itself was pretty dull;it wasn't how I expected it to be.It was heavy on the case studies, which was a pain.

I didn't take History, but some of my friends did and they all did better in it than in Geography. I didn't like the teacher ( I don't think anyone did :tongue: she's the most obnoxious teacher in the omniverse) but I probably wouldn't have chosen it anyway. Can you blame me? It even sounds dull!

History...

Jks

But seriously...
(edited 11 years ago)
History is more respected:smile: Plus, I do History GCSE now and it's so interesting. It requires a lot of memory of dates, names, events etc but you'll have learnt it and gone through it so many times, it will be practically drilled into your brain when it comes to the tests:biggrin:
If you like writing quickly (you need to write really fast, and your hands will ache afterwards) and thinking.. and analysing.. and explaining xD so.. English?:biggrin: go for it!

Seriously though, i would really recommend you take History:smile:
Neither. I hate essays ^_^ Oh its compulsory for you guys nowadays pahahaa
Reply 45
If you are better at writing/English go for history, if you are better at doing science exams go for geography just because the exam stye is similar
Really really depends on the person - I love history and so did that, but I also did geography and enjoyed it because I had a fantastic teacher. I still do both subjects now (AS) :smile:

If you can get to grips with the exam techniques then they are equal in difficulty, they both have some harder aspects. But again, how difficult you find it depends on the person.

If this is about choosing GCSEs - choose the one you prefer, simple as that! (Or both, like me!) It will only affect what you can do at AS/A-level, although in saying that, it isn't unheard of for people to pick up those subjects at AS without having done it at A-level, I know a number of people who have done that.
In my school, far more people have taken history (I have as well) and I can understand why. Our geography lessons were too basic, too easy and to be honest, history seems to be more relevant to most people. Unless you want a career that links to geography, I would really encourage you to choose history.
I do both, I like both - for a long time I preferred History but now I prefer Geography. I'm certainly better at Geography anyway.
Reply 49
I took both History and Geography, and my overall course preference was history, I just found the subject a lot more interesting though.

However it also depends on your tastes, for example if you take modern or ancient history...
In my view...

Ancient history > Geography > Modern History

( theres a lot less facts in ancient than modern and it is basically just more interesting learning about previous civilisations etc.)

Obviously this is all oppinionated, however i'd go for Ancient history.
Reply 50
Geography. People that are doing history at my school have so much H/W to stress over, and the mock exams are really hard, thats all they're moaning about. In Geo you don't get essay type questions.. only ones worth 6 marks. I think Geography is easier than History, but perhaps equally interesting (I like Geo more obvs)
Reply 51
Original post by Meghna96
Geography. People that are doing history at my school have so much H/W to stress over, and the mock exams are really hard, thats all they're moaning about. In Geo you don't get essay type questions.. only ones worth 6 marks. I think Geography is easier than History, but perhaps equally interesting (I like Geo more obvs)

You couldn't be more wrong...

As I said I took geography and history at gcse, and found them equally as difficult ( neither were hard. ) although History has MORE long winded question to write, with geography you have to write 3 essay style questions in the exam that are definitely worth more than 6 marks, although there are a lot of 6 marker question etc.. And remember a load of case study's.

I am now studying a levels
Reply 52
Original post by Guy96
You couldn't be more wrong...

As I said I took geography and history at gcse, and found them equally as difficult ( neither were hard. ) although History has MORE long winded question to write, with geography you have to write 3 essay style questions in the exam that are definitely worth more than 6 marks, although there are a lot of 6 marker question etc.. And remember a load of case study's.

I am now studying a levels

Well. It's my opinion. I did edexcel, where in Geography we only have 2 six mark questions. I have heard that there are 12 and 24 mark questions I. History. Not being very good at essays, I think Geography is the better option. Case studies are okay to learn.
Reply 53
Don't let the idea of essays put you off History! You will have written so many over the course that it will be second nature to you! I found that writing more essays in history helped me to get a better grade in English where we didn't really practice essay writing too much!

Of course, as a trainee history teacher, I'm probably a bit biased! But the way that the exams are broken down are dead easy tbh. Just make your decision depending on what interests you more and what you feel would help you towards your chosen career/A- levels.

Hope this helped! Good luck choosing :smile:
Haha i know this is late but i love both equally ive chosen geography for GSCE but im considering taking history as well :biggrin: I really enjoy learning about the world and population in geography where as in history i like learning about the past very interesting. Geography helps you with analysing graphs and making you think for yourself where as history gives you english skills which helps with essay writing and not forgetting answering them 15 marker questions :rolleyes: BOTH!
Just do whatever you enjoy the most :smile:
Reply 56
Neither are easier/harder or more boring/fun - it depends on what you enjoy most and find more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending