The Student Room Group

Most Britains don;t do the everyday things

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Curzon
That's what I mean, work. They are pretty much essential for it nowadays, and more efficient (and professional) than texting. Also, they are often used to contact people or organisations for other important matters. Most job applications tend to be through email these days.

But I can imagine there are still plenty of jobs that don't require sending emails. I guess typically lower paid jobs, but not always.
Oh my god...eating McDonalds is essential to everyday life...this is the UK not ****ing America hahaha

This is the worst piece of journalism from that pit of stupidity yet
Reply 42
I have never wired a plug, ordered a takeaway coffee, been to a football match (or Alton Towers for that matter) or got drunk :wink:
Just for the record, I think the title of the article is a bit naff. I don't think people who haven't done these things "lack everyday experience" as generally, people don't do many of them everyday. :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sheldor
*For daily mail readers

Posted from TSR Mobile

We all know how much Mail readers love foreign countries.
Reply 44
Never ordered coffee or wired a plug (except in GCSE physics). I don't see how not ordering a horrendously over priced cup of coffee is a bad thing though.
Never been on a plane (don't have a passport so couldn't travel outside UK on one).
Never ordered takeaway coffee (though, I hate coffee).
Never been to a football match (and intend to keep it that way)
Never been drunk
Never wired a plug (although could do with basic reminder on how, not hard)
Never been to the cinema
Never sung at karaoke
Never been skiing

While I have had mcdonalds, I've never had a burger king either.

My grandma (and no doubt many other older people) would fall into the never sent an email part too.
Reply 46
I've never wired a plug or been to a football match, am I missing out?!?!?
Original post by ApresAlkan
We all know how much Mail readers love foreign countries.

They just go so they can pretend they're cultured because they went to Cannes and boast in front of the mums at the school gates. It's not as if they'd actually talk to any "bloody foreigners".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
"The research also found that 68 per cent of people have never been skiing, confirming that it is still a pastime for the better-off."

What a load of cock. 98% of us have never been to a bloody dog fight either, but that doesn't in any way imply that the spectators there are of a particularly elevated social background.

I suspect many people don't ski because it's a ****ing absurd pastime. Don't get me wrong, I've done a fair bit of it, but realistically the amount of time I want to spend surrounded by snow is fairly limited and I'm sure the several sessions which consist solely of falling on your arse constantly before you actually pick it up would put many off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Done all but owned a car.
i've done everything on that list
Reply 51
Going to McDonald's - I've been :smile:
Flying in a plane - many a time
Sending an e-mail - too many to count
Ordering a takeaway coffee - yup done
Going to a football match - beeeeen there done that, got the t shirt
Reading Shakespeare - yup :smile: read much ado about nothing before I went to see it at the globe, then made my GCSE drama group study it.
Wiring a plug - did it in science
Getting drunk - alas no. I have Emetophobia so I don't drink.
Visiting France - school trip :smile:
Using a mobile phone - yessss
Using a public toilet - yesssss

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Psyk
Before long there might be more young people who haven't sent an email before. If I didn't have to send them at work, I'd very rarely send emails these days. Getting in touch with friends is done through texts or facebook. And when I do send emails for personal reasons (as opposed to for work), normally I could have used the phone instead.

highly doubt it, emails are used pretty much all the time at school nowadays, to send work, to speak to teachers etc.... or just as part of your ITC lessons. then of course when they grow up they will be using emails throughout their life at work etc... unless ofc something comes and replaces emails universally.
Original post by Sheldor
I've never been skiing (I hate the cold, and it's a sport, so I don't.want to go on holiday to play sports in the cold.) or been drunk, but that's age related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow... don't knock something until you try it. i hate being cold... but you aren't cold when you're skiing, it's only when you stop or if you have bad socks... and that can be sorted by good gear.
Original post by L i b
"The research also found that 68 per cent of people have never been skiing, confirming that it is still a pastime for the better-off."

What a load of cock. 98% of us have never been to a bloody dog fight either, but that doesn't in any way imply that the spectators there are of a particularly elevated social background.

I suspect many people don't ski because it's a ****ing absurd pastime. Don't get me wrong, I've done a fair bit of it, but realistically the amount of time I want to spend surrounded by snow is fairly limited and I'm sure the several sessions which consist solely of falling on your arse constantly before you actually pick it up would put many off.

why is it an absurd pastime? it's no more absurd than most pastimes, it's fun...
I've never ordered a take away coffee.

This doesn't surprise me.

I don't like coffee.

I wish I did. It smells soooo good!
Reply 56
Original post by Bellissima
highly doubt it, emails are used pretty much all the time at school nowadays, to send work, to speak to teachers etc.... or just as part of your ITC lessons. then of course when they grow up they will be using emails throughout their life at work etc... unless ofc something comes and replaces emails universally.

Oh right fair enough. Wasn't like that back in my day. Makes me feel old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending