The Student Room Group

RATE MY CHANCES?? AAB at A level. Oxford.

Hi, I have recently applied to read History of Art at Wadham College, Oxford and just want an opinion on my chances? I got A in history of art A in art B in French
And have an additional A in maths AS level
I have 8 A*s and 2As at GCSE.
I have applied telling them that I am retaking the french and completing the maths A level in my gap year, hoping to get AT LEAST an A in both. During my gap year I am doing an art foundation at Central St. Martins and have done work experience at the V&A.
The grades required for history of art are AAA so if anything, I am hoping for a conditional offer. I did go to a very high achieving school which I fear could play against my chances. The written work I am submitting is really quite good according to my teachers but i am worried that the pesky B will be a massive disadvantage. Over the past 2 years at school I have had some personal problems which I never divulged to my teachers and I haven't told Oxford just for pride's sake and i don't know whether I will have an opportunity at interview, if i get one, to justify why i didn't fulfil my academic potential during my A levels? Also, I have recently been diagnosed with quite severe anemia, and whilst this may seem trivial, I noticed the anemia because of severe fatigue that I had been experiencing for at least a year. This CONSTANT fatigue definitely made studying a lot harder. Imagine trying to study whilst constantly tired. I'm wondering if Oxford will laugh in my face if I use the anemia as a reason for the B at A level but i genuinely think it contributed.
In any case, what do you think my chances of a conditional offer are what with everything except my A levels being pretty perfect?
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I had the same issue. I wanted to apply for History of Art with A*AB but due to Oxford's centralised system, anyone with a B in anything will be automatically rejected. This was at least the case for me, and many people I know, but I wouldn't want to put you off looking into it further. I talked to the head of HoA at Christ Church about how this was ridiculous, and she agreed to an extent, but said that the rules were the rules.
On top of what I said previously, which other Universities are you applying to?
I wouldn't get too hopeful, tbh :no:
I've also submitted applications to St. Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL and Warwick, all of which have AAB grade requirements.
Reply 5
a boy I know had AABC at AS and got an interview for economics (with a C in it) ubt she did get A*AA by the end
also may have had circumstances-not sure

Quick Reply

Latest