The Student Room Group

Would it be stupid to put Oxford as my reach without A*A*A*?

I have AAA with 7 extra ucas points for a cyber security course that I took this summer. I have a history of taking extra curriculars and going to events such as teentech, digigirlz (in microsoft) and attending yearly cyber security courses. If i'm 1 ucas point below the grade requirements (A*AA) is it even worth reaching?
Original post by Chatterboxxxx
I have AAA with 7 extra ucas points for a cyber security course that I took this summer. I have a history of taking extra curriculars and going to events such as teentech, digigirlz (in microsoft) and attending yearly cyber security courses. If i'm 1 ucas point below the grade requirements (A*AA) is it even worth reaching?

I assume by that you mean you have achieved AAA in your A levels.

Oxford doesn’t use a UCAS tariff system. If you are resitting one of your A levels and predicted to get an A*, you may stand a chance. If not, I don’t think it’s possible you will get in.
(edited 7 months ago)
if Oxford is a place where you would like to attend, i would apply even if grades are low
Original post by beautifulworld
if Oxford is a place where you would like to attend, i would apply even if grades are low

Depends. If the grades listed by the OP are simply predicted grades, then perhaps they would stand a chance as Oxford tends to assess all things holistically and they have (on a few occasions) given offers to those with predicted grades below the entry requirements.

However, if I am correct in interpreting the OP’s grades to be achieved, then unless they are resitting at least one of their A levels and/or taking a new one, then there is no chance they will land an offer as they will not have met the entry requirements.
Not sure what course you're applying to exactly but I imagine most if not all IT-related degrees at Oxford will have entry requirements that include at least one A* so without that your application will get binned straight away.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
Depends. If the grades listed by the OP are simply predicted grades, then perhaps they would stand a chance as Oxford tends to assess all things holistically and they have (on a few occasions) given offers to those with predicted grades below the entry requirements.

However, if I am correct in interpreting the OP’s grades to be achieved, then unless they are resitting at least one of their A levels and/or taking a new one, then there is no chance they will land an offer as they will not have met the entry requirements.

According to their other posts the OP is currently predicted AAB, plus apparently has 7 UCAS points from another qualification which would in theory get them to just a single point off the equivalent of AAA.
Original post by ageshallnot
According to their other posts the OP is currently predicted AAB, plus apparently has 7 UCAS points from another qualification which would in theory get them to just a single point off the equivalent of AAA.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I should really have checked myself tbh.

As Oxford doesn’t give offers based on total UCAS points, the 7 extra UCAS points won’t make any real difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending