The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford E&M?

My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Economics. I am considering taking further maths AS next year as well. I am wondering if further maths is useful for the course, whether I should apply considering the low acceptance rate, and if there is anything in specific I can do to make my application and personal statement more competitive?
Hi there, exceeding the entry requirements is always a good strategy when applying to top unis. Therefore, the further maths option with the same predicted grades and good GCSEs will help your candidacy. If you can squeeze in extracurriculars (leadership, analytical skills, and evidence demonstrating passion for E&M), I believe will increase your chances for an interview. Good luck.
Original post by bens23
My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Economics. I am considering taking further maths AS next year as well. I am wondering if further maths is useful for the course, whether I should apply considering the low acceptance rate, and if there is anything in specific I can do to make my application and personal statement more competitive?

You should go for it! A competitive personal statement should show that you're both really passionate about your subject, and that you're capable of studying it independently and critically. Most people do this through books, work experience and independent research, but anything that ticks those boxes is a safe bet. I would recommend avoiding extracurriculars unrelated to your subject as Oxford only really care about supercurriculars (related to your subject but outside of your A levels). It's worth noting however that the personal statement will be far less significant in your Oxford application than the TSA, interview or even GCSE grades. The TSA in particular will likely determine whether or not you receive an interview in the first place, and so this should be your main focus.
i don't know what content is in the Oxford E&M course, but i would see if i can find lecture slides or any problem sheets online and compare them to the further maths content

although there is a low acceptance rate, i wouldn't let it stop me from giving my dream a chance :smile:

Matt Williams at Jesus College, Oxford posted a YouTube video 'How to STAND OUT with your #UCAS uni PERSONAL STATEMENT!' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbwaXwK5CNU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending