The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Az_016
The first one was pretty good because I got most of the questions correct. Second was harder and although I did get the answers correct, I needed a few prompts to do so. Let's hope we both get in!

Oh yes. It will be so epic if that happens. Can't stop daydreaming about it :P
Worst thing to deal with if I get rejected would be that feeling.."I couldve tried harder"
But its all done now. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 1981
Original post by Koalagate
Balliol PPE interviewee here - I must have met your son as there were two US applicants (one from California and the other from Boston) and I talked to them both. :smile:

Tell him not to be too nervous because it's impossible to read into it; it could be good or bad. For Balliol PPE there were 41 interviewed; only 8 of us got interviews at other colleges. Therefore, it's more normal for someone not to have them than to have them.

Hi Koalagate,

My son was the exuberant Bostonian. He loved the experience, and waiting till Jan. 15 will be very challenging. Either way, he had fun, met great people and can always look back and smile at his visit. Good luck to you.
Reply 1982
Hey, just wondering if anyone was in the same position as me/could tell me what this means

I applied for mod langs (germ and italian) at magdalen, had my two interviews there but then got an interview at Keble for linguistics (which I obviously didn't apply for...)

very confused
Reply 1983
Original post by zcbl1
Hey, just wondering if anyone was in the same position as me/could tell me what this means

I applied for mod langs (germ and italian) at magdalen, had my two interviews there but then got an interview at Keble for linguistics (which I obviously didn't apply for...)

very confused

For some unpopular courses, people may have free chance to have more interview, applicants who applied for physics may have "free" chance for material science
Reply 1984
Original post by zcbl1

very confused

true for the previous post
people applying for Psychology and Philosophy or Psychology and Linguistic get a shot for Experimental Psychology as well.
Reply 1985
Maths interviews advice!

ok, in the end I had 5 interviews for maths, over the 3 days.
Anyone know if this is a good thing or a bad thing! I felt they went pretty well.

any advice appreciated!
Reply 1986
Original post by J4B
Maths interviews advice!

ok, in the end I had 5 interviews for maths, over the 3 days.
Anyone know if this is a good thing or a bad thing! I felt they went pretty well.

any advice appreciated!

What? Five interviews? ! you must be very very special.
Original post by Kista
What? Five interviews? ! you must be very very special.

I know someone who had 9 :lol:, they got in though so it was worth it in the end :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1988
Original post by tooambitious
I know someone who had 9 :lol:, they got in though so it was worth it in the end :smile:

Are you kidding?
Original post by Kista
Are you kidding?

No.

Are Oxford already giving out offers because somebody on fb said they got an offer from Oriel to study french and german

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Randomerr
Are Oxford already giving out offers because somebody on fb said they got an offer from Oriel to study french and german

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose, it could be true as decisions have been made but the university seemed quite adamant that nothing would be posted until the 10th/11th
Maybe Oriel went rogue :tongue:

I suppose, it could be true as decisions have been made but the university seemed quite adamant that nothing would be posted until the 10th/11th

Wow really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but I'm sure they were telling the maths students that they'd already decided on if they were offering you a space before you actually left... For us it's nothing until the 5th :tongue:
Reply 1994

I think some subject tutors make phone calls to the successful candidates every year, before letters are sent. I don't think it's the college's decision to notify certain candidates before the official date.
Original post by Rainingshame
Yes but I'm sure they were telling the maths students that they'd already decided on if they were offering you a space before you actually left... For us it's nothing until the 5th :tongue:

It was the same for most subjects I think, they'd made the decision before you left/ soon after, that's how they decide who to let go after all...

Original post by zcbl1

very confused

Just a guess, but isn't it compulsory for French or German Sole students to study a certain amount of linguistics? This way it could mean that you were/are also being considered for German Sole as well as German & Italian, which is why they had to test your aptitude for linguistics as well?
Don't mean to upset you, or anything, I'm not even applying to Oxford, but this is what I found when I was researching the courses there during the summer. :smile: And as many have said before, there's not really a point in second-guessing the process.

Viel Glück! :smile:
Original post by bíborcsiga
Just a guess, but isn't it compulsory for French or German Sole students to study a certain amount of linguistics? This way it could mean that you were/are also being considered for German Sole as well as German & Italian, which is why they had to test your aptitude for linguistics as well?
Don't mean to upset you, or anything, I'm not even applying to Oxford, but this is what I found when I was researching the courses there during the summer. :smile: And as many have said before, there's not really a point in second-guessing the process.

Viel Glück! :smile:

No, Sole students do not have to do linguistics. However, if zcbl1 was applying for Italian ab initio then they might have wanted to test a general aptitude for languages through a linguistics interview.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
No, Sole students do not have to do linguistics. However, if zcbl1 was applying for Italian ab initio then they might have wanted to test a general aptitude for languages through a linguistics interview.

Ah, okay, sorry, I just checked the website again and it says you only have to do linguistics if you do a language that is not German/French on its own. (Not that it was necessary to check the website, as you're a current student.)
Reply 1999
Original post by Rainingshame

I would expect they did make their decisions on who they were offering places too during the interview period for all applicants, as the interview was the final stage in the whole process, but Maths applicants still don't find out until the 11th!! It seems so far away :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending