The Student Room Group

Should I go with my favourite subject or something towards my career?

Scroll to see replies

Had the same dilemma a couple of years ago, and ended up choosing History over Law. I knew I wouldn't be going to a good University for Law because of my terrible predicted grades of BCC (I ended up getting AAB in the end anyway) - also I don't think I was really matured enough to put my all into Law, its long study hours at the library and lots of dedication which I highly doubt I would have committed to in my first year.
I don't regret choosing History, because I enjoy it, but I will never pursue a career in it and I know for certain now when I finish my degree I will be doing a Law conversion course. To take Law as a degree you should be 100% sure you want to do it - Geography is your best option as you'll probably do better in it and you'll still have the option to get an LLB as a postgrad anyway. :smile:
Go with your favorite subject. A lot of people end up dropping out of subjects if it's just for a certain career with no interests. If you really want to give Law a go, you can just do the conversion course a try, which lasts for one year, Postgraduate.

Chances are, you'll do way better if you're enjoying what you're learning.
Reply 42
Does UCAS let you apply next year after you have your grades or do you have to wait until your classes as a mature student ? Because I have really bad predicted grades :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You can apply next year post-A level but it would be for 2014 start. Most unis are happy for you to do this, but would expect you to have some firm 'gap year' plans, preferably something related to your area of study.
If your predicted grades are not great, you could apply this year, then if you get an offer and exceed it (e.g. you needed BBB and got ABB) you can apply for 'better' courses thru Adjustment. Only problem is the courses you want might not have room. Or you can reject offers and go into clearing (if you get ABB or better there should be some suitable places).
Either way you have nothing to lose by applying this year. Just work like mad and get the best grades you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending