The Student Room Group

is mint or garlic more antibacterial!?

hey, can anyone tell me which of garlic or mint is more antibacterial so i can write a hypothesis for my experiment. its on toothpaste and ive found out WHY they prefer mint to garlic in toothpaste, but none of its because of antibacterial-ness (ok thats not a word) - so if you know please help!

Thanks

Nat xx
Reply 1
Wouldnt they prefer mint to garlic just because it actually smells nice?
Reply 2
yeah, garlic is (as far as i know) acidic, so it would presumably be more antibacterial. BUT if you use garlic flavoured toothpaste, you're one step away from growing a straggly beard, juggling, and taking a dog for a walk with a piece of string for a lead.

garlic + breath = :vroam:
Reply 3
Also might the acid make plaque worse?
Surely the reason why mint is preferred over garlic is that the latter actually contributes to halitosis which is what toothpaste is trying to fight against and prevent.
Reply 5
I think the OP understands why mint is preferred, but they are wanting to know if one is actually better as a bactericidal agent (and thus would technically be better)
Reply 6
i think garlic is most antibacterial...acid i think.

Mint is chosen for palatabilty i thought!?
Reply 7
Garlic toothpaste - a gap in the market! :biggrin:
j00ni
I think the OP understands why mint is preferred, but they are wanting to know if one is actually better as a bactericidal agent (and thus would technically be better)

Oh right. :p: but what use is a baceriocidal agent that causes halitosis? (except for protection from corrosion?)
Reply 9
darkenergy
Oh right. :p: but what use is a baceriocidal agent that causes halitosis? (except for protection from corrosion?)

Depends whether you brush your teeth to stop them rotting or to improve your chances with the ladies :wink: :p:
Reply 10
surely because mint smells nicer??
Reply 11
dan89
surely because mint smells nicer??

Huh??

Did someone not read the thread properly :p:
Heya Nats .. loool haha ur old frenchie chum here.. lmaoo wot weird coursework u have for dat SNAB hahaha .. lool we got out bio practical dis mornin wiv mrs berry ahhhhhh damn it!!! lol i would say that Mint smells nicer hahahaha dan u... onli kiddin!!! :P luv Caz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest

Trending

Trending