The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Oxbridge?

Hey i'm currently in year 12 studying Physics, maths, chemistry and biology (all part of the AQA spec) , i achieved 7a*s, 3a's and 2b's at GCSE with A*s in maths,chemistry and physics and an A in Biology.

My strongest subject at the moment has to be chemistry and the weakest is biology. I believe i can achieve A's at AS and A*s in probably Chemistry and Maths overall. Our school isn't great (40% A*-C) and i did achieve the best in the year and I received an award for achieving the best academic result in the whole Pakistani community in the city(which is quite large).

During my work experience I was building transformers and electrical adapters for two weeks.

I have been part of the school cricket team since year 8 and we reached the national knockout stages last year only to be knocked out by a boarding school from another county.

I am senior and community prefect in school and my roles include patrolling the local neighborhood with a team to keep it safe for the residents.

I'm thinking of doing either chemical engineering at one of Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial. What are my chances? Are my extra-curricular enough? Should i drop biology next year? Will me being from a low performing school and of ethnic minority increase chances?(not that i rely on them), need advice.

Thank you. Z
Reply 1
You can't do chemical engineering at Oxford. Other than that, get 4 A grades this year and you'll have no reason why not to apply
Reply 2
Obviously quite good.
Original post by zeb786
Hey i'm currently in year 12 studying Physics, maths, chemistry and biology (all part of the AQA spec) , i achieved 7a*s, 3a's and 2b's at GCSE with A*s in maths,chemistry and physics and an A in Biology.

My strongest subject at the moment has to be chemistry and the weakest is biology. I believe i can achieve A's at AS and A*s in probably Chemistry and Maths overall. Our school isn't great (40% A*-C) and i did achieve the best in the year and I received an award for achieving the best academic result in the whole Pakistani community in the city(which is quite large).

During my work experience I was building transformers and electrical adapters for two weeks.

All of this is good. Provided you keep up the steam at A Level you can't really be faulted academically. If you're particularly worried about Biology then you could leave it at AS and take up an AS in Further Maths, which would be useful to an Engineering course. Your work experience is good, and if you enjoy it then get some more. You don't want to be in the situation that someone from my school was in (Engineering applicant) who couldn't provide an answer when asked what he'd built before.

I have been part of the school cricket team since year 8 and we reached the national knockout stages last year only to be knocked out by a boarding school from another county.

I am senior and community prefect in school and my roles include patrolling the local neighborhood with a team to keep it safe for the residents.

These are going to be largely irrelevant to your application. They're definitely good things to have, but keep in mind that as far as Oxbridge goes your academic record is your main focus.

I'm thinking of doing either chemical engineering at one of Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial. What are my chances? Are my extra-curricular enough? Should i drop biology next year? Will me being from a low performing school and of ethnic minority increase chances?(not that i rely on them), need advice.

Thank you. Z

Your chances sound pretty good at present, and if you perform similarly at AS as you did at GCSE then you'll have a strong application. I doubt ethnic minority will increase your chances, but low-performing school background could.
Reply 4
Original post by DJMayes
Your chances sound pretty good at present, and if you perform similarly at AS as you did at GCSE then you'll have a strong application. I doubt ethnic minority will increase your chances, but low-performing school background could.

I dont really want to do further maths unless it seriously hurts my chances...will it? And do you know the kind of work experience which could be related to chemical engineering? Z
ironically the fact you're of ethnic minority will more likely hinder your chances
Reply 6
Original post by Table dust
ironically the fact you're of ethnic minority will more likely hinder your chances

LOL :biggrin:...probably:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by arrogant
You can't do chemical engineering at Oxford. Other than that, get 4 A grades this year and you'll have no reason why not to apply

http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/chemeng/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending