The Student Room Group

Housemate is acting oddly, what can I do?

Right, a bit of backstory here: my (female) housemate (who we'll call Beth) and I are in the 2nd year of uni, living with another guy and another girl. Her first year wasn't exactly the greatest, having lost her virginity while drunk to a guy (who we'll call Andy) who she had fallen for about 2 weeks prior.

Beth broke down in the common room after this happened, and ended up hating the guy (along with a lot of other people who heard the story). Not much happened for a while, and then he started coming to her to help him and give him support (as everyone hated him), and she helped him consantly, listening to his **** (which was the same 3 or 4 things repeated over and over again, moaning about how he couldn't do his work and that his life was going to **** and that he always went out and got wasted).

Long story short, they ended up getting together and breaking up and getting together and breaking up... Andy was just kind of an incompetent *******, wasn't very good at relationships, and she finally dumped him for good at the end of the 2nd term (or so we thought).

Fast forward to this year, she's terrified of seeing him again at all on campus, and of course as these things do, it finally happens as we're walking to go somewhere and he passes us. Not a word was said, no eye contact, but suffice to say she was shaken to hell and we went out and got drunk later that night.

They started texting again after radio silence for at least 6 months; Andy suggested Beth come over, which she did, they cuddled for the night while talking, he seemed like a changed guy. She suggested they get back together, he said he'd rather just be friends, and now she's gone into a depressive funk.

She went home for the weekend and now she's back it's as if she doesn't want anything to do with my housemates or I. She usually talks to me about stuff, has stayed in my room until like 3 talking with me before, but now she won't meet my eyes or say a sentence to me at all, disappearing off into her room. I'm certain I haven't done anything that warrants her being pissed off/moody with me, so I'm confused.

What can I do to get her to talk to me or just stop her being so odd? I texted her yesterday asking her how she was and whether she wanted to talk about anything, but I got no reply. Obv. this means to leave her alone, but it's basically making the house really tense because she's not interacting with us at all and she's just being really awkward. I feel it might be sliiightly aimed towards me though, as my male housemate has offered to help her with bags or whatever, she's said yes and then thanked him, sat down for a little chat with him, yet when I tried to talk to her at all it's just 1 word answers and deadly silence. I also asked whether she needed help carrying stuff in from her mum's car, she responded with a curt 'No'.

What the hell, guys.
Reply 1
She needs to realise it's her that made the mistake, and then she needs to get over it. It's nothing you've done, just give her some space and she'll come around.

Boy, did reading that make me glad I'm not in uni anymore!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending