The Student Room Group

can guys and girls ever truly be'just'friends?

Scroll to see replies

It's so difficult if you're attracted to them and you get on really well. Currently I'm texting a friend who I didn't know too well only a couple of weeks ago but the texting has exploded the past few days and I'm already getting attached. It's horrible, cause even if she feels how I do, I know she's gonna be busy until next week so I won't be able to see her.
Reply 21
Original post by effofex
OK - but it is still possible to be friends even if that happens.

Also, I don't think it would be a very professional thing to do, especially in the more Catholic areas of Germany (e.g. Bayern, Wurttemburg, etc.)

Without a doubt, but I think, that`d be a different kind of friendship, the OP was talking about.

Don`t get yourself crossed with the catholocism, I`m from Germany (although from Thuringia), it ain`t the Vatican `round here :wink:
Reply 22
Original post by Vorenus
Without a doubt, but I think, that`d be a different kind of friendship, the OP was talking about.

Don`t get yourself crossed with the catholocism, I`m from Germany (although from Thuringia), it ain`t the Vatican `round here :wink:

Thuringen - so slightly further north than Bayern. But aren't things like sexdaten etc. much more frowned upon in the south? (in Nederland it is acceptable, but mainly more for foreigners/in Amsterdam/Rotterdam - for example, in the Bijbelgordel (Bible Belt), this type of behaviour is very rare).
Reply 23
Original post by effofex
Thuringen - so slightly further north than Bayern. But aren't things like sexdaten etc. much more frowned upon in the south? (in Nederland it is acceptable, but mainly more for foreigners/in Amsterdam/Rotterdam - for example, in the Bijbelgordel (Bible Belt), this type of behaviour is very rare).

Dunno, but if you`re working in a bigger city...
A village will keep a village (I guess wherever you go) - people talk.

Question is - why should you care?
Reply 24
Original post by Vorenus
Dunno, but if you`re working in a bigger city...
A village will keep a village (I guess wherever you go) - people talk.

Question is - why should you care?

Well I wouldn't really want people at the company to find out, or to get a reputation for being like a sailor (I guess this is viewed quite negatively in Deutschland).
Reply 25
Everyone probably has some "what if" thoughts at some point.
I think it's silly to suggest that you can only be friends with people that you don't find physically attractive whatsoever.
Reply 26
Standard girls say yes, guys say no responses. And some guys saying yes despite sleeping with said girls... Did you even read what you wrote?

I'm of the opinion that they can't.
Yes, I many friends that are girls that I have no romantic feelings for, don't want to have sex with and no want to be anything other than friends.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
I've never understood why not. I have plenty of female friends that I get on well with and there's no sexual desire there at all. My girlfriend is just fine with me sending a few hours having coffee or dinner with a female friend because we all know there's no tension between us. It's silly to assume that it's impossible.
I have several good female friends who happen to be attractive girls. Yet, I just couldn't do anything sexual with them, it'd feel incestuous to the both of us, even though we consider each other to be quite attractive etc.

I guess that sometimes a girl and a guy take to each other a lot but there's no 'fire' in it, so a friendship develops. But I've slept with a friend this past summer, and we nearly wrecked our friendship so yeah, I guess that while friendship is possible and there can be no sexual tension at all, there will always be at least a bit of potential for something to develop.
Reply 30
Yeah, I think it's possible if they've agree that there's no chance of attraction - like a tall fat girl and a short skinny guy.
Reply 31
Original post by MagicNMedicine
TSR is like Groundhog Day sometimes.

We haven't had this thread for about 10 days so its time to cycle it round again.

I wonder what's coming up next in the loop, probably one of those stormfront types starting a thread about whites being ethnically cleansed out of the UK or that dude saying being punched in the neck ruined his life.

It's been a while since the last muslim or black girl thread. Maybe that's next?
Lol I remember punched in the neck guy. What was his username?
Reply 32
It depends how ugly you are.
Original post by S.R
It's been a while since the last muslim or black girl thread. Maybe that's next?
Lol I remember punched in the neck guy. What was his username?

Every fortnight on Fridays, something related to race always seems to always crop up.
Reply 34
Original post by So Instinct
I'd say it's rarer.
My best friend is a girl, although it doesn't count since she is an ex.

That's even more impressive.
Yes, I think it's definitely possible.
Reply 36
well considering a good half of my friends are girls, if it is impossible to be "just friends" there is going to be a lot of sex in my near future :tongue:

of course it is possible to be just friends though, so I guess that won't happen :')
Yeah, for sure. I've got many girl friends. Some girls I just don't want to **** for whatever reason.
not if my ego's got anything to say about that.
One of best friends is a girl, we go around each others at least 2 or 3 times a week, watch movies, cook, drink. She is also really protective of me so if there is another girl talking to me she will snap.

It does get awkward sometimes once when we ready to go out, she couldn't decide what to wear so her clothes kept going on and off and I'm sitting trying really hard not to get aroused. but most of time we're just joking around.

so yeah you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending