The Student Room Group

Stockholm School of Economics Q&A

Hej

I am a former graduate from the University of Birmingham, and a current student at Stockholm School of Economics, where I study the Master in Finance. As many students are now considering where to pursue their postgraduate education, and less is known about the opportunities available abroad, I would love to answer any questions people may have about SSE and the courses available.

I spent a long time deciding where to apply to study my Masters and could not be more happy with my choice. Not only does SSE offer a top class education with close ties to the business and banking communities, but it does so free of tuition fees and in one of Europe's most attractive and cool cities.

Please feel free to ask any questions either here or in my inbox :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, That's a really kind offer. Thanks for offering to help out Kingy :smile:
Reply 2
I know you're doing your masters in finance but do you know about the destinations of Msc Economics alumni of SSE in terms of academia? Ie where do students get accepted for PhDs afterwards? I am thinking really seriously about applying for an Economics degree there but I am not sure of SSEs reputation in academic circles... Also, how is the accommodation? And are there many other UK students in Stockholm? Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Kingy950
Hej

I am a former graduate from the University of Birmingham, and a current student at Stockholm School of Economics, where I study the Master in Finance. As many students are now considering where to pursue their postgraduate education, and less is known about the opportunities available abroad, I would love to answer any questions people may have about SSE and the courses available.

I spent a long time deciding where to apply to study my Masters and could not be more happy with my choice. Not only does SSE offer a top class education with close ties to the business and banking communities, but it does so free of tuition fees and in one of Europe's most attractive and cool cities.

Please feel free to ask any questions either here or in my inbox :smile:

Hi There,

Can you receive free accommodation too?
Reply 4
Original post by lilys
I know you're doing your masters in finance but do you know about the destinations of Msc Economics alumni of SSE in terms of academia? Ie where do students get accepted for PhDs afterwards? I am thinking really seriously about applying for an Economics degree there but I am not sure of SSEs reputation in academic circles... Also, how is the accommodation? And are there many other UK students in Stockholm? Thanks!

That's not something that I know much about but I had a quick look on the website and found some information. This link shows a selection of destinations (academic and professional) of graduating PhD students over the last few years. Cambridge, UCL and Bocconi feature.

http://www.hhs.se/Education/PhD/PhDE/Pages/Placements.aspx

There is some accommodation that is provided by the school and it is of a really great standard, central in the city and very close to school. The problem is that it can be hard to get a place and it is expensive.

I am the only UK student in the Masters 1st year and there are a couple in the 2nd year, so not many! I think students in the UK just don't generally consider studying abroad so much and are not aware of the opportunities.
Reply 5
Original post by alanriddoch
Hi There,

Can you receive free accommodation too?

No sadly you cannot.
Reply 6
For those that are considering applying, the deadline is January 15th!
Reply 7
I cant decide between the Msc Finance offered in Stockholm school of Economics and Grenoble Graduate school. Which one is more reputable and recognized globally? your response will be highly appreciated, Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by Freshgrad88
I cant decide between the Msc Finance offered in Stockholm school of Economics and Grenoble Graduate school. Which one is more reputable and recognized globally? your response will be highly appreciated, Thanks.

Hi, I was in a similar position last year so I think I can offer some advice. Having seen your other thread just now I understand that you used the FT Ranking quite a bit, and that was where I started too when looking for the best schools and courses, however you are right to say that the rankings there do not match up with reputation and recruitment. I applied to Grenoble based on the rankings, but soon discovered that it is behind several business schools in France let alone across Europe, and as such does not have a strong reputation, nor is it highly recruited in London for example.

I learned Stockholm School of Economics, however, to be very reputable, and although you may consider me to be biased now as a current student, these are things I learned before applying. Among European business schools it is one of the most reputable and recruited in London. Now, from being here, I can confirm that, based on the number and quality of companies that constantly visit the school to recruit students for positions.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions please ask!
Reply 9
Hi, I was in a similar position last year so I think I can offer some advice. Having seen your other thread just now I understand that you used the FT Ranking quite a bit, and that was where I started too when looking for the best schools and courses, however you are right to say that the rankings there do not match up with reputation and recruitment. I applied to Grenoble based on the rankings, but soon discovered that it is behind several business schools in France let alone across Europe, and as such does not have a strong reputation, nor is it highly recruited in London for example.

I learned Stockholm School of Economics, however, to be very reputable, and although you may consider me to be biased now as a current student, these are things I learned before applying. Among European business schools it is one of the most reputable and recruited in London. Now, from being here, I can confirm that, based on the number and quality of companies that constantly visit the school to recruit students for positions.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions please ask!

Yeah, this rank is a bit misleading. I have one concern about SSE though, i have been told that GMAT is their only criteria for admission. My Gmat score is really low (550) But the rest of my Profile is good. My Bachelor degree transcript is full of advanced courses in Finance and Economics (Derivatives, Econometrics, Portfolio Management, ETC.... ) and i am currently working as a Market Risk Officer at one of the largest 5 Banks in the world. Do you think i should try applying?
Reply 10
Yeah, this rank is a bit misleading. I have one concern about SSE though, i have been told that GMAT is their only criteria for admission. My Gmat score is really low (550) But the rest of my Profile is good. My Bachelor degree transcript is full of advanced courses in Finance and Economics (Derivatives, Econometrics, Portfolio Management, ETC.... ) and i am currently working as a Market Risk Officer at one of the largest 5 Banks in the world. Do you think i should try applying?

I'm not sure where you have been informed about SSE only considering the GMAT? Like all business schools SSE does take it into consideration and use it as a guide to a candidate's ability. 550 is on the low side, however by the sounds of it the rest of your profile is quite strong (what was your final degree classification?), so may be enough to make up for the score. It is definitely worth applying in my opinion as unlike most schools, there is no application fee, so there is no harm in trying.

May I ask how long ago you took the GMAT? By the sounds of it you have quite a numerical background, so with some more preparation maybe you could score quite highly and really boost your profile?
I'm not sure where you have been informed about SSE only considering the GMAT? Like all business schools SSE does take it into consideration and use it as a guide to a candidate's ability. 550 is on the low side, however by the sounds of it the rest of your profile is quite strong (what was your final degree classification?), so may be enough to make up for the score. It is definitely worth applying in my opinion as unlike most schools, there is no application fee, so there is no harm in trying.

May I ask how long ago you took the GMAT? By the sounds of it you have quite a numerical background, so with some more preparation maybe you could score quite highly and really boost your profile?

I Completed my Online application and i will start preparing my Documents to be sent. I was going to Include the Following Documents:

1- BSc Management With double core Majors (Finance & Economics) graduation certificate
2- Transcript
3- Toefl IBT Score Report (104/120)
4- Motivational Letter
5-8 Months Internship Certificate
6- Letter of Appointment

But i dont know if universityadmissions.se or SSE accept any Documents related to work experience ( Not mentioned anywhere on their websites).

If my Application gets Refused i have 2 Options:
- Go to Grenoble
- Postpone any plans to take any Masters for another Year to Prepare for the GMAT ( as i am not a EU Resident and all application deadlines are within 1 month).
Reply 12
I Completed my Online application and i will start preparing my Documents to be sent. I was going to Include the Following Documents:

1- BSc Management With double core Majors (Finance & Economics) graduation certificate
2- Transcript
3- Toefl IBT Score Report (104/120)
4- Motivational Letter
5-8 Months Internship Certificate
6- Letter of Appointment

But i dont know if universityadmissions.se or SSE accept any Documents related to work experience ( Not mentioned anywhere on their websites).

If my Application gets Refused i have 2 Options:
- Go to Grenoble
- Postpone any plans to take any Masters for another Year to Prepare for the GMAT ( as i am not a EU Resident and all application deadlines are within 1 month).

I think you can submit additional supporting documents when you apply, and the SSE website does say that relevant work experience will be considered.

Although the deadline for application is next month (15th January), there is a later deadline for submitting test results such as the GMAT, and you can actually take the test as late as 1st February.
Thank you so much for your replies. I will probably register for another GMAT test.
Reply 14
Hey, it's great you offer to share your experience. I'm actually considering SSE for masters degree. I'm a Bocconi student and we also have a double degree program with SSE, so it is one of my options.
Could you tell me more about your general experience, what were the problems you encountered and would you recommend SSE.
I think Bocconi is a very good university and I am not sure if it would be better to stay here, or to apply for SSE. I think they're pretty close in terms of reputation.

Also, I've seen SSE offers exchange programs, but there not that many details. Do you maybe know what opportunities are there, like which schools and how many students are selected.

I'm interested in finance, particularly in IB, so it would be useful to know what are the chances to get an internship after SSE, are there banks recruiting on campus, career service?

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I also have a question about SSE...since I'm applying for the 2013 intake, I'd like to know how important is GMAT AWA score. Mine is really low, but I also have a 106 TOEFL (25 writing) and studying experience in english-speaking countries, so I hope it won't be a reason for exclusion...My overall GMAT score is 700...
Reply 16
Original post by HBen
Hey, it's great you offer to share your experience. I'm actually considering SSE for masters degree. I'm a Bocconi student and we also have a double degree program with SSE, so it is one of my options.
Could you tell me more about your general experience, what were the problems you encountered and would you recommend SSE.
I think Bocconi is a very good university and I am not sure if it would be better to stay here, or to apply for SSE. I think they're pretty close in terms of reputation.

Also, I've seen SSE offers exchange programs, but there not that many details. Do you maybe know what opportunities are there, like which schools and how many students are selected.

I'm interested in finance, particularly in IB, so it would be useful to know what are the chances to get an internship after SSE, are there banks recruiting on campus, career service?

Thanks!

Hi,

Well from my personal experience, halfway through my first year, I would highly recommend SSE, both for the school and the city of Stockholm. I have enjoyed the modules I have taken so far and learned a lot, and I expect this to continue!

Bocconi is a great school as far as I know and I think the Double Degree program between SSE and Bocconi is a great opportunity to attend two top schools, gain additional international experience and widen your network.

With regards exchange, SSE is a CEMS accredited school so if you qualify you may be able to go on exchange through CEMS and gain the CEMS Master in International Management to go with your degree. Information here:
http://www.hhs.se/Education/MSc/CEMS/Pages/default.aspx

Or you can go on normal exchange for one semester. There are a lot of places and as far as I can tell, if you want to go on exchange and you are motivated then you should get the chance. More info here:
http://www.hhs.se/Education/MSc/CEMS/Pages/default.aspx

And a list of partner universities here:
http://www.hhs.se/About/SSEWorldwide/Pages/default.aspx

With regards internships and recruitment I think the chances are good. All the big banks actively recruit at school with presentations, dinners (many, many free dinners to be had) and workshops, so SSE students are sought after. I don't have figures to hand but as far as I'm aware the number of students getting positions in IB is quite good.

Hope that is helpful.
Reply 17
Original post by DeSade
I also have a question about SSE...since I'm applying for the 2013 intake, I'd like to know how important is GMAT AWA score. Mine is really low, but I also have a 106 TOEFL (25 writing) and studying experience in english-speaking countries, so I hope it won't be a reason for exclusion...My overall GMAT score is 700...

Certainly the AWA score is not the most important score and your overall score is very good so I think that will make up for it. I would, however, recommend that you explain it in some way in your motivation letter and point to your experience of studying in english-speaking countries and your TOEFL score etc... to make sure they know that your writing ability is up to the standard they want. If you can point to enough evidence to show that (which it sounds like you can) then the AWA score will most likely be looked past.
Reply 18
Hi,

Thanks for sharing with us. I plan on applying to SSE for this upcoming year and it would be great to hear from someone within the program.

Regarding finance internships in the UK, are there a lot of opportunities (BB, MM and boutiques) posted or available through SSE? And if so, do the firms only interview the ones with previous BB/ finance internships or is it a mixed bag? I currently only have non-finance related internships and am worried about not being able to secure a decent internship (not necessarily BB IBD but markets related). And is it also true that most students (>80%) in the program tend to focus on finding a job in Sweden?

And just one last side question :smile:, how diverse is the student population for the MSF (are there students from outside Europe like US/Canada)?

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.
Reply 19
Original post by Jckl
Hi,

Thanks for sharing with us. I plan on applying to SSE for this upcoming year and it would be great to hear from someone within the program.

Regarding finance internships in the UK, are there a lot of opportunities (BB, MM and boutiques) posted or available through SSE? And if so, do the firms only interview the ones with previous BB/ finance internships or is it a mixed bag? I currently only have non-finance related internships and am worried about not being able to secure a decent internship (not necessarily BB IBD but markets related). And is it also true that most students (>80%) in the program tend to focus on finding a job in Sweden?

And just one last side question :smile:, how diverse is the student population for the MSF (are there students from outside Europe like US/Canada)?

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.

Hi,

There are a lot of opportunities as a large number of banks visit the school, usually on several occasions, in order to recruit. The careers service and business society are also good at highlighting opportunities. For internships I don't think it is the case that banks only interview people with previous experience. Due to the reputation of the school, what you are learning, and your own motivation, I would expect to be interviewed.

I'm not sure about the 80% statistic you mention but what I will say is that the masters is more international than it was a few years ago, so perhaps that may have been more true a while ago. The current intake though is about 50% international and 50% Swedish, so I imagine at least 50% are looking for jobs outside of Sweden.

Most students are from across Europe, however there are a few from the US/Canada, and also a few from Asia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending