The Student Room Group

Australian Exchange Student Help

Hey guys,
I'm going to be undertaking a student exchange with my current university and the UK is where I'd really like to go :smile:

Although the only options I have are:

Keele University
Leeds Metropolitan University
University of Hull
University of Bradford

So I was wondering if anyone had any information or thoughts on these universities in terms of campus/social life. I'm 19 and will be spending around 6 months on campus. And I'm finding it quite hard finding anything useful, that will help me decide which university would be best socially (Extracurricular activities, Campus parties, Sports, City nightlife, City culture etc). I would hate to attend a commuter campus and be bored out of my brain :/

But yeah any feedback on any of these universities would be much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Keele very much a campus where everything. It's a bit out of town, but has a very big campus. My sister went there for uni and I went and saw her up there at the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bradford is a pit, Hull is a bit grim and industrial and Keele is a bit isolated.

I'd go for Leeds Met - it's quite a nice place to live, and has all the shopping, nightlife. Unlike Aussie unis it's the norm to live in campus in halls, so you won't find yourself bored and isolated.
Leeds, simply because it's the better city for someone to be in.
Reply 4
If you check out each of these cities on Wikepedia, you will get a feel of what they are like in terms of somewhere to live.

I agree that Bradford & Hull are in industrial northern towns which are neither pretty nor interesting. Leeds is also industrial/northern but at least has a some life & personality Keele is a campus Uni that has a good reputation for technical subjects.

I'd narrow it down to Leeds or Keele.
Reply 5
Thanks for the info guys :smile:
Was leaning towards Leeds Met before, so I'm pretty sure that'll be my top preference now :smile:

@Origami - That's great to hear! Because as you mentioned, in Australia NOBODY lives on campus!!! It's quite disappointing, there's no social life/campus life what so ever :frown: And apart from the cultural and personal development aspects, I am really looking forward to experiencing the real "college experience" as they say ;P

In saying that, would the university experience differ to that of the US?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Matty7
Thanks for the info guys :smile:
Was leaning towards Leeds Met before, so I'm pretty sure that'll be my top preference now :smile:

@Origami - That's great to hear! Because as you mentioned, in Australia NOBODY lives on campus!!! It's quite disappointing, there's no social life/campus life what so ever :frown: And apart from the cultural and personal development aspects, I am really looking forward to experiencing the real "college experience" as they say ;P

In saying that, would the university experience differ to that of the US?

I think it's something like 80% of English students choose to live away from home for uni, and about 60% of Scottish students. That means that there really is quite a thriving social life, or the "uni experience" involved in living at uni.

I think it is different from the US in that the UK drinking age is 18, rather than 21 in the US, so the social life can tend to focus much more on drinking. In addition, there's no 'Greek Life' and you don't get entire universities turning out for varsity sports matches. That said, I've never actually been to a US college, so it's quite hard to gauge what going to one is like! People's social life tends to revolve around one or more out of their halls, course or societies.
Where abouts in Australia are you from anyway OP?
Reply 8
Sydney Area
Reply 9
Thanks heaps Oragami, some useful info!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending