The Student Room Group

2Day FM (Australian Radio) Prank Call Kate Middleton's Hospital

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattKneale
Perhaps, but with the best of respect you are not the Queen. It should be patently obvious the Queen would not phone directly to check on the status of her health, especially given the fact she was suffering from a relatively benign condition.

Should it? How on earth do you know she doesn't? Just because you assume she's an old snob who gets staff to do everything - doesn't make it true.

It should have been obvious yes, but everyone has a lapse of judgement at some point in their life. Particularly, I'd imagine, busy nurses.
Original post by callum9999
Should it? How on earth do you know she doesn't? Just because you assume she's an old snob who gets staff to do everything - doesn't make it true.

It should have been obvious yes, but everyone has a lapse of judgement at some point in their life. Particularly, I'd imagine, busy nurses.

A lot of hospitals don't even have procedures for establishing the identity of a caller. most will know or refer to a list of people that nurses have permission to share info with, but very rarely have i come across an individual that doesn't just check that list or know it off the top of their head, and then share.

It's quite possible that the hospital could be somewhat to blame for the confidentiality breach if it's demonstrated that it's not in their policies and procedures or is common practice.

but the reality is that since the royal family are a right old bunch of dicks and are parasites, than in this time of austerity, they'll do whatever will suit their public image best and just suck this up and bank the sympathy for later when the press catches them being crapheels again.
(edited 11 years ago)
For what it's worth, attempting to obtain confidential medical information fraudulently (whether the medical staff fall for it or not) is illegal. There could be some legal ramifications for the radio hosts.
Original post by Mister Dead
A lot of hospitals don't even have procedures for establishing the identity of a caller. most will know or refer to a list of people that nurses have permission to share info with, but very rarely have i come across an individual that doesn't just check that list or know it off the top of their head, and then share.

It's quite possible that the hospital could be somewhat to blame for the confidentiality breach if it's demonstrated that it's not in their policies and procedures or is common practice.

but the reality is that since the royal family are a right old bunch of dicks and are parasites, than in this time of austerity, they'll do whatever will suit their public image best and just suck this up and bank the sympathy for later when the press catches them being crapheels again.

I don't think anyone has sympathy for the Royal Family over this, let alone so much sympathy they can do something serious but everyone ignores it because they remember the time a hospital one of them was in was prank called...
Reply 104
Original post by AspiringGenius
Looks like the trolls have come out under their bridges...

Its pathetic, why can't morons stay away from these sorts of topics and stay in the chat forum, this guy is probably one of those vile nutters that posts obscene things on facebook tribute sites:rolleyes:
Reply 105
Original post by rich2606
Pretty sure journalists frequently try impersonating people/blagging to get information they shouldn't. It's probably the first thing they try before moving on to morally questionable methods such as bribery and phone hacking.

I make a distinction between professional journalists, and journalists that waste a hospital's time just for a news story.

Oh get off your high horse, Do you really think the Australian radio DJ's intentionally set out to make a nurse commit suicide?
Original post by C_G
"a site like this"

Take a look around and tell me what you see. You speak as if this forum has anything special. Be real.

Well you're acting like a 10 year old i always thought of tsr to be more for like 14+ tbh
Reply 108
Original post by AspiringGenius
Looks like the trolls have come out under their bridges...

This comment makes absolutely no sense. You are trying to say that we are coming "out under... bridges". But if we are already under bridges, then how can we come out under them? It makes no sense. A troll normally has to come out from under their bridge, and assume their rightful position on the bridge. Could you please clear this up, I can't quite tell what you are actually trying to say.

P.S. Maybe you should keep aspiring for now.
I disagree with most of the sentiments in this thread.

I seriously doubt that the sole reason for one's suicide would be a prank call of this caliber. I remember a few seasons ago a Nigerian bloke topped himself after Arsenal were beaten by United. It's generally a dark place of mind that these people are in prior to committing suicide and any little thing can just push them over the edge.

I don't blame the radio hosts at all, in fact I feel sorry for them. However, it is obviously a tragedy for the nurse herself, irrespective of the call.
Original post by Hopple
Erm, she should have been fired anyway? I listened to the call and it's fortunate that all the news was good (or neutral) or it could have been even worse for Kate. I'd be livid if I was in hospital and anyone there told some randoms where I was, they phone the people I tell them to on the number(s) I give them and that's it, for the same reason you ring your bank back to confirm details rather than volunteer them to someone who calls claiming to be from your bank.

That's what I'm saying. Breaching confidentiality like that is very serious, but if she did kill herself over it the DJs should be ashamed for even attempting to do it. There's a theory that you listen to authority (receptionist/nurse thought she was speaking to the Queen) and abandoned the rules to please this perceived authority. Worryingly studies have been done (see Hofling) where nurses have accepted phone calls off "doctors" and followed orders to administer dangerous levels of drugs to patients which you are NEVER supposed to do. It happens, and people should be aware of this so they don't make the same mistakes. She didn't deserve to die though, the royal family must feel awful about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
A hospital is not the right place to play pranks on imo but most would probably agree that it was a bit drastic for the nurse to take her own life.

Definitely. She might have had problems and this was the straw that broke the camel's back, we will probably never know but it is very sad and the DJs should feel bad for what they did. We can't say they are responsible for her death though, because they aren't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Definitely. She might have had problems and this was the straw that broke the camel's back, we will probably never know but it is very sad and the DJs should feel bad for what they did. We can't say they are responsible for her death though, because they aren't.
Apparently she wasn't even the one who discussed the Duchess's medical condition as well. I don't know what was going on in her personal life beforehand but I'm deeply saddened nonethless & feel very much for her family :frown: The hospital is a serious place so I don't really know what on earth possessed them to do a prank call in there, I love having a laugh but seriously it's just not on.
"Killed herself" please! Those trusted in the Royal circle, such as those working for that hospital, are punished severely for incompetence. Prince Phillip got MI5 to have her whacked. Let's not pretend it was the first time he's done it.
Original post by Multitalented me
Apparently she wasn't even the one who discussed the Duchess's medical condition as well. I don't know what was going on in her personal life beforehand but I'm deeply saddened nonethless & feel very much for her family :frown: The hospital is a serious place so I don't really know what on earth possessed them to do a prank call in there, I love having a laugh but seriously it's just not on.

I agree, I love pranks but this one was a bit too far, hospital staff are pushed as it is let alone having to deal with the stress of this going on now as well. :frown:
Can't say I agree with the press victimising the two DJ's, they'd be well served to remember that the press hasn't exactly got a good reputation when it comes to pranks/phone hacking.

And don't get me wrong, it's a complete tragedy that the nurse has committed suicide. Especially as she was a mother and a wife. However the way people are pinning this on the DJ's is just despicable. We've all pranked somebody before, and yes they took this one perhaps a little too far but even Prince Charles - yes, the man who's parents just got impersonated in an act of 'treason' - made light of the prank itself. People love a scapegoat, none so more than the media of course, but a woman committing suicide because of a prank call, no matter your views on how distasteful it is, that is completely unpredictable. The DJ's will take it to the grave, they'll be blamed and hounded by the media, probably to depression themselves, but I get the impression that she must have been in a fragile state already. They weren't to know - that is the danger of pranking a stranger - but it's really is unfortunate, and that is all.
Reply 116
Original post by EmperorMustard
Can't say I agree with the press victimising the two DJ's, they'd be well served to remember that the press hasn't exactly got a good reputation when it comes to pranks/phone hacking.

And don't get me wrong, it's a complete tragedy that the nurse has committed suicide. Especially as she was a mother and a wife. However the way people are pinning this on the DJ's is just despicable. We've all pranked somebody before, and yes they took this one perhaps a little too far but even Prince Charles - yes, the man who's parents just got impersonated in an act of 'treason' - made light of the prank itself. People love a scapegoat, none so more than the media of course, but a woman committing suicide because of a prank call, no matter your views on how distasteful it is, that is completely unpredictable. The DJ's will take it to the grave, they'll be blamed and hounded by the media, probably to depression themselves, but I get the impression that she must have been in a fragile state already. They weren't to know - that is the danger of pranking a stranger - but it's really is unfortunate, and that is all.

That's why your mamma told you to behave and not to do things like these to others... see what happens now? Of course it's unpredictable; that's why don't do things if you don't know the consequences.

So, if you, say a 20-40 year old person who should know better, play a prank on me and I broke my back, becoming disable for the rest of my life, then it's no one's fault? Owh... blame it on my back is it? Nice scapegoat.

When "we", and I mean decent people, prank people, we don't go to critical areas, such as hospitals, wards, etc to make jokes. We do it with the people we actually know. Not complete strangers. Owh, and we don't do it to have high radio ratings to get more money.

It's really common sense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kka25
That's why your mamma told you to behave and not to do things like these to others... see what happens now? Of course it's unpredictable; that's why don't do things if you don't know the consequences.

So, if you, say a 20-40 year old person who should know better, play a prank on me and I broke my back, becoming disable for the rest of my life, then it's no one's fault? Owh... blame it on my back is it? Nice scapegoat.

When "we", and I mean decent people, prank people, we don't go to critical areas, such as hospitals, wards, etc to make jokes. We do it with the people we actually know. Not complete strangers. Owh, and we don't do it to have high radio ratings to get more money.

It's really common sense.

As I said, they went too far by calling a hospital. But seriously? That's a rubbish comparison, somebody pranking you so that you break your back. For starters this wasn't even a physical prank which could more easily go wrong. If pranking somebody over the phone was that big a deal then Fonejacker would be a mass murderer by now. It's not like there is a known link between prank calling and suicide, why would anybody even consider that as a consequence? I just don't see how they can be blamed. If they knew the consequences then fine, but it's quite obvious to those who are capable of making their own minds up about it that they didn't, they couldnt.

I swear we live in a society of complete Daily Mail reading killjoys, it was supposed to be a bit of harmless fun, yes it was ill advised but it's had terrible consequences that nobody would have foreseen, mainly thanks to the whole thing getting blown so much out of proportion by the media.

If anybody should get blamed for this it's the British press. As always they've gone completely OTT about what should be a non-story. Now they are looking for somebody to blame and guess what, your typical British citizens are flocking to the target like hungry sheep. In all honesty, the poor woman probably killed herself because just one day ago the media were having a go at the hospital for letting the prank call get through to Kate's bedside.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by EmperorMustard
As I said, they went too far by calling a hospital. But seriously? That's a rubbish comparison, somebody pranking you so that you break your back. For starters this wasn't even a physical prank which could more easily go wrong. If pranking somebody over the phone was that big a deal then Fonejacker would be a mass murderer by now. It's not like there is a known link between prank calling and suicide, why would anybody even consider that as a consequence? I just don't see how they can be blamed. If they knew the consequences then fine, but it's quite obvious to those who are capable of making their own minds up about it that they didn't, they couldnt.

I swear we live in a society of complete Daily Mail reading killjoys, it was supposed to be a bit of harmless fun, yes it was ill advised but it's had terrible consequences that nobody would have foreseen, mainly thanks to the whole thing getting blown so much out of proportion by the media.

If anybody should get blamed for this it's the British press. As always they've gone completely OTT about what should be a non-story. Now they are looking for somebody to blame and guess what, your typical British citizens are flocking to the target like hungry sheep. In all honesty, the poor woman probably killed herself because just one day ago the media were having a go at the hospital for letting the prank call get through to Kate's bedside.

The way I see it, I don't think you see or even have the comprehension of how harmful these sort of things really are; sometimes psychological harm is more harmful than physical harm; why? because you can't see it; you can't touch it; you can't smell it. It's ALL, literally, inside the head. Can you see that chemical imbalance? No. Of course not. But you keep on judging anyway. I gave the physical example because it's something that you CAN see, and yet you have a dismissive attitude towards it. Shame really.
Ignorance will make people say things like, "Owh, she just needs to get over it!". And how on earth would you even know what kind of things she went through? Are you her? Are you God know? I'm not her but at least I know the danger of doing things like these to people. Saying my example is rubbish shows how defensive and out of touch you are with reality.

Because nobody could see is why we don't do things like these to others. This is what we called respect;professionalism;moral, etc. She has a job and a family. Have you ever heard of being responsible for your actions? I'm sorry, but I don't think you even know the meaning of the phrase.

Who are you to make such strong statement like that? Saying things like that shows arrogance and ignorance basically.

Some of these are very good to read:

Seriously? Ridiculed world wide, dead a few days later is a coincidence? I'd make a strong case for cause and effect. As for the DJs, they were not present for when this person took her life but they are not blameless. It is exactly because you DON'T KNOW the mental state of someone, that these pranks are wrong. "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt" exists for a reason. Of course, the woman had mental health issues, making her a laughingstock did not help in any way. I don't see what is so hard to comprehend about this. They had no business trying to get information in the first place.

I am so tiredof people and their "pranks". Just because something is funny to you does not mean it is funny to the person you are pranking. They didn't even think (or care) about the mental condition this woman was in. While they were bragging about what a great prank they had pulled off and milking it for ratings for the next couple of days they didn't even care that the women involved might lose their jobs.
Or face public humiliation.

And if the DJs are so innocent and had no anticipation of getting through they should have hung up the phone when Jacintha put them on hold. They had a couple of seconds (when they were laughing and saying this was the best prank ever) to slam the phone down since they didn't want the call to go through, as they claim. They had the chance to end it but they chose not to.

Yes, the women should have known there was no way the Queen would call herself and should have realized that it wasn't her and Prince Charles since the accents were so terrible. I'm sure they are telling themselves that so they won't feel guilty. A woman is dead andtwo children are motherless. On another note I'm sure Kate feels very sad this happened and that's more stress on her in her condition.

I wonder if those DJs are laughing niow

The best is this:

Yes, if they're let off the hook for two nurses falling for their horrible impersonations should they be let off the hook for trying to get someone's medical information by impersonating someone else? That's exactly what they did. They were horrible impersonations but they were still impersonating someone else. The nurses should have known better but obviously they didn't. That doesn't mean the DJs should be let off the hook.

I wonder how the DJs feel now that THEY are they ones facing public humiliation and scorn. I wonder how they feel now that others are now probing into all their private business.

Karma is a bitch and it always comes back. That's why it's always advisable to treat others the way you want to be treated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by kka25
The way I see it, I don't think you see or even have the comprehension of how harmful these sort of things really are; sometimes psychological harm is more harmful than physical harm; why? because you can't see it; you can't touch it; you can't smell it. It's ALL, literally, inside the head. Can you see that chemical imbalance? No. Of course not. But you keep on judging anyway. I gave the physical example because it's something that you CAN see, and yet you have a dismissive attitude towards it. Shame really.
Ignorance will make people say things like, "Owh, she just needs to get over it!". And how on earth would you even know what kind of things she went through? Are you her? Are you God know? I'm not her but at least I know the danger of doing things like these to people. Saying my example is rubbish shows how defensive and out of touch you are with reality.

Because nobody could see is why we don't do things like these to others. This is what we called respect;professionalism;moral, etc. She has a job and a family. Have you ever heard of being responsible for your actions? I'm sorry, but I don't think you even know the meaning of the phrase.

Who are you to make such strong statement like that? Saying things like that shows arrogance and ignorance basically.

Some of these are very good to read:

The best is this:

You're allowed to ask for stuff, even if you know it shouldn't be given to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending