The Student Room Group

2Day FM (Australian Radio) Prank Call Kate Middleton's Hospital

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Hopple
You're allowed to ask for stuff, even if you know it shouldn't be given to you.

"Stuff" maybe. Confidential, sensitive medical information? No.
Reply 121
Original post by Hopple
You're allowed to ask for stuff, even if you know it shouldn't be given to you.

Errr, no. This isn't even the slightest bit true.
Reply 122
Original post by music788
"Stuff" maybe. Confidential, sensitive medical information? No.

Original post by Dez
Errr, no. This isn't even the slightest bit true.

Any stuff, yes. The hospital is the entity with the obligation to the patient, not some random on the street. Heck, the royal family have more of a moral obligation to Kate than the radio station, and they publicised the facts that Kate was pregnant, was in a specific hospital, had morning sickness and would be there for a while.
Original post by kka25
The way I see it, I don't think you see or even have the comprehension of how harmful these sort of things really are; sometimes psychological harm is more harmful than physical harm; why? because you can't see it; you can't touch it; you can't smell it. It's ALL, literally, inside the head. Can you see that chemical imbalance? No. Of course not. But you keep on judging anyway. I gave the physical example because it's something that you CAN see, and yet you have a dismissive attitude towards it. Shame really.
Ignorance will make people say things like, "Owh, she just needs to get over it!". And how on earth would you even know what kind of things she went through? Are you her? Are you God know? I'm not her but at least I know the danger of doing things like these to people. Saying my example is rubbish shows how defensive and out of touch you are with reality.

Because nobody could see is why we don't do things like these to others. This is what we called respect;professionalism;moral, etc. She has a job and a family. Have you ever heard of being responsible for your actions? I'm sorry, but I don't think you even know the meaning of the phrase.

Who are you to make such strong statement like that? Saying things like that shows arrogance and ignorance basically.

Some of these are very good to read:

The best is this:

:lol: Christ spare me the lecture. Out of touch of reality for pointing out that there is absolutely no link between prank calling somebody and then that person committing suicide. Yes, the DJ's should feel bad for prank calling a hospital which itself was stupid as I have repeatedly said, but to even suggest that they are to blame for her committing suicide is completely moronic. It was the media who vilified the nurses for letting the call get through, the media who threw this whole hurrah about it and now the media who are looking for somebody else to blame.

All the DJ's did is phone up with crappy accents. They didn't - and sorry to be so blunt - tell her to go and commit suicide. There was absolutely no reason to even pass the thought of her doing such a thing, it was a prank, it wasn't malicious and it even made Prince Charles laugh. Suddenly the media want to make this big song and dance out of it, talk about how the hospital should have done better for our darling Kate is shoved down our throats. Maybe they should be considering the mental stability of the nurses. After all, it wouldn't be the first time the media has driven somebody to kill themselves and it certainly won't be the last.

Say I call you now, pretending to be your mother of father. I play a little prank. So you think the thought of you or anybody else committing suicide would even cross my mind? No. Should it? No. Because there is no link. The DJ's didn't bully the nurse, although given that bullying is rife in the nursing profession I wouldn't be surprised if her colleagues did. The media did, too, and yet somehow they aren't being blamed because too many people think what they want us to think.

'Have you ever heard of being responsible for your actions?' No, sorry, I don't think you know the meaning of the phrase. If the DJ's called up the hospital with even an inkling of thought that the nurse could commit suicide then yes they could be blamed. But they wouldn't think that, nobody could think that and nobody will ever think that because, and I repeat, there is no link. You take responsibility when you shoot somebody, because you know the potential consequences, whether that be before or after the deed is done. But with this, nobody foresaw these consequences before, because prank calling leads to death is a ridiculous suggestion.

Sorry about the long winded post, and I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I can see this going around in circles. I will emphasise that calling the hospital was stupid, and that her suicide was tragic, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only link was the media going over the top about it.
Reply 124
Original post by Hopple
Any stuff, yes.

I'd imagine that attempting to obtain medical records fraudulently, via deception, is a prosecutable offence or at the very least a very stupid and unfunny thing to do.

Original post by EmperorMustard
It was the media who vilified the nurses for letting the call get through, the media who threw this whole hurrah about it and now the media who are looking for somebody else to blame.

Are you forgetting that the radio station itself also falls under the 'media'? The DJ's were also laughing about the 'stupidity' of the nurse all over their radio station, website, and various social media sites. It's the radio station itself that drew the attention of the rest of the world to the prank.

Say I call you now, pretending to be your mother of father. I play a little prank. So you think the thought of you or anybody else committing suicide would even cross my mind?

Unfortunately I think you are missing the main point. This isn't someone ringing someone else up and pretending to be his/her mother or father, this is someone ringing a HOSPITAL, and more importantly, a nurse who more than likely works terrible and stressful hours for poor pay. This isn't a case of someone pranking her local shop or bar. It's a hospital. Cheap laughs in exchange for confidential hospital records? I wouldn't even call them 'cheap laughs'. If this is standard Australian humour then i'm glad i'm not Australian.

Because there is no link.

Even when considering the bigger picture, do you honestly think that this nurse would have still committed suicide if this prank hadn't happened? You cannot deny that the prank played some part in this whole mess. And unfortunately, as someone else has already pointed out, lack of intent does not justify the DJ's behaviour.

How can you claim that there is 'no' link? How can you disprove that the stress of potential disclipinary action/being fired/god knows what else, the nurse was so embarrassed by her poor judgement being played by every news station in the UK/OZ/wider world that she decided to take her own life? I don't know that, you don't know that- and we may NEVER know that. The only person who can verify that there is 'no link' would be the poor woman in question herself, and if even if she could, I feel she would disagree with you.

Nurse embarrassed worldwide for poor judgement. Probably faces being fired. Nurse commits suicide days later. How you can draw a 'no link' inference from this baffles me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 125
I'd imagine that attempting to obtain medical records fraudulently, via deception, is a prosecutable offence or at the very least a very stupid and unfunny thing to do.

Are you forgetting that the radio station itself also falls under the 'media'? The DJ's were also laughing about the 'stupidity' of the nurse all over their radio station, website, and various social media sites. It's the radio station itself that drew the attention of the rest of the world to the prank.

Unfortunately I think you are missing the main point. This isn't someone ringing someone else up and pretending to be his/her mother or father, this is someone ringing a HOSPITAL, and more importantly, a nurse who more than likely works terrible and stressful hours for poor pay. This isn't a case of someone pranking her local shop or bar. It's a hospital. Cheap laughs in exchange for confidential hospital records? I wouldn't even call them 'cheap laughs'. If this is standard Australian humour then i'm glad i'm not Australian.

Even when considering the bigger picture, do you honestly think that this nurse would have still committed suicide if this prank hadn't happened? You cannot deny that the prank played some part in this whole mess. And unfortunately, as someone else has already pointed out, lack of intent does not justify the DJ's behaviour.

How can you claim that there is 'no' link? How can you disprove that the stress of potential disclipinary action/being fired/god knows what else, the nurse was so embarrassed by her poor judgement being played by every news station in the UK/OZ/wider world that she decided to take her own life? I don't know that, you don't know that- and we may NEVER know that. The only person who can verify that there is 'no link' would be the poor woman in question herself, and if even if she could, I feel she would disagree with you.

Nurse embarrassed worldwide for poor judgement. Probably faces being fired. Nurse commits suicide days later. How you can draw a 'no link' inference from this baffles me.

I know right? I didn't even bother reading the reply post. I'm just bemused with people like that.
Reply 126
In other words, you don't know, didn't find it funny, so think it should be illegal. If it's illegal find the law that says so, not just imagining it. Go on.

I notice you didn't want to address the fact that the royal family gave out far, far more information on Kate than the radio station did, but you're not having a go at them.

I don't think it is. The station had the segment passed over by a lawyer before airing it so I presume it wasn't illegal in any way.

But it wasn't the DJ's who were calling for the nurses to be sacked or 2Day FM. It was the British media who vilified the nurses.

As I have already said umpteen times it was ill advised to call a hospital, so I don't know why I keep on getting brought up on this...

Okay firstly you have completely twisted what i have said. I never said there is no link between this prank call and this woman committing suicide. What I did say is that in the general world, a general case, there is no known link between prank calling people and committing suicide. This was a complete one off, nothing more. How can you consider a consequence that has never happened before?

Yes it would be a massive coincidence for the nurse to kill herself just days after this prank, but what I mean is that nobody has ever been killed by just a prank call. If that was the case, as I said earlier, Fonejacker would be a mass murderer. Why would the DJ's anticipate all of this happening? Why would anyone? Did you? No, everybodies initial thought was to blame the hospital for letting the call get through, and the DJ's for trying to learn of Kate's medical condition. The story was picked up by the British media and magnified, they made a big deal out of it. The DJ's stupidly thought it was funny how they actually got medical information, yes, but they weren't to know the possible repercussions. Nobody did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing you see. It's easy to blame the DJ's, they are an easy target, but it is in no way as linear as that.

This woman likely killed herself due to the media going OTT about the whole thing, calling for her to be sacked or punished in some way for an innocent mistake. You can blame the DJ's for making a silly decision to prank call the wrong place, fine, I've said that millions of times. But you can thank the British media for deciding to vilify the nurses and hospital for letting the call get through. Of course, they have changed their tune now. Now watch the DJ's get hounded by the media, they love a target. They'll drive them to depression too, the media has no care for the feelings of the people they publish stories about. They'll drive them into the ground, call for them to get sacked, say what bad people they are. Oh, but we've seen this before, just two or three days ago in fact. Déjà vu.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by Hopple
In other words, you don't know, didn't find it funny, so think it should be illegal. If it's illegal find the law that says so, not just imagining it. Go on.

I notice you didn't want to address the fact that the royal family gave out far, far more information on Kate than the radio station did, but you're not having a go at them.

Original post by Hopple
Any stuff, yes. The hospital is the entity with the obligation to the patient, not some random on the street. Heck, the royal family have more of a moral obligation to Kate than the radio station, and they publicised the facts that Kate was pregnant, was in a specific hospital, had morning sickness and would be there for a while.

:facepalm2:

If you can't differentiate that with a "radio station", then someone please improve our education system.
Reply 129
Original post by kka25
:facepalm2:

If you can't differentiate that with a "radio station", then someone please improve our education system.
If you can't differentiate the PR part of the "royal family" from her family then someone please improve our education system.
Reply 130
I don't think it is. The station had the segment passed over by a lawyer before airing it so I presume it wasn't illegal in any way.

LOL. As if. And even if they did seek legal advice, surely that should have been ringing alarm bells to the DJ's that this prank could have turned sour in some way?

Okay firstly you have completely twisted what i have said. I never said there is no link between this prank call and this woman committing suicide. What I did say is that in the general world, a general case, there is no known link between prank calling people and committing suicide. This was a complete one off, nothing more. How can you consider a consequence that has never happened before?

I wasn't aware that the topic of discussion in this thread was 'general pranks'. What a ridiculous statement to make, that in the general world there is no link between pranks and suicide- this case is not a 'general' case though is it? It involves confidential information and already highly stressed and pressured hospital staff. I can't think of another prank where someone/some people have pranked a hospital in an attempt to obtain confidential information about a member of the royal family. Can you? How on earth can you say that just because a prank like this hasn't occurred before and is therefore a one off, that this wasn't a stupid idea of the DJ's? If it's never been done before then even MORE the reason to not do it, because no-one would have known what the consequences would be. Not to mention the fact that the reason it hasn't been done before is because it's completely moronic.

Yes it would be a massive coincidence for the nurse to kill herself just days after this prank, but what I mean is that nobody has ever been killed by just a prank call.

No-one on this thread is saying this. What I am saying is that it is likely that the nurse probably had numerous other issues going on in her life as well. But this ill-judged prank was likely the straw that broke the camels back, and is therefore partly responsible.

It's easy to blame the DJ's, they are an easy target, but it is in no way as linear as that.

They are highly likely to be partly responsible at least for what has happened.

This woman likely killed herself due to the media going OTT about the whole thing, calling for her to be sacked or punished in some way for an innocent mistake. You can blame the DJ's for making a silly decision to prank call the wrong place, fine, I've said that millions of times. But you can thank the British media for deciding to vilify the nurses and hospital for letting the call get through. Of course, they have changed their tune now. Now watch the DJ's get hounded by the media, they love a target. They'll drive them to depression too, the media has no care for the feelings of the people they publish stories about. They'll drive them into the ground, call for them to get sacked, say what bad people they are. Oh, but we've seen this before, just two or three days ago in fact. Déjà vu.

I have never doubted that the British media aren't to blame in all this as well- of course they are. But give the media a reason to blow something up and out of proportion and they will. And who gave them a reason? The DJ's prank. I know they say that they didn't expect for their 'prank' to work, but at the end of the day they could have chose to stop it but they continued- and in doing so, they MUST have realised a media frenzy was to ensue.
Reply 131
Original post by Hopple

Your logic is second to none. I didn't find it funny, so I think it should be illegal. Absolutely. *facepalm*

Original post by Hopple

I didn't address it because I couldn't decipher what on earth you were talking about it. Now that you've written it better, I will answer your question. The royal family are just that- FAMILY. If they want to publicly broadcast information about their FAMILY member with her consent, then what could be wrong with that? Why would I, or anybody have a 'go at them' for that?

What information the hospital actually chose to give out isn't important-what's important is that the radio station were trying to get inside information in the first place. Luckily, the hospital didn't give out anything extra. Maybe, even, there was nothing extra too give out. Kate has morning sickness and that's that. That doesn't change the intentions of the DJ's. They were digging for more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 132
They deserve to be put in prison.

They deliberately set out to undermine, fool someone and trick them to make themselves look good and appear funny. Disgusting and nasty.
I imagine that when the DJs and their team planned this prank, it seemed like a really good idea. They would call the hospital, put on funny accents and, what with confidentiality being a big thing, they would meet with some resistance making way for some humour and then being hung up on. I can't imagine that they (the radio station) ever thought that they would actually be put through and given information.

When they were put through, the prank should have been dropped. The call ceased being a prank and became an invasion of privacy. I am sure we have all carried out pranks. But they have limits and most decent people would know when to stop the prank.

With the above in mind, I think that there are some concerns about the judgment of the DJs and however else was responsible. I am not saying that they should be hung out to dry, but they should certainly be reminded that there is a time and a place for pranks... and even where it is the right time, and the right place, the situation can change so as to require one to rethink and take appropriate action.

All that said, the nurse committing suicide could not have been foreseeable. The DJs are responsible for performing a bad prank and letting it get out of hand. Not for the death of the nurse.
Reply 134
Original post by Hopple
If you can't differentiate the PR part of the "royal family" from her family then someone please improve our education system.

:laugh:

And you know it's "PR" how? Owh, yeah. Some magical unicorn told you ye :rolleyes:

Your logic is second to none. I didn't find it funny, so I think it should be illegal. Absolutely. *facepalm*

I didn't address it because I couldn't decipher what on earth you were talking about it. Now that you've written it better, I will answer your question. The royal family are just that- FAMILY. If they want to publicly broadcast information about their FAMILY member with her consent, then what could be wrong with that? Why would I, or anybody have a 'go at them' for that?

What information the hospital actually chose to give out isn't important-what's important is that the radio station were trying to get inside information in the first place. Luckily, the hospital didn't give out anything extra. Maybe, even, there was nothing extra too give out. Kate has morning sickness and that's that. That doesn't change the intentions of the DJ's. They were digging for more.

Exactly.

Read this:

'I'm actually starting to get worried about stupid people. Must be spending too much time on TSR.'
- beebumble
LOL. As if. And even if they did seek legal advice, surely that should have been ringing alarm bells to the DJ's that this prank could have turned sour in some way?

You can 'LOL' all you like, I was right.

A source confirmed that 2DayFM’s lawyers had listened to audio of the entire call and had given it clearance to go to air.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244608/Jacintha-Saldanha-Familys-grief-suicide-nurse-transferred-DJs-hoax-Kate-Middleton-hospital-call.html

What, so you predicted that the nurse would commit suicide? Well done you. Personally I'd be inclined to agree with the stations CEO who said:

'I think prank calls as a craft in radio have been going for decades and decades and are not just part of one radio station or network or country.
'No-one could have reasonably foreseen what ended up being an incredibly tragic day.'

I wasn't aware that the topic of discussion in this thread was 'general pranks'. What a ridiculous statement to make, that in the general world there is no link between pranks and suicide- this case is not a 'general' case though is it? It involves confidential information and already highly stressed and pressured hospital staff. I can't think of another prank where someone/some people have pranked a hospital in an attempt to obtain confidential information about a member of the royal family. Can you? How on earth can you say that just because a prank like this hasn't occurred before and is therefore a one off, that this wasn't a stupid idea of the DJ's? If it's never been done before then even MORE the reason to not do it, because no-one would have known what the consequences would be. Not to mention the fact that the reason it hasn't been done before is because it's completely moronic.

So we should assume that because they are hospital staff that a prank call would cause them to kill themselves? My oh my that is quite an assumption. Of course pranks like this have happened before, I don't know where you got me saying that they don't from. What I did say is that consequences like this have not happened before. Do you live in some sort of world where nobody has ever been pranked? Or, if you do live in the same world as myself, do you know of anybody who killed themselves due to a prank call? Did you ever watch Fonejacker? Brasseye?

I really don't think you can start linking prank calls to suicide. Yes she may have had other issues in her life and what not, I don't doubt it, but if the media had just left the story alone rather than making it sound ten times worse, calling for the nurses jobs and sanctions for the hospital, then she would still be alive.

Bottom line is you can't prepare for what you can't foresee. Nobody would have predicted the nurse killing herself because of a prank call. It could be predicted that the media vilifying her and her co-workers would lead to suicide however. The media is to blame, not the DJ's, at least not for her suicide. For a serious lack of judgement, yes, but everything that transpired post prank call was thanks to the British media picking a target. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see these DJ's really struggle with depression now the media has made them the enemy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 136
You can 'LOL' all you like, I was right.

My point still stands- if they had to seek legal advice for a prank, they should have known they'd end up getting into hot water some way or another.

What, so you predicted that the nurse would commit suicide? Well done you.

I did not predict it and never said it. No clue where you got that from.

I really don't think you can start linking prank calls to suicide. Yes she may have had other issues in her life and what not, I don't doubt it, but if the media had just left the story alone rather than making it sound ten times worse, calling for the nurses jobs and sanctions for the hospital, then she would still be alive.

Oh my. I really am going round in circles here. No-one is trying to execute some sort of gigantic research correlation study here linking prank calls to suicide- we are talking about an INDIVIDUAL case. Each prank is different. This prank, as a previous poster pointed out, went beyond a prank and turned into an invasion of privacy when the DJ's continued to carry on with it after they'd successfully been put through to the staff responsible for Kate' care. And also like I said, they shouldn't have given something for the media to blow up in the first place. This could have all been avoided if they had stopped their prank where appropriate.

Bottom line is you can't prepare for what you can't foresee.

The bottom line is, is that when you hit the point where you can stop yourself from doing something that is a blatant invasion of privacy, then stop. It was the DJ's that carried on, thus giving the media something to chat about in the first place.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see these DJ's really struggle with depression now the media has made them the enemy.

The radio station ARE classed as media, why is this so hard to understand? They did the prank, they LAUGHED about it on air and laughed and joked that someone would be so stupid as to not question their accents. That makes them just as bad as the 'British media' newspapers who were saying the EXACT same things. By saying the media is to blame then you are also saying that the DJ's are to blame, since they have both said exactly the same things :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
It's really saddening. If I had been the nurse I wouldn't want to question the queens authority myself. I will say obviously it was all a bit of fun to start with, but why is prank calling a hospital fun? Those people are there to save lives. If I was the DJ's I would have hung up soon as she said they would give them info.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 138
Original post by _Shmiley
I will say obviously it was all a bit of fun to start with, but why is prank calling a hospital fun? Those people are there to save lives. If I was the DJ's I would have hung up soon as she said they would give them info.

Exactly.
Reply 139
You said specifically you aren't allowed to ask for it, i.e. that is is illegal. Now you've watered that down to just saying you think it should be illegal, that was all I was pointing out.

I have a hard time believing she'd want all that stuff publicised, and if she really didn't mind, she wouldn't mind the radio stations antics either. I say the royal family assuming you'd know I meant their PR front, I doubt William decided it was a good idea to publicise everything either.

They can ask for information. It is the hospital and its staff that have the duty to their patients' privacy, not some random people. Asking and getting is fine, it's the giving that was the breach.

Original post by kka25
:laugh:

And you know it's "PR" how? Owh, yeah. Some magical unicorn told you ye :rolleyes:

Because every article quoted "St James Palace" rather than her husband or other member of her family. If you'd read the articles you'd have noticed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending