The Student Room Group

2Day FM (Australian Radio) Prank Call Kate Middleton's Hospital

Scroll to see replies

Original post by music788

The radio station ARE classed as media, why is this so hard to understand? They did the prank, they LAUGHED about it on air and laughed and joked that someone would be so stupid as to not question their accents. That makes them just as bad as the 'British media' newspapers who were saying the EXACT same things. By saying the media is to blame then you are also saying that the DJ's are to blame, since they have both said exactly the same things :rolleyes:

Do you know why they laughed? BECAUSE TO THEM IT WAS ****ING FUNNY. Seriously, it's like some people literally live in the Daily Mail offices, forced to never laugh or have a bit of fun. The prank call was done in good intention, it was done to make people laugh and they even said it wasn't malicious. Just a day ago, people like you did find it funny. Prince ****ing Charles found it funny. Now, before you get on your high horse I would like to point out that prank calling a hospital is not funny, obviously. It was stupid. But there is nothing wrong with laughing at the fact that people would fall for your crap impressions. Yes, as I have already said, the radio station is a form of media. But as I have also already said IT WAS NOT THE RADIO STATION THAT VILIFIED THE NURSES. It was the British media. Do you think she killed herself because some Aussie's laughed at her falling for their accents? No, she killed herself because the British media destroyed her and her co-workers for letting the call get through in the first place.

It's not the responsibility of the DJ's to prevent this, it's the responsibility of the security team in place. They did nothing illegal, every man and his dog knew the situation thanks to the intrusive British press. A decision was made by the producers that the segment was O.K. to air, not the DJ's. And I bet they, just like the DJ's, yourself, me and everybody else did not foresee this woman killing herself. It wouldn't have even crossed their minds, it's such a ridiculous notion. It's never happened before, it will never happen again. The DJ's cannot be blamed. The media would love you to blame them of course, and sadly it appears some people can't make their own mind up about things because it's quite obvious to the majority of people I have spoken to that this nurse killed herself thanks to the media vilifying her and blowing a non-story out of proportion. The media must have known the effect this would have on somebody, they are the most powerful organisations in the UK and if they want to vilify you, the worlds becomes a very hard place to be in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 141
Original post by Hopple
You said specifically you aren't allowed to ask for it, i.e. that is is illegal. Now you've watered that down to just saying you think it should be illegal, that was all I was pointing out.

No, I was quoting you putting words in my mouth. I said I would imagine that obtaining confidential records via deception is illegal. I never said 'I think' or 'I don't think' it should be illegal- you put those words in my mouth with your post. My reply, "Your logic is second to none. I didn't find it funny, so I think it should be illegal. Absolutely. *facepalm*" was SARCASM, believe it or not. I was quoting the (ridiculous) words you put into my mouth, that I never said.

Original post by Hopple
I have a hard time believing she'd want all that stuff publicised, and if she really didn't mind, she wouldn't mind the radio stations antics either. I say the royal family assuming you'd know I meant their PR front, I doubt William decided it was a good idea to publicise everything either.

I don't understand why you are discussing this irrelevant point with yourself. Whether what the Royal Family says is representative of what Kate wants to be said in public is a completely different topic of discussion altogether.

Original post by Hopple
They can ask for information. It is the hospital and its staff that have the duty to their patients' privacy, not some random people. Asking and getting is fine, it's the giving that was the breach.

It is fundamentally if not illegally wrong to OBTAIN medical records for the sake of a few cheap laughs. It may not be illegal to ASK, but it is certainly wrong nonetheless, and this is exactly why they should have stopped the prank when the hospital started to give them information. The DJ's went one step further than this 'asking' you keep banging on about- they obtained. Not to mention the fact that the hospital were under the impression that they were giving information to Kate's family. If the hospital were happily giving information to some randomer who rang up and asked for information, then of course that's wrong. But this nurse believed that she was not breaching privacy and instead thought that she was giving information to family members.
Reply 142
No, I was quoting you putting words in my mouth. I said I would imagine that obtaining confidential records via deception is illegal. I never said 'I think' or 'I don't think' it should be illegal- you put those words in my mouth with your post. My reply, "Your logic is second to none. I didn't find it funny, so I think it should be illegal. Absolutely. *facepalm*" was SARCASM, believe it or not. I was quoting the (ridiculous) words you put into my mouth, that I never said.
Look at post 127.

I don't understand why you are discussing this irrelevant point with yourself. Whether what the Royal Family says is representative of what Kate wants to be said in public is a completely different topic of discussion altogether.
I'm accusing you of double standards, of going after the radio station but not the PR office (i.e. not a member of her family) St James Palace.

It is fundamentally if not illegally wrong to OBTAIN medical records for the sake of a few cheap laughs. It may not be illegal to ASK, but it is certainly wrong nonetheless, and this is exactly why they should have stopped the prank when the hospital started to give them information. The DJ's went one step further than this 'asking' you keep banging on about- they obtained. Not to mention the fact that the hospital were under the impression that they were giving information to Kate's family. If the hospital were happily giving information to some randomer who rang up and asked for information, then of course that's wrong. But this nurse believed that she was not breaching privacy and instead thought that she was giving information to family members.
They can obtain, it's the hospital that aren't allowed to give. Just because the hospital has rules for itself to not give out details doesn't mean outsiders have done anything wrong if they happen to get employees to break the rules. It's like a customer asking for a refund and getting it when they shouldn't have been given one. The rules are for the hospital/shop, not outsiders.
Reply 143
Original post by EmperorMustard
Do you know why they laughed? BECAUSE TO THEM IT WAS ****ING FUNNY. Seriously, it's like some people literally live in the Daily Mail offices, forced to never laugh or have a bit of fun.

Of course they found it funny- they found it hilarious. I never said that they didn't. But you can't slate the British media for saying how stupid the nurse was without slating the DJ's, who did the very same thing.

The prank call was done in good intention, it was done to make people laugh and they even said it wasn't malicious.

Good intentions? They planned to make people laugh at the expense of utterly embarrassing someone else and making them look stupid, so that the DJ's would look hilarious. Those are some great intentions.

Just a day ago, people like you did find it funny.

Actually I was completely impartial to it. Some people who may have originally found it funny are now retracting that, but I never found it funny in the first place.

Now, before you get on your high horse I would like to point out that prank calling a hospital is not funny, obviously. It was stupid. But there is nothing wrong with laughing at the fact that people would fall for your crap impressions.

I'm confused. You say there is nothing wrong with laughing at someone for falling for crap impressions, yet that's exactly what the British Media have done that you have previously blamed in your previous posts? So one minute you're saying the press are terrible for laughing and calling this nurse stupid and vilifying her, and now you're saying its fine to do all this?

Yes, as I have already said, the radio station is a form of media. But as I have also already said IT WAS NOT THE RADIO STATION THAT VILIFIED THE NURSES. It was the British media. Do you think she killed herself because some Aussie's laughed at her falling for their accents? No, she killed herself because the British media destroyed her and her co-workers for letting the call get through in the first place.

I'm bored of saying this. If the DJ's hadn't pulled such an ill-judged prank in a hospital, the media would have had nothing to vilify. Not to mention the fact that the radio station was just as much to blame as the British media, since both the british media and the radio station were saying the exact same things about the nurse.

A decision was made by the producers that the segment was O.K. to air, not the DJ's.

No-one could have foreseen that their accents were going to work, not even the producers or the 'lawyers'. Therefore stopping the prank when it had gone to far was only a call that the DJ's could have made. They decided to keep going.

And I bet they, just like the DJ's, yourself, me and everybody else did not foresee this woman killing herself.

*Yawn* I know that they didn't foresee it. As i've already explained, no-one on this thread is suggesting so, either. LACK OF INTENT DOES NOT JUSTIFY ILL-JUDGED, RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR.

It wouldn't have even crossed their minds, it's such a ridiculous notion. It's never happened before, it will never happen again.

It was such an ill-judged inappropriate prank that it's no wonder someone hasn't tried something like that before. It's now a tragic shame that someone has died for others to realise that this kind of hospital prank is utterly inappropriate.
Reply 144
Original post by Hopple
I'm accusing you of double standards, of going after the radio station but not the PR office (i.e. not a member of her family) St James Palace.

I'm not going after the PR office because the PR office released the information that the Royal Family wanted them too...? Read my previous post that addressed this- why would anyone go after the PR office? And, if i've already said, if you're accusing the royal family's PR team of releasing information that Kate would not want released, then not only would you be able to ever prove that, but it's totally irrelevant and a completely different issue to the topic we're discussing. Feel free to create a thread on it though.

Original post by Hopple
They can obtain, it's the hospital that aren't allowed to give. Just because the hospital has rules for itself to not give out details doesn't mean outsiders have done anything wrong if they happen to get employees to break the rules. It's like a customer asking for a refund and getting it when they shouldn't have been given one. The rules are for the hospital/shop, not outsiders.

Hospitals are allowed to give information to family members, are they not? The nurse in question believed she was doing so. She may have been breaching rules but as far as she was aware, she was not, and never meant too. Whether you think she was stupid to believe the accents is irrelevant and is a matter of opinion- but the fact of the matter is is that she BELIEVED she was following procedure and giving information to Kate's family. This is another reason why this prank should have stopped at this point, rather than vilifying some poor woman who probably believed that this was all her fault.

As soon as the DJ's realised their accents had worked, and that a nurse was about to breach policy and thus was in danger of being fired, that's when the prank becomes distasteful and that's when they should have stopped.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 145
I'm not going after the PR office because the PR office released the information that the Royal Family wanted them too...? Read my previous post that addressed this- why would anyone go after the PR office? And, if i've already said, if you're accusing the royal family's PR team of releasing information that Kate would not want released, then not only would you be able to ever prove that, but it's totally irrelevant and a completely different issue to the topic we're discussing. Feel free to create a thread on it though.
If Kate really was fine with the royal family publicising all that stuff, then she'd be fine with the radio station publicising their stuff too.

Hospitals are allowed to give information to family members, are they not? The nurse in question believed she was doing so. She may have been breaching rules but as far as she was aware, she was not, and never meant too. Whether you think she was stupid to believe the accents is irrelevant and is a matter of opinion- but the fact of the matter is is that she BELIEVED she was following procedure and giving information to Kate's family. This is another reason why this prank should have stopped at this point, rather than vilifying some poor woman who probably believed that this was all her fault.
Not just any old family member. If the patient isn't conscious, you ring to tell their next of kin on a number you know is them, not respond to an incoming phone call from their alleged grandmother-in-law.
Reply 146
Original post by Hopple
If Kate really was fine with the royal family publicising all that stuff, then she'd be fine with the radio station publicising their stuff too.

:rolleyes: How many times do I have to repeat myself before you read what I've written? It's not about what was publicised, it was about the intent to dig for extra information that hadn't yet been released by either the royal family or anyone else. It's all about the INTENT of the DJ's. You've entirely misunderstood this whole prank. It's not all about the information that they did or didn't find from the hospital, it's the fact that they said out to do it via deception in the first place.

Original post by Hopple
Not just any old family member. If the patient isn't conscious, you ring to tell their next of kin on a number you know is them, not respond to an incoming phone call from their alleged grandmother-in-law.

I've never doubted that the nurse's decision was stupid/wrong. However the poor woman should have never been put in that position in the first place in exchange for some laughs. She believed she was doing the right thing.

I've said all I have to say on this thread. At least there is (some) logical argument and intelligent debate coming from EmperorMustard. The same cannot be said for yourself. It was a cute try though. Peace out!
What sick bastard prank calls a hospital anyway?

No matter who it is. Messing with hospitals is not cool.
Reply 148
:rolleyes: How many times do I have to repeat myself before you read what I've written? It's not about what was publicised, it was about the intent to dig for extra information that hadn't yet been released by either the royal family or anyone else. It's all about the INTENT of the DJ's. You've entirely misunderstood this whole prank. It's not all about the information that they did or didn't find from the hospital, it's the fact that they said out to do it via deception in the first place.

I've never doubted that the nurse's decision was stupid/wrong. However the poor woman should have never been put in that position in the first place in exchange for some laughs. She believed she was doing the right thing.

I've said all I have to say on this thread. At least there is (some) logical argument and intelligent debate coming from EmperorMustard. The same cannot be said for yourself. It was a cute try though. Peace out!

I know. You could have tried a bit harder for some of it to be valid though.
Of course they found it funny- they found it hilarious. I never said that they didn't. But you can't slate the British media for saying how stupid the nurse was without slating the DJ's, who did the very same thing.

The British didn't slate her for saying how 'stupid she was'. They criticised the security of the hospital for letting the call through.

Good intentions? They planned to make people laugh at the expense of utterly embarrassing someone else and making them look stupid, so that the DJ's would look hilarious. Those are some great intentions.

Well yes, that is what a prank is. Perhaps you should watch some of Dom Joly's stuff, it's brilliant.

Actually I was completely impartial to it. Some people who may have originally found it funny are now retracting that, but I never found it funny in the first place.

Hence I said people like you. But that's me being a pedant :wink:

I'm confused. You say there is nothing wrong with laughing at someone for falling for crap impressions, yet that's exactly what the British Media have done that you have previously blamed in your previous posts? So one minute you're saying the press are terrible for laughing and calling this nurse stupid and vilifying her, and now you're saying its fine to do all this?

You seem to be mixing up people laughing at the nurses with people vilifying them. The DJ's laughed. The British media vilified her and her coworkers, they did not laugh. They are not the people laughing here, do you think the Daily Mail would print such an article?

I'm bored of saying this. If the DJ's hadn't pulled such an ill-judged prank in a hospital, the media would have had nothing to vilify. Not to mention the fact that the radio station was just as much to blame as the British media, since both the british media and the radio station were saying the exact same things about the nurse.

And I'm bored of saying that prank calling a hospital was not a good idea. But they (the DJ's/British media) were absolutely NOT saying the same thing about the nurse. Whilst the DJ's found it funny that their disguises worked, the media were the ones who set out to vilify her. They were the ones calling for her to be sacked.

No-one could have foreseen that their accents were going to work, not even the producers or the 'lawyers'. Therefore stopping the prank when it had gone to far was only a call that the DJ's could have made. They decided to keep going.

This is completely wrong. The segment was pre-recorded, it wasn't live. Once it was recorded, the lawyers and producers vetted it and passed it as O.K. to air. So no it wasn't down to the DJ's. You will find information that supports this with a simple Google search.

I know that they didn't foresee it. As i've already explained, no-one on this thread is suggesting so, either. LACK OF INTENT DOES NOT JUSTIFY ILL-JUDGED, RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR.

It was ill judged to call the hospital, but there was no intent to harm anybody. I'm not justifying calling the hospital, but in no way can you justify all the hate mail etc the DJ's are now receiving.

It was such an ill-judged inappropriate prank that it's no wonder someone hasn't tried something like that before. It's now a tragic shame that someone has died for others to realise that this kind of hospital prank is utterly inappropriate.

You don't know that. I would bet the Royal Family get loads of prank calls. Calls to them are supposed to go through a switchboard to a member of the security team, not directly to the family, hence why the nurses and hospital have been vilified by the media. If everybody had done their jobs correctly, none of this would have happened, the DJ's would have still had a laugh and and I would be sat here doing my c++ coursework :borat:.

I think I'm gonna leave it at this as it is, I really need to do work! We'll disagree but it's good to have opinions :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 150
maybe her culture demanded she sacrificed herself for her mistake?
She definitely didn't kill herself over this prank, there is something more large and sinister behind this that will never be uncovered.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
She definitely didn't kill herself over this prank, there is something more large and sinister behind this that will never be uncovered.

No kidding. Since when would an otherwise stable mother of two children decide to KILL HERSELF over a stupid prank phone call? And not even leave a suicide note... convenient.

She remained completely anonymous, all she did is redirect the call over. However this security failing apparently represented too great of a failure to the Windsor mafia, poor girl was killed purely to create a backlash against the radio presenters and deter anyone from daring to intrude on the Royals privacy to make fun of them.

Isn't it strange how all these people mysteriously die around the Royals or end up in prison for sex crimes. I don't believe Kate Middleton was in for "morning sickness" either.
If you think it is these two DJs who are solely to blame for this then you are a moron.

The media and internet will kill these two just like the helped kill the nurse.

She clearly was about to lose her job, and was probably already depressed etc.

People in this world are a joke sometimes.
Reply 154
Original post by Hearty_Beast
Would you really risk asking the queen for proof of identity?! :wink:

See this is the thing. The royals expect special treatment. No matter how much you may doubt whether it is the Queen you daren't say no just in case it is.

Cretins the lot of them.

As for the call, that was pretty funny.
Reply 155
Original post by RtGOAT
See this is the thing. The royals expect special treatment. No matter how much you may doubt whether it is the Queen you daren't say no just in case it is.

Cretins the lot of them.

As for the call, that was pretty funny.
I'd ask. Actually, I'd probably flat out disbelieve them, politely say so and tell them not to waste their time 'proving' stuff to me down the phone. I wouldn't give my name though :colone:
Original post by Hopple
They can ask for information. It is the hospital and its staff that have the duty to their patients' privacy, not some random people. Asking and getting is fine, it's the giving that was the breach.
Deception switches the two around there. Regardless of how bad the imitation was. The information acquired though is so meaningless that I doubt you could lay the charge of breaching privacy or seeking to acquire medical information by deception on the two parties.

I am surprised that they are the ones being blamed for the nurses death though. The nurse must have been under immense pressure and whilst they might have contributed to it the hospital, trust and colleagues/ bosses of that nurse would surely be the most responsible.
Reply 157
Original post by Llamageddon
Deception switches the two around there. Regardless of how bad the imitation was. The information acquired though is so meaningless that I doubt you could lay the charge of breaching privacy or seeking to acquire medical information by deception on the two parties.

I am surprised that they are the ones being blamed for the nurses death though. The nurse must have been under immense pressure and whilst they might have contributed to it the hospital, trust and colleagues/ bosses of that nurse would surely be the most responsible.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the other thread (one of them :tongue:). Any guilt she felt because she reiterated what the royals had already made public would be tiny, the bigger damage would be done from her fear of the hospital whacking her. Given that there were a few days between the call and her death, it's clear that she wasn't reassured of her position, and quite likely had been threatened.

As for deception, I'd like to compare this to a refund policy at a shop. A customer comes in without a receipt, and convinces the cashier to give them a refund even though it's store policy to have a receipt. The customer has no obligation to follow store policy, it is the cashier who should.
Original post by Hopple
As for deception, I'd like to compare this to a refund policy at a shop. A customer comes in without a receipt, and convinces the cashier to give them a refund even though it's store policy to have a receipt. The customer has no obligation to follow store policy, it is the cashier who should.
If you're going to make an analogy it should really include the customer providing the cashier with a piece of inked on toilet paper that the customer has tried to pass off as a receipt due to some drunken bet with their friends.
Reply 159
Original post by Llamageddon
If you're going to make an analogy it should really include the customer providing the cashier with a piece of inked on toilet paper that the customer has tried to pass off as a receipt due to some drunken bet with their friends.

No, because it was all verbal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending