The Student Room Group

Humanities Revision

I am taking Geography and R.S and Business (not really humanities - I know) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend ways that they revise for those subjects, apart from flash cards, notes, past papers and mind maps? Thanks :biggrin:
Might not be much help, but my revision tactic was always to memorise the material and then keep an eye out for current affairs and work out how the theory/topic could explain/critique the events.

I.e for RS, you might come across Utilitarianism (if you're at A level) and you could then start trying to apply to it to see if in practice it tends to condemn stuff you tend to think is bad, and support stuff that you tend to think of as good.

That way I always found you test to see if you really understand the theories, and at the same time can be flexible in applying the knowledge in case they chuck a curve ball at you in an exam :smile:
Reply 2
Here's how I got my As in history and philosophy at AS

3 months before exam
get textbook
copy out textbook, reading over past notes regularly.
do past papers 3 weeks or so before exam.
Thanks guys!
Original post by Professor Oak
Might not be much help, but my revision tactic was always to memorise the material

Good idea! How did you memorise the material though?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Post-it notes with key information are handy to have tacked up around your bedroom. Alternatively, put a question on the post-it, such as; "What causes and earthquake?" and every time you see it, answer it!

It's scientifically proven that the more times you go over the same thing, the stringer the link is created in your mind, therefore helping you to remember it - so, by either reading key information or answering important questions in your mind regularly, you'll strengthen that link, and it'll help you memorise the information.

Good luck with the exams! :smile:
Original post by Peaches & Cream
Post-it notes with key information are handy to have tacked up around your bedroom. Alternatively, put a question on the post-it, such as; "What causes and earthquake?" and every time you see it, answer it!

It's scientifically proven that the more times you go over the same thing, the stringer the link is created in your mind, therefore helping you to remember it - so, by either reading key information or answering important questions in your mind regularly, you'll strengthen that link, and it'll help you memorise the information.

Good luck with the exams! :smile:

Thanks! I thought about post it notes, but not about questions on them! Good idea! :biggrin:

Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
Thanks! I thought about post it notes, but not about questions on them! Good idea! :biggrin:

I know, I was always sceptical about post-its until I started putting questions on - it works waaay better, for me personally. I hope they help you! :biggrin:
Original post by Peaches & Cream
I know, I was always sceptical about post-its until I started putting questions on - it works waaay better, for me personally. I hope they help you! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! Good luck with revision!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending