The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out?

I've been at my uni 3 months, It's okay but not as good as I thought it was going to be. This is my insurance choice, I only just missed out on my firm and there's a massive difference in the standard of university between my firm and insurance choices, I got nervous and decided to really play it safe with my insurance. I kind of feel like I'm not going to live up to my full potential here, it's not a bad university, but the asking grades were quite low, they wanted UCAS points rather than specific grades and I already had all mine before I even took my exams in the Summer so I kind of feel like I didn't even have to work to get in and that I'm not being challenged as much as I could be. There's other reasons too, I've met some friends but don't feel very close to anyone for example.

The problem is, i don't want to leave education completely so I'd want to go to another university. The deadline for applying is the 15th of January but i don't think that's enough time for me to decide If i want to drop out or not. That's the day after i return from christmas, and i'm hoping things will get better when I come back. If i wait until the year is almost over and then apply will that be too late for all universities? I don't want to drop out, take a year out and then start again. If i'm doing this I want to jump straight back in, probably repeating the first year. Is it possible to apply for universities through UCAS now and see what offers I get (without dropping out first) and then decide at the end of the year whether to leave or not?

I'm very confused right now :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Sounds to me like you need to talk to your Personal tutor an/or a Student Counselor. There are all sorts of financial/emotional issues involved with dropping-out or restarting a degree somewhere else - and the practical logistics of reapplying. For instance - implications for Student Finance? Payment of fees for Halls/housing up to the end of the academic year Etc etc.

Your Personal Tutor is there to help you - they wont try and make you stay if you dont want to but they will be able to help you make the best decision and advise you about what to do next.
Reply 2
People at my uni were at 'lower' universities last year, dropped out half way through a year and are now here. It's not a big issue and I've heard of it before.

Why don't you tell TSR more details so a more fair response can be given. What uni you at now? Which do you want to go to? Reasons for wanting this change?

You should think about it over Christmas.
Reply 3
I'm at the university of west england Bristol now. I want to change pretty much for the reasons I said in my first post but have no idea what university I want to change to. I'm not even sure if there are many universities that are more 'prestigious' that i have high enough grades for. I got AABB at A level but one of the B's was in the subject I want to do.
You could always drop out now and try to get into a different uni through clearing? I know some of the best unis don't do it, but others do, e.g. Exeter, Nottingham... and clearing would give you some more time to decide which uni would be best for you :smile: What subject are you taking?
University is what you make it. However 'prestigious' a University is, your sense of achievement will be based on the amount of work you put in. There are no short cuts. And changing Uni will not change this. Ask yourself, why are you at University?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending