The Student Room Group

Census: from 2001-2011, Muslims have almost doubled from 1.5 million to 2.7 million

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah60000
Why do people always assume atheism and science go handed in hand, so people's atheism may have stemmed from science, but many people's don't - most are in the middle. Oh and their are those that believe in science and our theist...

Oh live and let live what Uganda chooses to do is their business, although, I strongly disagree with the new law, but feeling superior when we are not perfect ourselves is pretty self-righteous ans stuck-up...

The first bit is true, religious belief doesn't mean a person can't understand science or even have a good mind for it nor does atheism imply intelligence, but passing a law which makes homosexuality something for which a person can be sentenced to death is disgusting there is no excuse for that and to say live and let live in that context, you have to be joking. Just because it is in Africa doesn't mean you're being tolerant of them, not every African wants this, what you're doing is just moral cowardice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Stuff like this exist way before the mid 20th century - when ever there is a majority and minority you get this type of BS.

So there you have it, you've said it yourself in a round about way. Mixing different cultures together doesn't work. Inflicting multiculturalism on a settled, content society isn't a good thing.

Your analysis implies that it's the fault of stupid, petty people getting preoccupied on things that don't matter etc.

So knowing that "when ever there is a majority and minority you get this type of BS" why wouldn't you just accept that these tensions are inevitable human nature and lay the blame at the act of forcing different cultures to live cheek by jowel as the cause of social problems.

Not PC I guess, damn reality.
Original post by lonelyknight
it offers no benefits whatsoever to our country

Seriously?! That's quite a bold, unsubstantiated statement to make. Yes, you're entitled to your own opinion and if you think Muslims don't belong in this country then I won't argue as it would probably be a huge waste of both of our time, but to say that it offers no benefits to the UK is silly. There are many muslims who have lived here their entire life, work as teachers, doctors and lawyers and so on, pay their taxes and get on with their lives.

Also, there is no dress code in the UK. Whether you agree with the wearing of the scarf or not is your own opinion and I won't bother to change your mind, but there is no dress code here. And about the uniform thing...well some sikh's wear turbans...do you have a problem with that also.

Sometimes I wonder about TSR...
Reply 63
Yay us!!! Proud to be British :smile:
Original post by `Jts
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the western world, not just the UK...

It's because more and more people are converting to Islam. I myself was an atheist and I'm now a muslim.

Inb4 negs... lol

Out of curiosity, what made you convert? :smile:
Original post by hannah60000
Why do people always assume atheism and science go handed in hand, so people's atheism may have stemmed from science, but many people's don't - most are in the middle. Oh and their are those that believe in science and our theist...

Oh live and let live what Uganda chooses to do is their business, although, I strongly disagree with the new law, but feeling superior when we are not perfect ourselves is pretty self-righteous ans stuck-up...

Why have you assumed I am athiest? I guess we both make assumptions.

Live and let live BAH
Not when innocent people are being murdered for ****ed up reasons. Uganda is showing how morally backward they are and they deserve our hatred for the laws that are almost being passed and the ones that have.
If you want to join them in the glory era of christianity back in medieval times then be my guest. Europe is moving forward you might want to take them steps back thats fine by us.
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Typically islamists and terrorists have been grromed within the mosque, so i dont beleive that for a second. the mosque is the recrutiing ground for extremists. The police got very little help in tracking down info about the 7/7 bombers and the later attempt from local communities and the mosque which was well documented.

th epoin tis the radicalized muslims are all influenced by quotes from hadith and the Qur'an, whcih is basically, islam in entirety. But no muslim will comment on this point. There is no doubt there are influenced by islam - all muslims take Islam far too seriously whether they are being radicalised or discussing a subject on TSR.

- The mosque is not a recruiting ground for extremists you dumb ass its a place of worship.

- You seem to be such an expert show me the sources of were you got this piece of information from.

- The Quotes taken from the Quran and Sunnah were mostly likely out taken of context.
(edited 11 years ago)
A lot of it is due to the amount of Muslims that emigrate to this country, in fact, I'd say that's where most of these new statistics derive from.
Reply 68
Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot
Out of curiosity, what made you convert? :smile:

When I was 6, my parents converted. So I've been muslim most of my life :smile:
Original post by `Jts
When I was 6, my parents converted. So I've been muslim most of my life :smile:

Oh right, that's cool. Sorry, I'm just nosey :biggrin:
Original post by de_monies
This. Also, when society pushes it's blames on you, it expects you not to feel isolated, and to accept it and just get on with it. If you're being victimised quite often by society, understandably people of that demographic are going to be more likely to isolate themselves.

Notice how pre 1930's, the ghettos of the UK were inhabited by the Jews, and notice the shift in culture after WW2, when society was less scape-goaty about Jews, and Jews moved out of the ghettos and are now in all social classes

This is pretty much the same situation we have with Muslim and Black people today (Be they Muslim or not Muslim)

Personally, I can see through the media, and know some very nice people, but when you see publications like the DM publishing things such as "Muslim x does y z" when if a Christian or a Jew or an Atheist etc.. were to do the same thing, this would not be mentioned

Or how in the DM, when they do mention a Muslim's religion for a good thing, there is outrage in the comments about mentioning why their religion is mentioned, but those same people don't proclaim the same anger when the DM publishes a "bad" story

Load of tosh.
(edited 11 years ago)
All this media 'are hating on islam' is another falae racism technique of hysteria and race card playing. Always spreading fabrications about Discrimination time and time again. Mark Clattenburg anyone...lol. They just get special treatment.
Original post by Perseveranze
IF you say so. Even if what you said was truth (which I know isn't), this is based on your experience in a smaller environment.

The stats/study is based on a wider scale.

your either a troll or simply blindly ignorant. THe first is pathetic, the latter foolish and moronic.

Original post by sissoko46
Lol have you been seeing any yourself? "£20 to not cover it up" this statement makes it look as though you are well informed on the prices these prostitutes charge.

I am (well was i dont work there now) - but not the reasons you insinuate. Working with the NHS GUM clinic we worked within many sectors, general public, healthy gay life, sex workers, adult film stars and cases of sexual abuse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by United4prem
Load of tosh.

Prove it. You made the claim. The burden of proof is on you
Original post by de_monies
Prove it. You made the claim. The burden of proof is on you

I will.

delusion.
Reply 75
Original post by Demise
Source.

With all the fuss about the decline in those who identify as 'Christian' and the large rise in those with 'no religion', there has been less focus on the fact that Muslims have been the largest growing religion in England and Wales, rising from 3.0 per cent in 2001 to 4.8 per cent in 2011. Islam seems to have prospered through this growing trend of having no religion.

Why do you think this is? Immigration? Births into Muslim families? Conversions?

What effect do you think this will have?

And will this be a consistent rise every ten years or do you think it is foolish to predict religious demographics?

Atheism rose at 10% compared to 1.8% for Muslims so i certainly see no real danger especially because there will be a core who will remain christian.
Reply 76
"To you be your way, and to me be mine." Peace.
Reply 77
Original post by silverbolt
your either a troll or simply blindly ignorant. THe first is pathetic, the latter foolish and moronic.

I am (well was i dont work there now) - but not the reasons you insinuate. Working with the NHS GUM clinic we worked within many sectors, general public, healthy gay life, sex workers, adult film stars and cases of sexual abuse.

I am sorry but no way would these sex workers discuss their fees with a non-customer. So then how many prostitutes have you been with lately?
Original post by Tycho
Look at historic census figures and what you find is the largest rise relates to atheism non-religion.

Science is killing religion. How ironic and fantastic! :u:

Fixed.

Most are generally apathetic about religion and/or the existence of God or aren't willing to explore the idea one way or another for fear of tackling issues of identities (perhaps because of older relatives who still adhere to a religion they don't). In any case, I don't think we're seeing a generation of strict Dawkins-style atheists, but rather non-religious folk who'd identify under a number of banners like atheism, agnosticism and even CofE/Judaism.
Reply 79
Original post by Aj12
Most of the birth rate will be driven by first generation immigrant families, that's the main reason Islamic populations rise so fast, people aren't converting they are just being born into the religion. Those living in the UK will likely fall in with UK cultural norms, so less children, less Islamic growth each generation. And as someone above pointed out they are now 4.8% of the population, hardly about to take over.

Studies often show 2nd generation mulsims are often more devout than their parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending