The Student Room Group

Can't concentrate until late at night..

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else works like this?

From the moment I wake up at 7am till about 10pm I just copy facts down in class, not really taking it in. Then do some general admin work all day with notes etc, it's not until late at night that my brain really kicks in! Don't know if this is good or bad, anyone got any tips how to perhaps get the brain going during the day (I sleep between 5-8 hours a night)?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I know the feeling exactly! I've tried waking up early every day, and going to sleep earlier, but it doesn't work - I just love the time around 11-12pm, when it's really calm and I can concentrate so well.

It must be a bad thing, but I don't know how to get around it. 5-8 hours is healthy, btw :smile:
Reply 2
I went through university like this and came out with a first, it works for some people. Apparently it has something to with the drop in temperature and background noise. It's supposedly a noted pattern in many students/young people.

I'd give you sources for this but I believe I actually first read this in a textbook somewhere in the library... at night time of course.

One thing I noticed is that facebook becomes less of a distraction as it's boring during the night, no one's saying anything!
Reply 3
Original post by Fuzzpig
I went through university like this and came out with a first, it works for some people. Apparently it has something to with the drop in temperature and background noise. It's supposedly a noted pattern in many students/young people.

I'd give you sources for this but I believe I actually first read this in a textbook somewhere in the library... at night time of course.

One thing I noticed is that facebook becomes less of a distraction as it's boring during the night, no one's saying anything!

true

but I play music.

I'm a true nightowl
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
true

but I play music.

I'm a true nightowl

And you're STILL ripping off my avatar :hand:
Reply 5
Original post by Fuzzpig
And you're STILL ripping off my avatar :hand:

hardly
Reply 6
This is me. I think every piece of English Literature coursework I've done (and got a high grade on) has been completed at about 3am. There's just too many distractions to work at more reasonable hours :tongue:
Reply 7
I feel your pain, OP. I love studying from 11pm till like 4/5 in the morning - god knows why!

When I was a young teenager I used to stay up, have a nap from 1am to about 2 just so I could tidy up my room and finish homework.

o_o Somebody tell me why.
I reckon you'd be taking more information in than you think! :wink:

Anyway I find that citrusy juice helps with concentration and basically eating a healthier diet with more fruit + vegetables x
I'm exactly the same I'm pretty sure if exams were on at night I'd do so much better. Even with assignments I can't do them until the evening.
Reply 10
I have found that 6-12pm is my ideal window for productivity. Not quite sure as to why this is though, maybe there's just less commotion going on.
Reply 11
Omg same here, I can only revise at night like before I go to bed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
... And I thought I was the only one!
Reply 13
I do the same thing.
My most productive time is around 11pm-3/4 in morning... I then have to force myself to sleep
Reply 14
Yeah exactly the same.
Been putting off my chemistry work all day.
Just started it about an hour ago and got it all done :smile:
Reply 15
Same here =L I think it's something to do with it being last minute as well.. When I do my work at night it's usually cos I've felt braindead all day so it means I actually have to get off my lazy arse and do it =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Az_016
... And I thought I was the only one!

Same here, I am quite surprised that so many people can only study at night like me. At first I thought I was the only one that was like that.
Reply 17
I've always been the same, can't concentrate until 11pm at night. I do my best work from 11pm to 4am.

Guess what? I recently found out there is a night owl gene called the AFH gene! It was first found in mice. People have it too. People with this gene will be night owls, and will concentrate better at night than people without the gene.

Its so good to know WHY I've always been like this. One mention of this gene is at the following link:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070510120713.htm

Hope this is of interest to you guys,

Cheers,
Heppo
Reply 18
Original post by suncake
This is me. I think every piece of English Literature coursework I've done (and got a high grade on) has been completed at about 3am. There's just too many distractions to work at more reasonable hours :tongue:

I feel so much better that I am not the only one :wink:
Reply 19
I always work at silly o'clock, too. A habit that has never left me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending