The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 Element of the Gothic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by eliza.anne
I did this exam last year and must admit I found it a breeze compared to AS oddly enough! I got a A* for the exam I think, or a high A, I forget now. I studied Dracula, Macebth and The Bloody Chambers, I learned about 10 quotes from each book. Teacher tried to make me do Faustus, I can 100% guarantee I would have failed if I'd done Faustus over Bloody Chambers. If anyone has any questions I don't mind helping in any way I can :smile: good luck to all with your exam anyway! :smile:

Hello :smile: I'm doing the exam in June and was just wondering, for Bloody Chamber did you learn quotes from particular stories and then just not bother with others? So confused about what we're supposed to do when revising it! Thank you ! :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by isadev
Hello :smile: I'm doing the exam in June and was just wondering, for Bloody Chamber did you learn quotes from particular stories and then just not bother with others? So confused about what we're supposed to do when revising it! Thank you ! :smile:

I read the whole book but chose 3 stories and purely focused on them :smile: I chose the bloody chamber, the lady of the house of love and the company of wolves :smile: they're all very similar and you can relate them to any question really. Just focus on three and learn about 10 quotes from each :smile: it would be way too difficult focusing on them all!
Reply 82
I read the whole book but chose 3 stories and purely focused on them :smile: I chose the bloody chamber, the lady of the house of love and the company of wolves :smile: they're all very similar and you can relate them to any question really. Just focus on three and learn about 10 quotes from each :smile: it would be way too difficult focusing on them all!

hi wow i wish i could get that i was just wondering if you still had the quotes you chose i would love to see which ones you chose :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by aisha0207
hi wow i wish i could get that i was just wondering if you still had the quotes you chose i would love to see which ones you chose :smile:

Funnily enough I'm going to be sorting through my old papers today - I should have them lying around I think! If I do find them I'll send them to you via PM :smile: are you doing those short stories?
Reply 84

Ah thank you thats useful to know :smile: Yeah was dreading trying to learn quotes from all the stories haha! Would you mind sending me the quotes on PM too if you find them?
Reply 85
Original post by isadev
Ah thank you thats useful to know :smile: Yeah was dreading trying to learn quotes from all the stories haha! Would you mind sending me the quotes on PM too if you find them?

If I find them I shall definitely send you them! Apologies in advance if I can't :-)
Reply 86
If I find them I shall definitely send you them! Apologies in advance if I can't :-)

Thank you very much! no worries if not :smile:
Hey! I currently do Wuthering Heights, Faustus and Frankenstein. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get an A* for Eng lit? I'll be doing my exam in June :smile:
Many thanks!
Reply 88
Can someone post the questionsfrom the Jan 2013 paper for: Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber for Section A, and the three Gothic questions for section B. Thanks
Reply 89
Original post by ILoveTehran
Hey! I currently do Wuthering Heights, Faustus and Frankenstein. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get an A* for Eng lit? I'll be doing my exam in June :smile:
Many thanks!

Hey, I didn't do those 3 books personally but I've read all three and I'd generally advise that you re-read them all a few times firstly. Learn AT LEAST 10 quotes from each, but get quotes for particular themes e.g some quotes focused on setting, some for religion, sexuality, character descriptions, gothic elements (obviously), horror and so on. Read up about the authors and the time the literature was written, contextual factors etc. It's a shame you're not doing Bloody Chambers as you could have focused on strong female novelists then, but you still can to an extent. I hated Faustus thus why I changed to Bloody Chamber, lol.

Anyway good luck! I think I got an A* in the exam or at least a very high A, I'm not too sure now :-) hope I've been of some help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zakkaz
Can someone post the questionsfrom the Jan 2013 paper for: Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber for Section A, and the three Gothic questions for section B. Thanks

Hey, I can't help with all of them but the ones I remember I think (Someone please adjust wording/ add the third B that I've missed off... I just put to what extent at the start as I can't remember exact wording!) :smile: :

A. To what extent is fear explored in Wuthering Heights?
A. To what extent does The Bloody Chamber explore dark humour?

B. To what extent does gothic genre explore entrapment?
B. To what extent does gothic genre explore significance of places?
Hey, I didn't do those 3 books personally but I've read all three and I'd generally advise that you re-read them all a few times firstly. Learn AT LEAST 10 quotes from each, but get quotes for particular themes e.g some quotes focused on setting, some for religion, sexuality, character descriptions, gothic elements (obviously), horror and so on. Read up about the authors and the time the literature was written, contextual factors etc. It's a shame you're not doing Bloody Chambers as you could have focused on strong female novelists then, but you still can to an extent. I hated Faustus thus why I changed to Bloody Chamber, lol.

Anyway good luck! I think I got an A* in the exam or at least a very high A, I'm not too sure now :-) hope I've been of some help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, that was great help :smile:
Reply 92
Thank you so much, that was great help :smile:

You're welcome! Good luck :smile:
Original post by feelinginfinite
Hey, I can't help with all of them but the ones I remember I think (Someone please adjust wording/ add the third B that I've missed off... I just put to what extent at the start as I can't remember exact wording!) :smile: :

A. To what extent is fear explored in Wuthering Heights?
A. To what extent does The Bloody Chamber explore dark humour?

B. To what extent does gothic genre explore entrapment?
B. To what extent does gothic genre explore significance of places?

Thank you for posting those! :biggrin: Argh I really like the Section B ones the one about entrapment would be my ideal question :/

I personally would have hated the two A ones though, well I guess the Wuthering Heights one is quite good, but I would've definitely gone for the Dr. Faustus question :tongue:
Original post by Morgasm19
Thank you for posting those! :biggrin: Argh I really like the Section B ones the one about entrapment would be my ideal question :/

I personally would have hated the two A ones though, well I guess the Wuthering Heights one is quite good, but I would've definitely gone for the Dr. Faustus question :tongue:

I agree, section B looks good but how would you discuss Entrapment in Doctor Faustus and Frankenstein?

No problem! I also hated the section A questions. I went for TBC, but we didn't study Puss in Boots, which was apparently filled with dark humour, so I'm dreading results day.

Section B on entrapment was really good, that's the one I went for (and most people in my class did too). I didn't study Dr. Faustus so can't help you with that unfortunately :smile:
Reply 96
I'm taking my exam for litb3 in june also, we're studying macbeth, the bloody chamber and northanger abbey. To memorise quotes from each book i just write them down on post it notes and stick them round my monitior. It's simple but really helps!

Original post by feelinginfinite
No problem! I also hated the section A questions. I went for TBC, but we didn't study Puss in Boots, which was apparently filled with dark humour, so I'm dreading results day.

Section B on entrapment was really good, that's the one I went for (and most people in my class did too). I didn't study Dr. Faustus so can't help you with that unfortunately :smile:

We read Puss in Boots, and yeah it doesn't really fit into the rest of the short stories - it's mainly filled with Puss and the man's sexual conquests.
Can someone please post the question of Jan 2013 for Frankenstein Part a, and Faustus part a. Also, the three section B will be much appreciated as well!
I agree, section B looks good but how would you discuss Entrapment in Doctor Faustus and Frankenstein?

I'm afraid I'm not doing Frankenstein :frown:

Actually for Doctor Faustus entrapment is quite difficult aha, I would talk about the idea of pre-destination in Calvinism, how Faustus is trapped within a certain inexorable fate, possibly how Mephistopheles ensnares Faustus?
I'm afraid I'm not doing Frankenstein :frown:

Actually for Doctor Faustus entrapment is quite difficult aha, I would talk about the idea of pre-destination in Calvinism, how Faustus is trapped within a certain inexorable fate, possibly how Mephistopheles ensnares Faustus?

Thanks! How many quotes are you going to learn for Faustus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending