The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickenonsteroids
I don't know whether this is just me, but this whole process is just making me doubt whether I'd want to go to Cambridge at all. It's just elucidating all of the negatives of Cambridge philosophy (the course not their philosophy) instead of the positives. It isn't making me want an offer even more as I'd just feel relieved at this point. However, this could change based on the news I get.

I wish they'd just have a set date when they'd give out offers so we can actually expect something then, instead of hoping for something all the time.

Exactly! I'm sure that, if I do get an offer, I'll be incredibly happy, but right now the principal mood (I think for a lot of people) is frustration - knowing you're good enough for Cambridge, but just missing out on an offer; I bet everyone is partially wondering "why me??!"

Then, of course, the wait... I'm sure there's a (good enough) reason for them to make us wait in increasingly excruciating anxiety, but I sure as hell can't see the logic in it right now :frown:
Original post by chocoholic_x
Oh really? :smile: My average UMS is the same as yours! Maybe there's still hope for me yet (as long as they ignore my horrendous interview performance).

Oh and congratulations by the way, even if I quite envious. :tongue:

Well you got such a high mark for psychology! That's really something. ;o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1982
I don't know whether this is just me, but this whole process is just making me doubt whether I'd want to go to Cambridge at all. It's just elucidating all of the negatives of Cambridge philosophy (the course not their philosophy) instead of the positives. It isn't making me want an offer even more as I'd just feel relieved at this point. However, this could change based on the news I get.

I wish they'd just have a set date when they'd give out offers so we can actually expect something then, instead of hoping for something all the time.

This whole process does exude a sort of arrogance on their part, I mean could you imagine any other university getting away with a similar process (Oxford aside)? Still, I suppose it is Cambridge.
Reply 1983
How many people that we know of have been pooled for Law? My confidence is extremely low on getting a call or email, but it sucks because I've still got my fingers crossed in a desperate hope. This is horrible, i'm a person not a piece of paper with numbers on.
Does the number of applicants have any bearing on how many pool offers there are? There seems to be an inverse correlation between number of applicants and offers through the winter pool for medicine.
Original post by Bord3r
This whole process does exude a sort of arrogance on their part, I mean could you imagine any other university getting away with a similar process (Oxford aside)? Still, I suppose it is Cambridge.

Very true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oromis263
There is no auto-pooling for international candidates.

I did not know that...:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree.
Starting to drown.......
Original post by nickyr212
I did not know that...:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore me, there is no auto-pooling on the basis of existing grades, but there is depending on interview scores! :smile:
Cambridge are giving the fishes a reason to swim away to a friendlier river.
Original post by Atropos
i have 98% in maths and average 91% in the other 3 subjects (further maths, physics and computing) and I'm doing as additional further maths now (but I've only started this year) what about you ?

pooled by trinity college

97% full maths alevel, and ~93% across 3 most relevant..

I'm pooled from johns, hope the fact we're pooled from larger colleges makes a difference...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Bord3r

Whyever not? At Durham there is a "pool" as well where your application is passed to another college if your preference one doesn't have enough spaces available. But they don't tell you you were actually in that pool until the final decision arrives, when you find out you've moved college.

I guess Cambridge could just postpone telling everyone their decisions until the pool has been resolved. It would save the anxiety but it would be much less transparent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1993
One thing that is keeping my hopes up is that only about 8 colleges in this thread have been fishing(some of them being women only), I'm guessing more of direct offers/rejections will start tomorrow
Original post by sjk1995
How many people that we know of have been pooled for Law? My confidence is extremely low on getting a call or email, but it sucks because I've still got my fingers crossed in a desperate hope. This is horrible, i'm a person not a piece of paper with numbers on.

Join the club.

1 direct offer and 1 interview have been given to law poolees so far.

This so much

what's your 2nd choice amigo?
Original post by ukdragon37
Whyever not? At Durham there is a "pool" as well where your application is passed to another college if your preference one doesn't have enough spaces available. But they don't tell you you were actually in that pool until the final decision arrives, when you find out you've moved college.

I guess Cambridge could just postpone telling everyone their decisions until the pool has been resolved. It would save the anxiety but it would be much less transparent.

Ah but at Durham the department chooses who is getting an offer, and then the people getting offers are pooled to find a college for them. So the pooling has nothing to do with whether you get an offer or not.
Reply 1997
people say you've got a good chance, 1/4 ish, but, looking at it, I have to beat 3 other applicants who are to the standard of Cambridge also... *puts head in hands*. JUST REJECT ME ALREADY
It's gotten to the point where I want to be fished purely so I won't have to cope with not being good enough to get in.
Reply 1999
Maths applicant here, anyone heard anything?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending