The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4800
Original post by Minerva
Yes, but on the other hand 1 in 5 Maths offers last year went to poolees, and they generally over-offer to a higher degree because of the STEP requirements. So you just can't tell. Girton is also a college that does a fair bit of fishing, so may be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting and/or awaiting the outcome of any interviews, all of which builds in delay.

Yes that's what I thought....I guess im just holding onto any little hope I have left...I guess all I can do now is wait for them to reply...looking through last year's pooling thread most people heard from Girton after the 14th so I gues ill just have to wait :/
Reply 4801
Thank you Minerva! Appreciate your suggestions.
Original post by Minerva
Yes, but on the other hand 1 in 5 Maths offers last year went to poolees, and they generally over-offer to a higher degree because of the STEP requirements. So you just can't tell. Girton is also a college that does a fair bit of fishing, so may be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting and/or awaiting the outcome of any interviews, all of which builds in delay.

sorry I really do not understand.... what comparing and contrasting can be done at tbis stage?
Reply 4803
Original post by Question Mark
sorry I really do not understand.... what comparing and contrasting can be done at tbis stage?
Between people they may have kept on their own reserve list, or marked as B (see earlier discussion yesterday about this) and/or the interviewees.
Original post by Minerva
Between people they may have kept on their own reserve list, or marked as B (see earlier discussion yesterday about this) and/or the interviewees.

sorry we have already established that preference colleges cannot mark a B st this stage. they have to offer, interview or reject. I do not see what preference list they can have?
Reply 4805
Rejected at last, was pooled by Christ's for Philosophy
Another parent here...

Minerva - another one for your stats if you want to include my son (not posting separately). PhyNatSci - pooled by Trinity, fished and reinterviewed today by Robinson.

Decided on the way the home in that car that he is now suspended in a quantum state with probability wave function that can only be collapsed when he opens his envelope or email sometime next week. One for the PhyNatSci fish there - sad I know but got to keep spirits up.

On a serious note, wanting to know how long we might have to wait for an outcome from this stage of the never ending saga I looked at last years 2012 pool thread.

With interviews Thurs-Sat 2012 too the thread seemed to suggest no notifications at all over the weekend and that those waiting should not expect to receive anything in the post until Weds (or possibly Tues at absolute soonest). This is based on last year but might help settle those waiting over the weekend. After the flurry of calls/emails for interviews last weekend, there may be an unrealistic expectation of calls/emails sooner.

I'd say recent history suggests a quiet weekend, offer decisions being made on Monday and posted out approx Tues for the majority of those who get them. Might help those who need to get on with the business of revising for the all important exams to not be watching the emails and phone all weekend.

Minerva - would you broadly agree with that assessment?

Good luck to all those still waiting, whether from reinterviews or still waiting to hear from the general pool.
Reply 4807
sorry we have already established that preference colleges cannot mark a B st this stage. they have to offer, interview or reject. I do not see what preference list they can have?
Preference colleges can still keep their own applicants on ice if no-one else has picked them up (though this is likely to be relatively rare); a college can also have a B applicant - who will have been pooled by another college - on hold for each subject if they choose. It's only if an applicant attracts attention from more than one college during the Pool that a decision is 'forced' in the way you describe.
Original post by JimJohnnyJones
X

Aren't you the guy who posted saying you had just been notified of being given 3 interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4809
Original post by stalkingparent
Another parent here...

Minerva - another one for your stats if you want to include my son (not posting separately). PhyNatSci - pooled by Trinity, fished and reinterviewed today by Robinson.

Decided on the way the home in that car that he is now suspended in a quantum state with probability wave function that can only be collapsed when he opens his envelope or email sometime next week. One for the PhyNatSci fish there - sad I know but got to keep spirits up.

On a serious note, wanting to know how long we might have to wait for an outcome from this stage of the never ending saga I looked at last years 2012 pool thread.

With interviews Thurs-Sat 2012 too the thread seemed to suggest no notifications at all over the weekend and that those waiting should not expect to receive anything in the post until Weds (or possibly Tues at absolute soonest). This is based on last year but might help settle those waiting over the weekend. After the flurry of calls/emails for interviews last weekend, there may be an unrealistic expectation of calls/emails sooner.

I'd say recent history suggests a quiet weekend, offer decisions being made on Monday and posted out approx Tues for the majority of those who get them. Might help those who need to get on with the business of revising for the all important exams to not be watching the emails and phone all weekend.

Minerva - would you broadly agree with that assessment?

Good luck to all those still waiting, whether from reinterviews or still waiting to hear from the general pool.
Yes, I would, especially as some of the interviews don't happen until tomorrow anyway. The fishing colleges will be pretty busy and will probably want to take stock on Monday rather than rush things over the weekend.
Original post by Minerva
Preference colleges can still keep their own applicants on ice if no-one else has picked them up (though this is likely to be relatively rare); a college can also have a B applicant - who will have been pooled by another college - on hold for each subject if they choose. It's only if an applicant attracts attention from more than one college during the Pool that a decision is 'forced' in the way you describe.

realistically why would a college keep some one thst they have pooled and who was not picked up by anyone. surley if the spplicant had decent interview reference they would be picked up by others. if the preference college liked the candidate they would have offered or at least reinterviewed?

I seemed to remember the B ststus wad really used for people who could not be reinterviewed.

the process the college's run appears to me to force them to make decisions otherwise this vould run until August!

if thr number of B is very small as you suggest then you really should not raise it as it only gets hopes up.

sorry for the typos as I writing on the phone
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4811
Original post by jqian
Just sent an e-mail to Robinson, really cannot be asked to wait any longer, just want the news now.

Let us know if you receive a reply please.
Reply 4812
realistically why would a college keep some one thst they have pooled and who was not picked up by anyone. surley if the spplicant had decent interview reference they would be picked up by others. if the preference college liked the candidate they would have offered or at least reinterviewed?
but these applicants are the ones with strong applications who did not need reassessment. I'm not saying it happens often, but my experience in this thread over a number of years now suggests that it does occasionally.

I seemed to remember the B ststus wad really used for people who could not be reinterviewed.
No, would not be re-interviewed.

the process the college's run appears to me to force them to make decisions otherwise this vould run until August!
Indeed it does, but the absolute deadline for decisions isn't for a while yet.

if thr number of B is very small as you suggest then you really should not raise it as it only gets hopes up.

sorry for the typos as I writing on the phone
I am emphasising the small numbers involved and relative rarity of this, but to say it doesn't happen at all would be as wrong as it would be to give the impression that each college has dozens of such cases. In practice it's a small number across the entire university, and those cases will be found in the fishing colleges, given that the colleges that aren't fishing have already filled their spaces.
This is my revised version of before because when I last posted I was a bit emotional aha anyway..

Today I drowned. I applied for geography at Jesus with a ums average of 94%.. Probably auto pooled as interviews didn't go well.

I just want to thank Minerva... You've helped to keep me and the fellow fish sane... And I thank you for that. This thread has been addictive but all the same comforting. It's reassuring to see my faith in humanity is restored after all the loveliness everyone has given.

Congrats to those who have offers.. Really well done. And to all of us who have drowned... T H E I R L O S S!! Anyway I wish you all good luck for the future. We came so far so it's an achievement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4814
Original post by 06waraujol
This is my revised version of before because when I last posted I was a bit emotional aha anyway..

Today I drowned. I applied for geography at Jesus with a ums average of 94%.. Probably auto pooled as interviews didn't go well.

I just want to thank Minerva... You've helped to keep me and the fellow fish sane... And I thank you for that. This thread has been addictive but all the same comforting. It's reassuring to see my faith in humanity is restored after all the loveliness everyone has given.

Congrats to those who have offers.. Really well done. And to all of us who have drowned... T H E I R L O S S!! Anyway I wish you all good luck for the future. We came so far so it's an achievement!
Indeed it is :smile:

Glad the thread has helped -
Reply 4815
(if this works), I hope it cheers you all up:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4060075429353
Original post by Minerva
but these applicants are the ones with strong applications who did not need reassessment. I'm not saying it happens often, but my experience in this thread over a number of years now suggests that it does occasionally.

No, would not be re-interviewed.

Indeed it does, but the absolute deadline for decisions isn't for a while yet.

I am emphasising the small numbers involved and relative rarity of this, but to say it doesn't happen at all would be as wrong as it would be to give the impression that each college has dozens of such cases. In practice it's a small number across the entire university, and those cases will be found in the fishing colleges, given that the colleges that aren't fishing have already filled their spaces.

ok. so realistically we are talking about a handful of people who have applied to the serial fishing colleges who were not considered good enough to get an offer from their fishing college and also have not been picked up anyone else.

I would respectfully suggest that we are talking about 1 or 2 people over several years ... unless you have numbers that suggest otherwise?
Reply 4817
ok. so realistically we are talking about a handful of people who have applied to the serial fishing colleges who were not considered good enough to get an offer from their fishing college and also have not been picked up anyone else.

I would respectfully suggest that we are talking about 1 or 2 people over several years ... unless you have numbers that suggest otherwise?
Colleges do pool people who are 'good enough'. The issue is assessing relative strength of applications, which is one of the things the Pool is supposed to facilitate.

I agree we are talking small numbers overall; historically TSR has had two or three cases a year that are likely to have been in this group; if TSR is typical of the overall cohort and presents 10% of same, then that is perhaps 30 or so across the fishing colleges - though we don't know which and for what subjects. Until we have the final figures all round, we can't tell if the TSR cohort this year is similar to the overall Cambridge cohort, as it has been in previous years. As I've said above, there are some indications that this year's cohort may not be typical. As the re-interview numbers are right down, it could - just possibly- mean that a few more direct offers are in the pipeline than would usually be the case at this stage, assuming that the offer rate overall for pooled applicants in previous years applies this year, and to the TSR cohort just as the Cambridge cohort.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying - it ain't over till it's over. Some people can be expected to get offers over the next few days but we can't say for which subjects or from which colleges, or how many there will be.
Reply 4818
Original post by spacemenrule94
Found out via UCAS Track that the other colleges let me drown for HSPS, and Downing didn't take me back, so I guess this is goodbye for now, kids.

The last week waiting in the pool was made so much more bearable by the rest of you fish in a similar state of limbo posting on this thread, so thank you.

As for me, I'm now coming to a university near you! (If you're going to Edinburgh, Leeds, Glasgow or Bath....)

So, final words (this feels like the opposite of an Oscar acceptance speech, on dear):

To those who drowned in the pool, we had a good run. Cambridge wouldn't have put us there if we didn't have a chance of getting a place. We're going on to bigger and better things, I promise you.

To those who are still waiting, don't lose hope. There's every chance you might get in, and if you do, I'll be cheering for you from my slightly-less-prestigious-but-nonetheless-fantastic university :smile:

Until we meet again
Spacemenrule94 x

I am SO SO sorry, meant to rep you but negged you by accident as I'm on my phone and the keys are tiny :frown: :frown:
Minerva, do you have any idea when post interview poolees receive their result? I had my interview yesterday so just wondering how much longer I will have to wait. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending