The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE100

Hi - what do people think about this? Not sure I want the extra lecture time. Do other unis do this too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hahahhahahah the biggest joke of a course ever. No one I know takes it seriously, even as the exam approaches. Everyone I have talked to is only revising enough for a pass. Should tell you what it's like.

Hah don't even worry about the lecture time, no one ever goes because you'll realize it's boring and a waste of your time. Just pick up the slides before class. I didn't even bother doing that and just showed up having done the readings and was more prepared than half the people in my class.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by avash27
Hahahhahahah the biggest joke of a course ever. No one I know takes it seriously, even as the exam approaches. Everyone I have talked to is only revising enough for a pass. Should tell you what it's like.

Hah don't even worry about the lecture time, no one ever goes because you'll realize it's boring and a waste of your time. Just pick up the slides before class. I didn't even bother doing that and just showed up having done the readings and was more prepared than half the people in my class.

Surely they put the slides on Moodle, or this is their way of increasing lecture turnout?

Thanks,
RJ
Reply 3
Original post by rupertj
Surely they put the slides on Moodle, or this is their way of increasing lecture turnout?

Thanks,
RJ

Nope the slides are not on Moodle. I asked my teacher why, and he said he doesn't know why they aren't doing it.
Reply 4
Original post by avash27
Nope the slides are not on Moodle. I asked my teacher why, and he said he doesn't know why they aren't doing it.

Cool, thanks for the swift response.

Can LSE100 in any way be academically interesting, if you want it to be, or is it bound to be as dull as I hear?
Reply 5
Original post by rupertj
Cool, thanks for the swift response.

Can LSE100 in any way be academically interesting, if you want it to be, or is it bound to be as dull as I hear?

Sure if you want to really try your best it can be academically interesting. I just wasn't interested in any of the modules except the Cold War one so I hardly took it seriously. You only need a pass so I wasn't going to waste time on something that doesn't count towards my degree. The lectures are presented in an extremely boring way, the classes are not stimulating, and the assessments are a waste of time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by avash27
Sure if you want to really try your best it can be academically interesting. I just wasn't interested in any of the modules except the Cold War one so I hardly took it seriously. You only need a pass so I wasn't going to waste time on something that doesn't count towards my degree. The lectures are presented in an extremely boring way, the classes are not stimulating, and the assessments are a waste of time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Typical of my degree, sadly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Gosh, LSE100 was such a waste. Absolutely hated the course. It was hardly challenging and the manner of doing well had everything to do with essay structuring and format and little to nothing to do with what you actually knew and understood.

I lost all respect for the course after my 1st assessment. I got a Merit on it and when I asked my teacher where I went wrong, she told me that the content in my essay was Distinction-worthy, but I didn't paragraph it appropriately and my citations were "clunky" in the footnotes.
Reply 8
Original post by arrowhead
Gosh, LSE100 was such a waste. Absolutely hated the course. It was hardly challenging and the manner of doing well had everything to do with essay structuring and format and little to nothing to do with what you actually knew and understood.

I lost all respect for the course after my 1st assessment. I got a Merit on it and when I asked my teacher where I went wrong, she told me that the content in my essay was Distinction-worthy, but I didn't paragraph it appropriately and my citations were "clunky" in the footnotes.

My teacher in lent term wrote on LSEForYou that I would've performed better if I'd showed up to class more often.

I missed one class. And that's because I was ill. :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by avash27

Do they record the lectures? And slides available before class time? Not lecture time right?
Reply 10
Original post by Pauly
Do they record the lectures? And slides available before class time? Not lecture time right?

Yeah lectures are recorded. You get the slides at the lectures, but if you miss them you go to the LSE 100 office in Kingsway and pick them up before your class/whenever you want.
Reply 11
Thanks everyone! Sounds like i shouldn't really pay much attention to it and just decide where I want to go!
Reply 12
By the way, how is everyone revising for the exam on Friday? Just going over lecture readings? I don't have any lecture slides from last year filled in!
Reply 13
Original post by mysongbook
By the way, how is everyone revising for the exam on Friday? Just going over lecture readings? I don't have any lecture slides from last year filled in!

Hah revision. I've skimmed the readings and am going to attempt to memorize a couple names from each module to quote in the answers.
Reply 14
Original post by avash27
Hah revision. I've skimmed the readings and am going to attempt to memorize a couple names from each module to quote in the answers.

That's exactly my plan, I'm only focusing on 4 modules and hoping that'll be okay. I don't even have lecture slides for most of them!
Reply 15
Original post by mysongbook
That's exactly my plan, I'm only focusing on 4 modules and hoping that'll be okay. I don't even have lecture slides for most of them!

Hahahh same. I have like one set of lecture slides for each module. Whatever. I'm sure if we walked in now we could easily get a pass, so I'm not too bothered about revising that much.
Reply 16
Original post by avash27
Hahahh same. I have like one set of lecture slides for each module. Whatever. I'm sure if we walked in now we could easily get a pass, so I'm not too bothered about revising that much.

Why couldn't they have just examined us through courseworks and class essays! On top of that we have to study for a stupid exam!
Reply 17
Should I kinda break the exam for you guys? Cause I'm pretty sure I can predict the questions for Friday =P this is based on the questions from last 2 years
Reply 18
Original post by WeiChin
Should I kinda break the exam for you guys? Cause I'm pretty sure I can predict the questions for Friday =P this is based on the questions from last 2 years

please go ahead! :smile:
Reply 19
Section A: First 7 questions are about each of the topic from LSE100, namely poverty, climate change, culture, cold war, financial crisis, population growth and ideas with poverty most likely being a variation on measures of poverty. 8th question would be something along the lines of read the readings below and criticize the justifications/sources made/used.
Section B: First 3 questions basically pair up the 6 topics(not including poverty) in the form of climate change with ideas, culture with population growth and cold war with financial crisis. The last question will probably be an open type questions stating to use 2 or more modules as examples.
Obviously these are only predictions and I only have 2 years of questions to work on so use it at your own risk. Though I have to say I'm pretty sure they'll be too lazy to do anything different for tomorrow =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending