The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Social Work at Queens 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennyxxx
Hi Chloeh7

Think im going to firm BMC. Only this is im a bit worried about the final year at magee....is it meant to be every day in 3rd year? Guess we will all know each well by then and can prob lift share or even get a place :smile:

Hey jenny, the last year you are on your 100 day placement from jan - may so u'll only be at magee from sept - dec. And i think the odd day to catch up with tutors wen you are on placement.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Hey Melissa, I am considering renting a room so I can stay down over the few days in the week that we are in uni, it will cost the same as driving, and will be less tiring. On the other hand if we have a decent schedule/ timetable and have enough people to share the driving with, I may drive down and share that with others.

what are your thoughts ?
Reply 1782
Original post by 1 No Mum
Aw I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: Do you have any other options to fall back on?

In my understanding, the reserve list is judged by your overall application score. Then when places become vacant, highest scores get offers.

You should call Queen's on Tuesday and request feedback on your application :biggrin: x

I have applied for nursing at queens, haven't heard yet but I felt my interview went bad! I have applied for a tech medical science course but I'm not sure what I want to do now :frown: is there a specific number to ring for feedback?
Original post by KerryF94
Good Morning :smile: I'm feeling less gutted but still a wee bit gutted that I waited from 20th Feb to be rejected. I spoke to someone from Queens and they said there was a course that was still open for applications that some students do before going into social work called Social Policy and Sociology, it is not exactly the same but can lead to the 2 year route. She said it might help to ease into it rather than jump into something so intense but it would involve going into UCAS Extra to apply for it. I don't know what I will do at the minute because I have so much to think about it, I really was set on a proper university experience, but going to Magee would mean leaving my job and family as I couldnt travel up there all the time. So much to think about :/

Hi kerry, i know how you are feeling, magee was my last choice in fact i wasnt even going to apply to there only my tutor made me put it down. Im gutted that i didnt get swc or queens. Every time i think of the travelling i could cry but i have to keep reminding myself how lucky i am to have got anywhere. I dont think you should worry too much about the uni thing, ul get the same degree at bmc. Im 40 next year and i never dreamt that i would be going to uni at this age. You are still so young, you have years ahead of you to try uni, you might decide to go on & further your career with another degree. I think you will do great whatever you decide xx
Original post by seanieno9
Hey Melissa, I am considering renting a room so I can stay down over the few days in the week that we are in uni, it will cost the same as driving, and will be less tiring. On the other hand if we have a decent schedule/ timetable and have enough people to share the driving with, I may drive down and share that with others.

what are your thoughts ?

I have a little girl so I will definitely be driving. I am willing to car share. Would love the company on the journey. Makes the time go in a lot quicker. If living down is the same expense you should really consider it. A lot of difficult decisions to make, at least you have a bit of time to decide.
Indeed, decisions, decisions lol the joys.

We have plenty of time to decide, I think, over the summer the POA will become somewhat clearer.. Lol
Reply 1786
Hi guys,

I have never been here before and when searching for info poped here accidentally...Then though it's brilliant, as everybody shares doubts and worries what helps overcoming own ones...

Yesterday I got message on ucas re:queens, unsuccessful, couldn't sleep all night, as I hoped it will go somehow...well...though a week before UU offered me conditional place at its 3places...so I need to complete my HND with certain grades...
As I'm from Belfast I'll be considering Belfast Met (that's the reason why queens would be so handy-all 3 years at one place)....but...there are other thoughts as well...

At the moment I have a relatively good job, charity organisation, good position etc....It goes quite well with my parental commitments (1 ch, 7y.o.). If I decide to go for BMC it looks like I'll need to quit the job, as I don't think they would agree to cutting my workdays...even so, I don't know how does the timetable look like so it might be not achievable at all if the classes are 4 days a week...

My main worry would be finances...I know there's bursary etc...But...Will it work enough for me to manage financially? My partner's contract is finishing next year and we don't know what's after....Maybe stay at the job and apply for SW again for the following year?
Really struggle with decision...

Does anyone know (or can recommend a link) regarding what financial support is available for students with small families? I know there's additional grant for childcare and parents allowance...But how does it work in practice?
If you receive a bursary can you still apply for other support? grant/ loan?

I just would like to know as much as possible to decide what would be the best for my family....

Aside all these my worries:
great congratulations to all of you!For those who got places and who were rejected-as you got already so far, remember that!
Reply 1787
Hey Jenny don't forget we will be on placement in the third year so we won't be in Magee for that many weeks but yea we can share lifts and stuff it will be no bother by that time. Do u mind me asking u where ur from? I'm from lurgan so will be travelling in the train to Belfast the days we are in. So glad someone else on this is firming bmc lol I'm so excited
Reply 1788
Original post by KarenG128
Hi kerry, i know how you are feeling, magee was my last choice in fact i wasnt even going to apply to there only my tutor made me put it down. Im gutted that i didnt get swc or queens. Every time i think of the travelling i could cry but i have to keep reminding myself how lucky i am to have got anywhere. I dont think you should worry too much about the uni thing, ul get the same degree at bmc. Im 40 next year and i never dreamt that i would be going to uni at this age. You are still so young, you have years ahead of you to try uni, you might decide to go on & further your career with another degree. I think you will do great whatever you decide xx

Hi Karen sorry you didn't get swc but there is possibly reserve list there too so you never know, might be worth ringing to find out. Feeling a bit privileged to have got a place there as there were only 15. Have offer for Magee too so still deciding. Me too never expected to be going to uni at this age but looks like a really good mix of ages all round. Good luck hope you might get to swc yet.
Reply 1789
Original post by Chloeh7
Hey Jenny don't forget we will be on placement in the third year so we won't be in Magee for that many weeks but yea we can share lifts and stuff it will be no bother by that time. Do u mind me asking u where ur from? I'm from lurgan so will be travelling in the train to Belfast the days we are in. So glad someone else on this is firming bmc lol I'm so excited

oh cool didnt know that!thats good to know.Im from Comber so will be getting buses or train up to Belfast.So nice to hear of someone else thats going!!nice to know someone before I get there :smile: Think BMC will be a great atmosphere!:smile: What have you been doing this year? Im going back after being out of study for a few years...hope im not the oldest in the class!lol
Reply 1790
Original post by mags30
Hi guys,

I have never been here before and when searching for info poped here accidentally...Then though it's brilliant, as everybody shares doubts and worries what helps overcoming own ones...

Yesterday I got message on ucas re:queens, unsuccessful, couldn't sleep all night, as I hoped it will go somehow...well...though a week before UU offered me conditional place at its 3places...so I need to complete my HND with certain grades...
As I'm from Belfast I'll be considering Belfast Met (that's the reason why queens would be so handy-all 3 years at one place)....but...there are other thoughts as well...

At the moment I have a relatively good job, charity organisation, good position etc....It goes quite well with my parental commitments (1 ch, 7y.o.). If I decide to go for BMC it looks like I'll need to quit the job, as I don't think they would agree to cutting my workdays...even so, I don't know how does the timetable look like so it might be not achievable at all if the classes are 4 days a week...

My main worry would be finances...I know there's bursary etc...But...Will it work enough for me to manage financially? My partner's contract is finishing next year and we don't know what's after....Maybe stay at the job and apply for SW again for the following year?
Really struggle with decision...

Does anyone know (or can recommend a link) regarding what financial support is available for students with small families? I know there's additional grant for childcare and parents allowance...But how does it work in practice?
If you receive a bursary can you still apply for other support? grant/ loan?

I just would like to know as much as possible to decide what would be the best for my family....

Aside all these my worries:
great congratulations to all of you!For those who got places and who were rejected-as you got already so far, remember that!

Aw well done on getting the offers that you have.... Sorry bout Queen's, but maybe it just wasn't for you! I'm a strong believer in fate and destiny and what's for us not going past us!! :biggrin:

As a 28 year old mom of 3, I know the financial side of things is a bit worrying.

However, anyone who I have spoke to who is doing the course, is more than well off....

Parents Learning Allowance is only if you are under 25 years old

Then you can get a :

Maintainance Grant
Special Support Grant (if eligible)
Maintainance loan (repayable)
Tuition Fee Loan (repayable)
Travel Grant
Childcare Grant
DHSSPSNI Incentive Grant
Child Tax Credit
Working Tax Credit
Child Benefit
Housing benefit

I also know that SWC pays 14 payments of £400 throughout years 1 and 2 of the course.

Unsure of how any other uni works, but I'm sure if you research, you will probably find that they also offer such a bursary.

Check out UU websites, NISCC and Student Finance. :biggrin:
Reply 1791
I'm sure there will be others ur age don't worry. I'm doing an HND in health and social care, can't wait until I'm finished with it lol yea well keep in touch and at least we will know each other when we are starting in sept, might help to get rid of some of the nerves lol
Original post by 40+
Hi Karen sorry you didn't get swc but there is possibly reserve list there too so you never know, might be worth ringing to find out. Feeling a bit privileged to have got a place there as there were only 15. Have offer for Magee too so still deciding. Me too never expected to be going to uni at this age but looks like a really good mix of ages all round. Good luck hope you might get to swc yet.

Hi, i have already firmed magee so chances of gettin swc probably slim now :frown: aw well, i'll just have to make the most if it. I have 2 kids so it will be tough but i knew all this when i applied. I just have to think positive. Where theres a will, theres a way!! :smile:
Reply 1793
No 1 Mum thanks for all that, I didn't know that parents allowance is for those under 25...
re: the rest of support you mentioned - yes, i am aware of these, but cannot find anywhere how it works, e.g. can you apply for loan despite bursary? etc.oh- and as far i know you cannot get child tax credit if you receive childcare element within your bursary or other grant...

on the closest occasion i'll try ring some info offices, maybe they'll help...though when i rang belb they told me that what I can get will be assessed on the base of my personal circumstances...no rough idea how, when, what...
thus, as i don't know anybody who went through that, it's hard to judge...

it is just i wouldn't like to regret leaving my job...

started also thinking about the difference between queens and ulster u...does anybody know what is the real one?except the place naturally....
Original post by KerryF94
I didn't get into queens :frown: so I've to pick between bmc and magee :/

I didn't get in either... BMC is is for me...!!
Reply 1795
I have firmed my offer for Queens 3 year route, can't wait now but like a lot of other people I'm anxious about quitting my job etc. Has anyone else firmed Queens 3 year? and does any body know a rough timetable for Queens? :smile:
Reply 1796
I'm bmc too crystal. Can't wait, have heard great things about it
Reply 1797
Hi everyone. Got news yesterday of unconditional offers into 2yr and 3yr at QUB. Can't decide which to firm. Leaning more to the 3yr but can't decide :hmpf:. Anyone i have talked to has said the 2yr route is crazy, not sure if i could take it after being out of education for a few years. Is anyone else facing a similar dilema?
Reply 1798
Original post by KarenG128
Hi, i have already firmed magee so chances of gettin swc probably slim now :frown: aw well, i'll just have to make the most if it. I have 2 kids so it will be tough but i knew all this when i applied. I just have to think positive. Where theres a will, theres a way!! :smile:

I don't think confirming your offers affects waiting lists for other places they mentioned something about it at magee the other night. Seems they adjust your ucas if you get reserve place for somewhere else but they said you get contacted by phone or email so make sure your details are correct. On the plus side Magee is short hours and 3 days a week first term with long holidays.
Does anyone know if you firm a place you won't get on the waiting list for another? I have an offer for Magee but would love to go to Queens as it would have been easier travelling :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending