The Student Room Group

good universities for computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry yeh I was getting confused. Thanks for all your help.

Are there any I guess mid level unis that you would recommend I look at? Of course some might still not accept what I have but it would help me when looking through every entry requirements page of every uni in the UK!
Original post by ageshallnot
Ah, I see now. I was confused when you said you were predicted A*A*A* rather than D*D*D*. My advice is to look very closely at the entry requirements of the individual courses in which you are interested. If in doubt about anything, including the GCSE, email the admissions tutors directly.

Contact the university, and hopefully they will accept it if not, there is always another university :smile:. Look at it online, :smile: I am going to say although technically the "elite" universities accept them the a level students tend to take first priority, make sure you apply as soon as possible if they do accept them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dj2013
Sorry yeh I was getting confused. Thanks for all your help.

Are there any I guess mid level unis that you would recommend I look at? Of course some might still not accept what I have but it would help me when looking through every entry requirements page of every uni in the UK!

For computer science? There is lots of universities try and stay within the top 20 as they tend to be the best for computer science as my uncle told me, UCL grad, but he might just be biased, but I'm going to say any in the top 50 should be good enough just not places like LMU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Thanks for that mate :smile:

I am looking now for example at Liverpool. http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons/entry-requirements/

It mentions under A- Levels that a maths grade b is required but under BTEC it is not mentioned.
Would that mean that I would apply if i met their BTEC requirements? I have emailed them but maybe you know? they may take days to reply and of course the deadline is the 15th!

I have been looking through the Guardians List of Universities and here are some I picked out and I apply for I believe;

Gloucester, Plymouth, Hertfordshire, Kent, Essex, Cardiff, Newcastle, Lancaster and Stirling.
The last 6 I qualify for their Comp Science courses, again some of their entry requirements pages say that my BTEC would qualify but doesn't mention I need an A Level maths with it?

the others offer course I may also be interested in so I noted them down!

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Contact them man :smile: I'm sure that you'll find one :smile: I'm doing a wishy wash of four A levels and the L3 BTEC N.Diploma lol I'll have like 1000 UCAS points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that some universities are happier with BTECs than others. I know you think it's a pain, but look through as many courses as you can - not just for their entry requirements, but for what you would study, what the uni environment is like etc. When you have a short list, email them about how they would view your qualifications.
Reply 26
Just a quick update, I received emails back from Cardiff and Lancaster who confirmed my qualifications meet the requirements which is good news :smile:

I have emailed the others but from what I can see I should be fine for them;
Gloucester, Plymouth, Hertfordshire, Kent, Essex, Cardiff, Newcastle, Lancaster and Stirling.

Now to choose!

Anyone here know anything about these ones?

Lancaster and Kent look particularly appealing to me as does Stirling but I have not heard from them yet.
Reply 27
generally, I would rank them as follows:

1. cambridge
2. imperial
3. bristol

outside of that I don't think it really matters, though UCL will have a fair bit of international prestige thanks to its name and the female dean sucking off the guy who puts together the QS world rankings :rolleyes: :tongue:.
Original post by Dj2013
Just a quick update, I received emails back from Cardiff and Lancaster who confirmed my qualifications meet the requirements which is good news :smile:

I have emailed the others but from what I can see I should be fine for them;

Now to choose!

Anyone here know anything about these ones?

Lancaster and Kent look particularly appealing to me as does Stirling but I have not heard from them yet.

Here's £2,000-worth of reasons to go to Kent:
http://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships/undergraduate/academic/academicexcellence.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
That is interesting, I do like the look of Kent and have it down as one of my choices.

Thanks
Original post by Dj2013
That is interesting, I do like the look of Kent and have it down as one of my choices.

Thanks

Kent is a lovely campus university on the edge of a beautiful town - I've not studied there, only visited.
Reply 32
Well guys I have received a conditional offer from Greenwich which I am happy about as it came less than a week after my application.

Anyone here studied at Greenwich or know of anyone that does?

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending