The Student Room Group

Would studying additional further maths be worthy?

Hello

I'm planning to take all 18 modules in edexcel maths which give me 3 a levels. The 4th one will be physics.

a) What Im trying to ask is would taking 3 a levels that are related to maths worthy?

b) Is it going to be too harsh or hard for me to do whole modules?
(I got 98% in gcse maths)

I'm planning to study mathematics in university
Why would you take 18 modules... I think you still only get 2 A-Lvls out of it, right?
If you're trying to demonstrate your interest in Mathematics (for admission purposes), maybe consider doing stuff outside of the curriculum.
Original post by Merryeniale
Why would you take 18 modules... I think you still only get 2 A-Lvls out of it, right?
If you're trying to demonstrate your interest in Mathematics (for admission purposes), maybe consider doing stuff outside of the curriculum.

You get 3 from it. Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths. If you want to do Maths, Computer science, Physics or Engineering at undergraduate my guess would be It's useful. Though you will have to do extra stuff outside of your A-level (unless you get like 100% UMS average and apply to Cambridge). For me you'd be better off only doing 2 Maths A-Levels and having a go at STEP instead.
Oh right, well a friend of mine got an offer from Cambridge (with A's (85%+ per module) in AS Maths, Further Maths). She also did Econ, Physics.
Universities generally like variety.

Tbh, getting good maths scores at GCSE does not mean that you'll get A/A*s at A-lvl. (I know somebody who got 100% in year 10.. barely scraped a B in her AS). It depends on how quick and good you are at picking up the methodology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest