The Student Room Group

Anyone planning to travel alone in 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Hnyy1030
Welcome! I'll be in Korea then haha! i think you are the only one who isnt afraid of north korea :biggrin:

well actually the plans have now become quite complicated and i need your help (advice). would rather not type the whole thing on the forum though
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Have you ever booked with them?
I've also been looking on the Gap360 website which offer a similar travel package to Thailand - looks pretty decent.

What's your travel plans - if you have any? :smile:

No I haven't, I'm only 16 :P But browsing/planning for when I finish my A-levels (2014/2015) :smile:
I've seen that website too, looks decent.
What are your plans?
Reply 182
Original post by R3cognize
I'll be travelling alone! I fly out early April to Dubai before heading to Bangkok, Australlia, NZ and Singapoore. Flights and accomodation already booked! Can't wait to see more of the world before university.

when are you off? :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by Nunu Bot
well actually the plans have now become quite complicated and i need your help (advice). would rather not type the whole thing on the forum though

Ok pm me then :smile:
actually the north korea thing isnt that serious here in korea
Original post by Sarang_assa
Oooh what's it like in teaching in China? I'm considering teaching EFL again next year but not sure if I could hack China.

English wise, you should be fine if you've managed in China. From what I remember signs are bilingual in Seoul and Busan. I found that English wasn't really spoken, especially by the older Koreans. The ones that travel tend to be much more confident with it!

In Seoul, my favourite area is Hongdae, if I was going to go back to Korea I'd like to live there or Busan. It's just really cool, and the best night out! Check out one of the palaces, I liked Gyeongbukgung. And one of the Hanbok villages (I liked Namsangol).

Insadong is worth going to, it's the traditional area, lots of tea rooms and a great place to pick up gifts. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but they say it's the only place where even the big brands have to have their logo written in Hangul. It's quite cool seeing Starbucks and McDonalds in Hangul rather than English.

N Seoul tower is awesome, and in the evening they project light shows onto the tower. I'd also recommend Seoadaemun prison and the war memorial.

I don't know if you'll be able to given the current situation but if you get the chance, a trip to the DMZ is well worth it. I went with the USO and the tour is given by the US soldiers. (http://affiliates.uso.org/Korea/?contentid=347)

I always went around Korea by bus rather than train, they're almost as quick, super cheap, and ridiculously luxurious. The buses only have 3 seats an aisle and you can recline really far back, and the foot rest comes right up. And there's so much room between each row that the person behind you will barely notice, even if you recline almost horizontally. Not the best picture but you get the idea! You always stop at a service station halfway through the journey, and they're an experience in themselves. Definitely get some hoddeok!
217706_856216818082_3599690_n.jpg

It'll be really hot whilst you're their too so try some Patbingsu, it's this shaved ice, creamy, fruity, cornflakey, red bean mixture.

I stayed in the Haeundae when I was there and I liked it, really close to the beach and plenty of places to eat/drink. I thought Haeundae beach was nice, and it wasn't too busy when we went. I've only been to Busan when there's been a festival on though, we went to the Sand Art Festival. This should give you an idea of the beach...
247333_877773792732_701157_n.jpg
If it's too busy for you though, there's always Gwangalli beach.

Jagalchi fish market is worth seeing, you're bound to see a runaway octopus!
251359_877777051202_8174666_n.jpg

I didn't go myself but people recommended Haedong Yonggungsa Temple.

Phew, sorry that was longer than I expected! I've been home for a year and think I went on a bit of a trip down memory lane haha x

Wow, thanks a lot for such a detailed reply! I'll definitely check all of those places out, sounds so different to China! I'm staying right in the middle of seoul, so I think i'll go for the beach in Busan!

China has cetainly been an experience. I live in Shanghai, so i'm not really experiencing as much culture shock as I thought I would. It's been a great year, and i've enjoyed teaching. There is definitely a huge spoilt brat problem developing as a result of the 1 child policy, though! Certain things build up and really start to annoy u as well (internet censorship, terrible bureaucracy, everyone hating Japan etc etc). I'd recommend it to someone who wants to get a lot of life experience!

How was it going home? Did it feel like you had ever left? It's going to be SO WEIRD..i'm starting med school when I get back too, so a very different year ahead! I will miss China on the whole I think!
Original post by MagicCarpetDays
No I haven't, I'm only 16 :P But browsing/planning for when I finish my A-levels (2014/2015) :smile:
What are your plans?

hey there, so are you in year 12 (me too :biggrin:) I've started looking at gap year stuff, got no idea if I want to go to uni or not but I know I want to travel so a gap year is something I definitely want to do :smile:

What are you thinking of doing on a gap year?
Reply 186
Original post by razzle-dazzle
I'm off to Russia in June - can't wait to go! :smile:

Where abouts are you going? I'm half considering attaching St.Petersburg to my current travel plans so I can catch the white nights in June - really not sure yet, but would need to make my mind up soon in order to get a visa etc. sorted!
Hey, just a few general questions for anyone here who has travelled alone for more than a week.

How did you find it? Did you enjoy it? Did you meet people in hostels? Did you find that you had to miss out on doing and seeing certain things that would normally be done by more than one person? (e.g. theme parks etc).

I'm starting to worry that I might not be quite as cut out for travelling alone as I thought. I'm staying in hostels the whole time (dorms), so i'm hoping i'll meet some people, but i'm not completely extroverted and able to just approach people and talk to them, let alone ask them to join me or ask to join them! Are there a lot of people travelling alone in hostels?

I'm going to Japan, Korea and Hong Kong btw.

Thanks!
Original post by thatgirlbecky
hey there, so are you in year 12 (me too :biggrin:) I've started looking at gap year stuff, got no idea if I want to go to uni or not but I know I want to travel so a gap year is something I definitely want to do :smile:

What are you thinking of doing on a gap year?

I am :smile: I want to do a bit of volunteering/teaching etc, maybe some paid work along the way but enough time in each country to do tourist stuff

yourself?
I am :smile: I want to do a bit of volunteering/teaching etc, maybe some paid work along the way but enough time in each country to do tourist stuff

yourself?

yeah same, I'd love to work in Germany and Australia, and have some money to travel around oz and europe :biggrin:
Original post by thatgirlbecky
yeah same, I'd love to work in Germany and Australia, and have some money to travel around oz and europe :biggrin:

Sounds good :smile: Australia is definitely on my list
What are your plans?

Aaah right - Good Luck with your A-levels and hope you have a good time travelling when you do go :smile:

I'm definately hoping to book one of the packages to Thailand. They look right up my street with the culture and the adventure activities. I'm hoping for this August as I'm currently a Student Nurse in my 2nd year of University and our holidays aren't that great - we only have 4 weeks off in summer so I want to take advantage of it. I'm hoping to be booking it relatively soon but it's all money dependant .. fingers crossed!
im thinking about it, going back to Rennes to do my resits at the end of June, so might consider travelling to other parts of Europe after i finish them before i come back to the UK
Original post by dreamer_
when are you off? :smile:

Wednesday :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by R3cognize
Wednesday :biggrin:

and you're off to dubai? :smile:
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Aaah right - Good Luck with your A-levels and hope you have a good time travelling when you do go :smile:

I'm definately hoping to book one of the packages to Thailand. They look right up my street with the culture and the adventure activities. I'm hoping for this August as I'm currently a Student Nurse in my 2nd year of University and our holidays aren't that great - we only have 4 weeks off in summer so I want to take advantage of it. I'm hoping to be booking it relatively soon but it's all money dependant .. fingers crossed!

Thank you!
Yeah same here, looks like a good mix between the culture and activities like you mentioned.
Ah sounds tough, good luck in your studies too and I hope you can book it- if you do you'll have to tell me what's it like, haha :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Hnyy1030
Ok pm me then :smile:
actually the north korea thing isnt that serious here in korea

Ive pmed u :biggrin:
Original post by dreamer_
and you're off to dubai? :smile:

Yeah, getting nervous now though!
Original post by noregrets
Hey, just a few general questions for anyone here who has travelled alone for more than a week.

How did you find it? Did you enjoy it? Did you meet people in hostels? Did you find that you had to miss out on doing and seeing certain things that would normally be done by more than one person? (e.g. theme parks etc).

I'm starting to worry that I might not be quite as cut out for travelling alone as I thought. I'm staying in hostels the whole time (dorms), so i'm hoping i'll meet some people, but i'm not completely extroverted and able to just approach people and talk to them, let alone ask them to join me or ask to join them! Are there a lot of people travelling alone in hostels?

I'm going to Japan, Korea and Hong Kong btw.

Thanks!

I'll be in similar places this year and have traveled alone for months on end so I'll throw in my two cents.

How did you find it? Lonely at times but on the whole, traveling alone far outweighs traveling with others IMO.

I would say I only really missed company when I was actually traveling. Long flights and buses on your own are pretty draining so make sure you have some kind of entertainment with you.

Be prepared to meet people whether you like it or not. Introvert? Not really an issue as the whole atmosphere is completely different on the road than it is at home and I can assure you after the first few days you'll be much more comfortable just chatting to people in around the hostels.

Personally didn't miss out on anything excursion wise but I guess that is a possibility. Bungee jumped solo (met people there), went to the shooting range, trekked with other groups and if I was in a bar there'd always be some chat and pool over lunch.

You have to remember that a lot of people are in the same boat and if they're doing the same sort of trip as you, a lot of the time you'll get on pretty well as they're like minded.

(This is of course not always true as there are plenty of tools out there as well).

The business of hostels is very hostel specific so I recommend reading some reviews on the hostel sites before you go. Travellers will comment if a certain place is particularly solo friendly and it's worth paying a little extra for if they are.
Reply 199
Guys I have information on working holiday visas. If anyone would like it I can send to them for free. Just send me a private message.

Cheers

Rich.

Quick Reply

Latest