The Student Room Group

Frank Lampard Vs Steven Gerrard Poll

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Musester
You're a fanboy though. Tell me a better goal Gerrard has scored since 2010 that was as good as Lampard's v Spurs.

That isn't what the thread is about though :dontknow:

Edit: To your other post with the video, how many free kicks has Lampard scored?
(edited 11 years ago)
You're a fanboy though. Tell me a better goal Gerrard has scored since 2010 that was as good as Lampard's v Spurs.

Doesn't make you a better player.
Reply 62

Why have you put a random time frame on it? He might not score many now but there's no doubt as to who has scored the better goals. Not that it's really relevant to the argument, I just wanted to post the video.
It's hard coming from a Chelsea fan but it has to be Gerrard for me, he could influence games more than Lampard in the past for example the '06 FA Cup final against West Ham & score crucial goals like the one against Olympiakos in the 04/05 CL. I know Lamps scored a heck of a lot of goals but he was playing around better players at his peak and also took more penalties than Gerrard, also Lampard hugely disappointed at major tournaments apart from Euro 2004, Gerrard wasn't great either but probably just a bit better than Lampard. Both great footballers though that sadly underachieved at international level. Who knows in the future we might have the same sort of debate about the likes of Wilshere and McEachran aha :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Gerrard in open play but Lampard is debatebly the best penatly taker in the world
Reply 65
Original post by Deshi
There's only one winner in these polls between these two and its Gerrard. Don't see how many more times it needs to be done before people realise.

To be fair this forum is heavily in favour of Liverpool fans as proof, and one where the majority of people voting probably weren't even 15 when both players were in their prime. So it's kinda irrelevant.
Reply 66
Original post by Tommyjw
To be fair this forum is heavily in favour of Liverpool fans as proof, and one where the majority of people voting probably weren't even 15 when both players were in their prime. So it's kinda irrelevant.

Think there are more Utd and Arsenal fans than Liverpool.. def not many Chelsea fans though.
Reply 67
Original post by Tommyjw

There are a lot but once again, take away all the votes from Chelsea and Liverpool fans and Gerrard would still win.

I watched a huge amount of football when I was 15 so I don't see how age is relevant.

When we had these polls a few years ago, around the time both were in there primes, Gerrard still won.
Reply 68
mega+facepalm.jpg
Reply 69
Gerrard. Lampard's really good at attacking and scoring goals and Gerrard seems to be a better all round player. He's not been as consistent and he's been injured over the last 2 years but Lampard's been playing in the best side in Chelsea's history, and hasn't needed to give 110% a lot of the time like Gerrard.
Original post by Jim-Jam
Gerrard. Lampard's really good at attacking and scoring goals and Gerrard seems to be a better all round player. He's not been as consistent and he's been injured over the last 2 years but Lampard's been playing in the best side in Chelsea's history, and hasn't needed to give 110% a lot of the time like Gerrard.

What solid proof have you got that Gerrard is more hard working than Lampard on the football pitch?

It's pretty obvious that a Liverpool fan would say Gerrard but you need to bring up some solid facts.
Reply 71
Gerrard's base level was 7/10. Lampard's base level was 8/10. That's the level they'd churn out most weeks for most of their careers.

Thing is Gerrard had the ability to put in 9/10 and 10/10 performances which Lampard couldn't really match.

If I was picking a dream team style side to play one match i'd have to go with Gerrard, but I can certainly understand the argument that Lampard would produce more over the course of an entire season.
Would say Lampard has been a little more consistent but Gerrards peak was immense, lots of games the man defined put the team on his back. Both players have been brilliant servants at the club. Shame they never gelled for England!
Reply 73
Original post by James A
What solid proof have you got that Gerrard is more hard working than Lampard on the football pitch?

It's pretty obvious that a Liverpool fan would say Gerrard but you need to bring up some solid facts.

Well you can't prove if a player's more hard working through facts.

And I never meant it as in hard working, I meant as in have to do more for the team. Has Lampard ever done what Gerrard did in the 2005 Cl final and 206 FA cup final? A more recent one was an England match against Hungary after the world cup where Gerrard scored two goals, Capello's job would have been under serioud consideration that night (If it was a qualifier as I think it was).

Same can be said for the Euros. Gerrard grafted and ended with an assist in 3 matches as well as creating lots of chances for strikers, why he was voted in the team of the tournament.
Original post by Jim-Jam

And I never meant it as in hard working, I meant as in have to do more for the team. Has Lampard ever done what Gerrard did in the 2005 Cl final and 206 FA cup final? A more recent one was an England match against Hungary after the world cup where Gerrard scored two goals, Capello's job would have been under serioud consideration that night (If it was a qualifier as I think it was).

Same can be said for the Euros. Gerrard grafted and ended with an assist in 3 matches as well as creating lots of chances for strikers, why he was voted in the team of the tournament.

While Lampard's never done anything quite as spectacular as Gerrard in 2005, or as dramatic as Gerrard in 2006, he's had some pretty special moments himself. Just look back to last year's semi-final of the Champions League where he was directly involved in Chelsea's two most important goals: he plays two fantastic passes to Ramires (one in the lead up to Drogba's goal at the Bridge, the other directly assisting Ramires' goal at Camp Nou). Plus he also played the corner that led to Drogba's goal in the final. Because of the nature of all three of those matches, those were moments out of absolutely nothing where he only had limited time on the ball.
Reply 75
Original post by Jim-Jam

And Lampard was in the team of the tournament in 2004, so really that argument is irrelevant. Sure, Lampard probably hasn't scored as many big game goals as Gerrard did around 2005-2006 but the one's he has done have been throughout his career.

I haven't watched Gerrard enough to know if being in the right place at the right time at the end of a game to win it by scoring is something that he has done time and time again but that's what Lampard has done throughout his career.

Plus everybody points to the way Lampard can only score from the penalty spot, I don't think they quite appreciate how difficult penalty taking is in the modern professional game-such as a CL final penalty shootout.

And how many players have scored from the byline at the Nou Camp?
Reply 76
I personally feel they should both play together or atleast be in the 24 man squad for the world cup next year.
I feel like something special will happen. Lampard will be 35 then and Gerrard 33, I like Roy Hodgson though, he will know how to use these players to set up the next generation of players.
Reply 77
And Lampard was in the team of the tournament in 2004, so really that argument is irrelevant. Sure, Lampard probably hasn't scored as many big game goals as Gerrard did around 2005-2006 but the one's he has done have been throughout his career.

Yep, Gerrard definitely only scored big game goals between 2005-2006.

/sarcasm

I haven't watched Gerrard enough to know if being in the right place at the right time at the end of a game to win it by scoring is something that he has done time and time again but that's what Lampard has done throughout his career.

So has Gerrard

Plus everybody points to the way Lampard can only score from the penalty spot, I don't think they quite appreciate how difficult penalty taking is in the modern professional game-such as a CL final penalty shootout.

Penalty taking is hardly relevant in this debate. Lampard is better but he pretty much has an identical conversion rate to Gerrard, it's not going to be the skill that separates these two.

And how many players have scored from the byline at the Nou Camp?

How many players have scored a 30 yard strike in the dying minutes of injury time whilst suffering from injuries to keep their team in the match at Wembley? :holmes:
Reply 78
How many players have taken and scored a hugely long range absolute piss-take of a shot against Manchester United in a cup final?

:biggrin:
Reply 79
Original post by Deshi
Yep, Gerrard definitely only scored big game goals between 2005-2006.

/sarcasm

So has Gerrard

Penalty taking is hardly relevant in this debate. Lampard is better but he pretty much has an identical conversion rate to Gerrard, it's not going to be the skill that separates these two.

How many players have scored a 30 yard strike in the dying minutes of injury time whilst suffering from injuries to keep their team in the match at Wembley? :holmes:

My first point was that Gerrard hasn't been as consistent as Lampard since about 2005. Like it or not, that's the case and the stats back that up.

Don't remember Gerrard doing that at Wembley.

Quick Reply

Latest