The Student Room Group

11-Year-Old Transgender Girl, Writes Essay In Response To Obama's Inauguration speech

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Maxisussex
" firstly what sick minded parents give a kindergardener a bloody sex change!? "

Parents that listen to and respect the opinions of doctors that have more knowledge and experience than they could ever hope for. But your the expert aren't you?

Its a three year old boy! Who on earth takes the word of three year old at face value? Are they allowed to vote? no are they allowed to smoke, buy drinks and gamble? no. why? because theyre idiots they have no idea what choice theyre making and dont for a second say they do, although judging by your truly pathetic straw man arguments you probably will... you seem to have the intellect of a grape fruit you cant make your own argument you simply resort to petty insults and claiming complete rubbish without backing any of it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
First eleven year olds have sex changes, then they have babies!!
Original post by cl_steele
Its a three year old boy! Who on earth takes the word of three year old at face value? Are they allowed to vote? no are they allowed to smoke, buy drinks and gamble? no. why? because theyre idiots they have no idea what choice theyre making and dont for a second say they do, although judging by your truly pathetic straw man arguments you probably will... you seem to have the intellect of a grape fruit you cant make your own argument you simply resort to petty insults and claiming complete rubbish without backing any of it up.

Ahh so you are claiming the doctors know less than you do,the little expert on an island in the middle of nowhere,congratulations.

Where did you get your degree? I'm curious how your knowledgeable opinion has come to surpass that of experts?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by cl_steele
apologies, hopefully this one will work.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/24/sadie-age-11-asks-obama-why-inaugural-address-didnt-mention-transgender-people-like-her/ ... if not google sadie 11 time transgender and it should pop right up.

' Sadie transitioned from male to female in kindergarten.' Its quite a clear cut comment, no?

Not at all. "Transition" doesn't necessarily mean "sex change operation" it can just mean living as the opposite gender, which is almost certainly what it means in this case.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Maxisussex
Ahh so you are claiming the doctors know less than you do,the little expert on an island in the middle of nowhere,congratulations.

Where did you get your degree? I'm curious how your knowledgeable opinion has come to surpass that of experts?

Little island in the middle of nowhere? Yesss because being but a few klicks off the coast of Europe is oh so tiny int it? I take it you failed all your exams, you dont know what the south of England is... youre scared to go outside your door and you dont know where the UK is?
You also appear not to be able to read and also a pathological liar... I have half a mind to report you to the relevant psych board.
He is not a `she' because he feels like it anymore than a man who identified as a zebra would be a zebra.

This is sick and grossly irresponsible of his parents.
Original post by eelnais
If she wants to identify as a girl, I think it would be more wrong for the parents to ban that. It's stupid to say they should be locked up for allowing her to be who she wants.

And this is why society is the way it is today, that statement you just made.
Why don't we just let kids run wild and do what they want especially when they are young...
The family is the fabric of society, that why it is important parents guide their children correctly, she is so young to do something like this (leaving the issue of whether such a process is right or not).
Reply 67
Original post by hannah60000
And this is why society is the way it is today, that statement you just made.
Why don't we just let kids run wild and do what they want especially when they are young...
The family is the fabric of society, that why it is important parents guide their children correctly, she is so young to do something like this (leaving the issue of whether such a process is right or not).

I'm not sure how that is letting kids run wild, one child being able to identify as a girl. She has indeed turned out to be a right delinquent. :tongue:

She's behaved like this for about seven years now, hasn't she? I'd say she's pretty certain on her decision, but there's still her teenage years for her to develop a more mature way of thinking. It's likely she'll stick to being a girl though.

Her parents have taught her right from wrong, it seems. It looks like they have a good family relationship, which you value highly. What's the problem?
Reply 68
To be honest i like to think that i'm pretty liberal in that i can understand homosexuality and i'm all for equal rights but i cannot possibly fathom why an eleven year old would want a sex change and why any parent would allow their child to become a transgender.
Reply 69
Original post by deadnigerstorage
First eleven year olds have sex changes, then they have babies!!

I imagine in the deep south the saying "your old enough to bleed so your old enough to breed" would be quite apt.
Reply 70
She's TRANSGENDER not TRANSSEXUAL. There's a difference.
Reply 71
Just to say a big thank you to the kind person who negged me earlier. It took a great deal of courage to come out as a raviolo on TSR... pasta products have feelings too
Original post by Rakas21
To be honest i like to think that i'm pretty liberal in that i can understand homosexuality and i'm all for equal rights but i cannot possibly fathom why an eleven year old would want a sex change and why any parent would allow their child to become a transgender.

thats because you dont know much about transgender people :smile:

Your view is formed on the small amount of exposer normal people get through the media/casual people they may have known and scene.. - as is most peoples..

Unfortunatly this view is hardly that acurate.. lets start with a few things:

the parents didnt allow her to become transgender. - the causes of GID (gender identy disorder) are still not entierly known, but its most commonly believed to be due to hormonal imbalences in the womb - and/or - the way the brain develops in the first few years after pregnancy...

Secondly, someone this age.. to get anything recognised/done.. will have to be diagnosed by a doctor.. - so its not just a case of the child cliaming things, and not being able to understand what they mean.. - they would have visited psychiatrists, doctors, psychoanalysts etc.. and spent quite an extensive amount of time.. before being diagnosed with this mental condition.. (GID, though is an out of date term.. the DSM-V now calls it GD - gender dysphoria)

Next: the 11 year old is very lucky, most people dont get diagnosed untill much later.. - but the younger you get diagnosed, the better, by a long way.. - sucsess rates of Transgender sugeries are through the roof.. always over 90% - and any other means of treating it, have so far.. not been found to work..

You want to know what would happen if the parents were to ignore it? tell off the child? pretend it doesnt exist.. - well, that would lead to a rather worse situation... - trans people have an over 60% chance of depression.. over 40% of trans people in america try and kill themselves.. etc. etc. - theres no need to eleaborate on why its bad for a transperson to not be allowed to be treated.. - it leads to all sorts of crap, and a very very miserable life..

-- but then, as most people on this thread love to go on and on, about something they know little about.. you can kind of understand why..
Original post by eelnais
Well, for starters, it wouldn't be for the rest of her life if when she became a teenager she realised that she wanted to be a boy again. But right now this is what she wants. When I was four, I liked wearing dresses and having plaits in my hair and the colour pink. I called myself a girl. Why can't she do the same? It isn't harming her, or her parents. Only other people who want to criticise her are creating the issue here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they say surgery, I imagine they mean removal of the penis, I very much doubt they can just superglue it back on.
Original post by Heavenly_Blues
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they say surgery, I imagine they mean removal of the penis, I very much doubt they can just superglue it back on.

you are correct, transgender sugery is not reversable..

For a transwoman, post sugery... to go back - they would have to have near the same sugery as a transman has to have.. (artificially created penis out of skin from another part of the body etc..) + firtility is irreviersable for obvious reasons.

- that said: if she is diagnosed as suffering from GD (gender dyshporia, under the DSM-V) by medical proffesionals (would have to see 2-3 doctors and psychiatrists, over a period of years, for sugery to be possible) - then who are we to say differently. those doctors, who knew her, spent a long time with her, and diagnosed her.. are the only ones who can judge whether she does have this condition or not..
Reply 75
Original post by Heavenly_Blues

You're right. However, she hasn't had the surgery yet and wouldn't do until doctors felt she was ready for it, likely at age eighteen.
Reply 76
Original post by eelnais
If she wants to identify as a girl, I think it would be more wrong for the parents to ban that. It's stupid to say they should be locked up for allowing her to be who she wants.

How is any eleven year old supposed to know what they want? Until your about 16, your parents make all kinds of decisions for you.

If kids were allowed to do what they want, half of them would be dead from sticking forks in electric sockets, or be unable to walk because they didn't stop eating chocolate or things like gum disease.

I'm all for equal rights for everyone, but kids simply aren't ready to make decisions that affect the entirety of their life.
She obviously hasn't had surgery or hormones. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal at that age, and if you look at the slide show she looks like a boy, suggesting no hormonal treatment.

I do sometimes wonder if constantly telling this girl that she is indeed a girl and should be proud of herself is actually the best thing. Something set into you that early won't go away. If she eventually has surgery to become a woman, she'll never look like a woman and she won't biologically be a woman. When medicine is not advanced enough to change someone's sex to a satisfactory degree, people should really consider - will you be more unhappy living as the wrong gender, or living as a crude approximation of the right gender?

I'm not sure an 11 year old can really comprehend the loneliness she probably has in store. She might find it hard to make friends now, but after puberty she will look far less like a girl and her peers will be far less accepting. Primary school kids are probably the most accepting people - it changes from then on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending