The Student Room Group

Speech development in children

I am currently writing a story. In it, one of the characters (about 10-11 years old) has been isolated for about half of the first five years of his life, then has barely spoken to anybody since. How would this affect his speech?
It could be good to speak to a speech and language therapist, however, this gives quite a nice breakdown of developmental speech stages: https://speechandlanguage.org.uk/talking-point/parents/ages-and-stages/
Hope it helps!
Children generally have an optimum time frame for first language acquisition (up to around 5 years old, some research says it can be higher) and after this it is much harder to acquire language. They may struggle with their social interaction, understanding, vocabulary, formation of sentences, speech sounds etc.

One particular famous psychology case study on this is "Genie" where a child was kept in a locked room from about 20 months with limited interaction. She was only found and 'saved' from abuse when she was about 13 so massively missed out on language acquisition. Her language was very minimal. Have a look into that case, there will be many other cases too unfortunately I'm sure.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Children generally have an optimum time frame for first language acquisition (up to around 5 years old, some research says it can be higher) and after this it is much harder to acquire language. They may struggle with their social interaction, understanding, vocabulary, formation of sentences, speech sounds etc.

One particular famous psychology case study on this is "Genie" where a child was kept in a locked room from about 20 months with limited interaction. She was only found and 'saved' from abuse when she was about 13 so massively missed out on language acquisition. Her language was very minimal. Have a look into that case, there will be many other cases too unfortunately I'm sure.

Thanks for this :smile:
I have seen this many times though because I do psychology -_-
Are there any other case studies similar to this one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending