The Student Room Group

Can't pay tuition fees for this year..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
I know at my Uni it states that you are unable to use it against tuition fees regardless of the situation. Which is why I pointed OP to the SU because they will know loopholes regarding a CPR year or charities that may be able to help cover the costs.

Ah I see. It's probably uni specific. SU sounds like a good idea to me too. After all, it's what they're there for.
Original post by TBT
Ah I see. It's probably uni specific. SU sounds like a good idea to me too. After all, it's what they're there for.

I only knew because I nearly had to self-fund a year. Luckily our SU found a loophole and I avoided all the stress! Uni's see it as you entered into a contract knowing you have to pay fees and hence should have the provisions to pay them.

The ALF is there to make up the shortfall between loan and survival especially in certain groups such as disabled students, final years and students with dependents meaning that you don't have to drop out for fear of homelessness and starvation - hence allowing 'access' into HE where it would otherwise not be possible.
Reply 22
Is there a restriction on how many years the Student Loans Company pay out for? As I'm considering an inclusive masters but have taken a year out due to health so would be a 5 year degree say. Anyone have any guidance on this?
Original post by inspiration91
I'm in a bit of an awkward place so please let me know if you've got some advice.

I started university X in 2010 to do Medicine and got my loan for that year. I failed the year (mitigating circumstances) and was told I could attend second year while my appeal was being dealt with. Just before Christmas I was told my appeal was unsuccessful and had to leave.

Started at university Y in 2012 (for a 3 year degree) and the Student's Loan Company are saying that because I've has 2 years worth of fees already, I am not allowed this year's tuition fee loan (everyone is allowed 4 years so I would get the loan for the final two years.)

University X only got paid the tuition fees for year 1 and nothing for year 2, so I've only been granted 1 year of tuition fees so far.

Now it seems I have to find 9k by myself as my parents can't afford it.

This seems really unfair as the only reason they say I've had 2 years of fee loans is because it's "on record" that I attended uni X for 2 years.

What do I do? :s-smilie:

EDIT: Thank you for all the helpful replies, I'm really grateful :smile:

Just some additional information: I failed first year due to personal problems at the time and appealed using these reasons. They recognised this however the ultimate reason for them asking me to leave is because I didn't submit a mitigating circumstances form (which I didn't submit because I didn't understand I had to and general naivety)

Also I am doing really well in my degree at the moment (Biological Sciences) and am getting an average of 85%ish at the moment! So I really really don't want to have to leave :frown:

your best bet is CPR with student finance england i am in exactly the same situation as you,

This is the single biggest problem with the tuition fee increase, if it was 3300 it would probably be a non issue.

Remember that your CPR must state WHY you had to leave uni, and SPECIFIC dates showing that this occurred during the academic year, I think SFE are quite anal about dates.

As i am sure you are aware, simply saying you had the flu would not be sufficient, it has to have had a SIGNIFICANT impact on your ability to complete your studies.

Make sure you show your evidence to members of staff at uni 'y' welfare officer / student support / personal tutor. etc prior to submitting a formal application.

best of luck
Original post by Zenzic
Is there a restriction on how many years the Student Loans Company pay out for? As I'm considering an inclusive masters but have taken a year out due to health so would be a 5 year degree say. Anyone have any guidance on this?

this is the formula used.

duration of any first degree + 1 gift year

so yes you should be fine.

provided that you initially started a 4year MA program
Reply 25
Original post by rickpatel89
this is the formula used.

duration of any first degree + 1 gift year

so yes you should be fine.

provided that you initially started a 4year MA program

Brilliant thanks, Yes I initially did but then transferred off (didn't inform loans company) but now back on.

Ta for the info
Reply 26
Original post by OU Student
Do you have compelling personal reasons (CPR) for failing your first year? That would include things like illness, death of a close relative, etc.

Original post by jelly1000
if you can provide evidence of the mitigating circumstances you had in your first year you should be able to get an extra years funding

Original post by catoswyn
Appeal to Student Finance using their mitigating circumstances form. However usually they do ask for documentary evidence of some kind which must be from the time in question ie. doctor's records etc. They can wipe off one year of attendance ( and yes they do use attendance rather than funding as their criteria... ie. if you did a whole degree and paid for yourself all the way through they would still consider you had used up your entitlement to funding from them).

Good luck.

:smile:

Thank you for your replies :smile:

In first year I had a lot of emotional/mental strain due to my relationship at the time and my parents being unsupportive. This led to me unable to get out of bed in the morning, not being able to sleep etc and consequently I missed a lot of contact time at uni. I ended up seeing a counsellor who wrote a letter in support of my appeal, stating that I was moderately depressed, but I haven't got a copy of this letter. I've tried to contact him but he stopped working at the uni around that time! :frown:

This letter would be relevant evidence to send to SF right? I believe uni X has a copy of it so I guess I could contact them to obtain a copy?

Original post by TBT
Hi. I can see you're in a bit of a messy situation.

One thing I thought of is the access to learning fund which you might be able to access if your uni has such a fund and if you are eligible. It's supposed to be for circumstances like this I think (where you are in financial hardship and have nowhere to turn). Seems like something you should look into. More info here (and presumably on your uni website): https://www.gov.uk/access-to-learning-fund/overview

I've asked about this fund and the welfare officer said that it is just for living costs unfortunately
Original post by inspiration91
Thank you for your replies :smile:

In first year I had a lot of emotional/mental strain due to my relationship at the time and my parents being unsupportive. This led to me unable to get out of bed in the morning, not being able to sleep etc and consequently I missed a lot of contact time at uni. I ended up seeing a counsellor who wrote a letter in support of my appeal, stating that I was moderately depressed, but I haven't got a copy of this letter. I've tried to contact him but he stopped working at the uni around that time! :frown:

This letter would be relevant evidence to send to SF right? I believe uni X has a copy of it so I guess I could contact them to obtain a copy?

I've asked about this fund and the welfare officer said that it is just for living costs unfortunately

i cant be 100% as im not the person who assesses but that sounds like the kind of thing that would help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending