The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natnalie
Yeah I found question 3 hard. How did you guys answer it

I basically wrote crap :/ I wish they'd given us more information! How did u find the other questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found question 1 hard but maybe that was just me ): how did u answer it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by firebolt
I guessed it all! I had no idea, I knew some colours individually not mixed together, and I may have known the second part if they gave us the test not just a load of white precipitates.

How was it compared to previous years? More mole calculations, or more general knowledge?
Reply 23
Original post by Big-Daddy
How was it compared to previous years? More mole calculations, or more general knowledge?

I didn't do many past papers so I couldn't tell you. I would say it was about half and half.
Original post by firebolt
I didn't do many past papers so I couldn't tell you. I would say it was about half and half.

And there were questions on identification (flame colours, precipitate colours, etc.)? Weird, they've never done it before!

Was there any pure general knowledge like last year (e.g. "what's the formula for laughing gas")?
Reply 25
Original post by geor
Tons of calculations. Hardly any general knowledge!

Found it quite difficult ): !
Reply 26
Do you think a Year 12 will be at a disadvantage going into this year's exam? That's to ask, was it mostly Chem 4 and 5!? Eeeeeeek!

Original post by geor
Tons of calculations. Hardly any general knowledge!
Were they mostly A2 calculations? Just wondering because I'm in Year 12 and I think I might be at a major disadvantage!
Reply 27
Original post by annielyn
Do you think a Year 12 will be at a disadvantage going into this year's exam? That's to ask, was it mostly Chem 4 and 5!? Eeeeeeek!

Were they mostly A2 calculations? Just wondering because I'm in Year 12 and I think I might be at a major disadvantage!

I'm in Y12 and I had a go - I could do maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of it and had fun coming up with guesses for the rest of it. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Claree
I'm in Y12 and I had a go - I could do maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of it and had fun coming up with guesses for the rest of it. :smile:

With the certificate boundaries where they are you make it sound not too bad actually! :tongue: :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by geor
I am in year 12 and all the calculations were fine with AS knowledge maybe bar one 1-2 mark question.

Really?! What a relief!

Original post by geor
It was a much more doable paper in terms of the knowledge needed from A2 than say, last years.
Is that a reference to the calculations or it all? And would you say doing the previous papers help a ton or not?

Thanks for the replies, hope you guys get what you want out of it!! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by geor
Generally it all, but also the calculations! Obviously there were things that were A2 but you wouldn't need to do them to get a good mark!!

I definitely think the past papers are helpful as even if you don't learn anything relevant, they do help you adapt to the "applying" approach of answering questions!

Good luck!

I agree, past papers develop ur technique.
By the way what did u think of question 2?
Last years was much nicer imho. The calculations this time were a bit more vague and it was rather ambiguous in places.
Reply 32
Can anybody post any questions they remember because I have my teachers solutions to all the questions.Z...?..I want to create an unofficial mark scheme
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by >Untitled<
do you guys know what the boundaries are for levels? like how many marks for a bronze, silver, gold etc?

Yes, roughly 23/80 for bronze, 30/80 for silver and 38/80 for gold. I did it last year and got 50/80 so my paper had to be sent for remarking as all papers in the top 60 or so do. The top 50 get through to the next round.
Reply 34
Original post by Silverland
Last years was much nicer imho. The calculations this time were a bit more vague and it was rather ambiguous in places.

Definitely more diffcicult, also I wished it were more based on a2 stuff. Which questions did u struggle on.?
Just did it today, I found the first two questions fairly straightforward but after that things went seriously downhill...
Original post by yoyo1994
Can anybody post any questions they remember because I have my teachers solutions to all the questions.Z...?..I want to create an unofficial mark scheme

Are there still people to do it, or was today the last day. I do have the question paper so I will post some questions if I am allowed to
Reply 37
Original post by Internet Troll
Are there still people to do it, or was today the last day. I do have the question paper so I will post some questions if I am allowed to

Just post the questions, my teacher said everyone would hav done it by now
Reply 38
Original post by geor
I can assure you they haven't! I know people doing it next week!
Do you want people to be at an advantage?

The final date is Tuesday 12th February.
Original post by natninja
Yes, roughly 23/80 for bronze, 30/80 for silver and 38/80 for gold. I did it last year and got 50/80 so my paper had to be sent for remarking as all papers in the top 60 or so do. The top 50 get through to the next round.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. It can't all have been marked yet so there won't be any boundaries for this year, and for most years it's a lot higher than 38/80 for Gold. If you got 50/80 then just looking at stats for last year you weren't in the top 60 but rather in the top 220. And the top 20 get into the next round approximately, I think ... get the facts straight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending