The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Bismarck
Note how the non-Western inventions dried up more than half a millennium ago.

This is just daft. I mean seriously. Japan is western? How about China, India and Korea?

Heck, even Iran has a quite decent science record, despite being a brutal theocracy with little regard for human rights.

Seriously...
Reply 81
kb500

The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana...

Well, seeing that Pi is an irrational number, no algorithm can provide its value within a finite period of time. Long story short, the value of Pi has never been calculated. This does of course not mean that there are no reasonable aproximations around, such as 347, 10 , 3, 3.14 or 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592

All of the above are reasonable aproximations of pi, depending on the desired accuracy, but none are the exact value.
Reply 82
SolInvictus
India, while it may not have been more advanced than Britain or France in the year 1800, was at least on par with them until around 1750, before the Carnatic/ Seven Years War. Britain had a presence in India dating back to the early 1600s, but was not able to establish a firm foothold until the Battle of Plassey. The fact that Britain gained control of India speaks more of the terrible situation in India at the time. Both the Maratha and Mughal Empires had collapsed leaving India a pathcwork of feudal states and Principalities, with the odd regional power here and there. India was by all accounts in a state of semi-civil-war for at least 100 years before the Battle of Plassey. In fact this state of affairs left Indians actually asking the British to invade despotates and liberate them, as did occur with the Battle of Plassey.

Once again, Britain couldn't invade all of India earlier simply due to problems with manpower. Until Britain was sufficiently more advanced than India, it couldn't hope to use its tiny army to conquer one of the most heavily populated areas in the world. From roughly the year 1500, the West has been experiencing economic growth (it didn't become very visible until the 18th century though), while this was not the case in the rest of the world. Fundamentally, there was very little change in the lives of most non-Westerners from long before 1500 until they were conquered or "visisted" in other ways by Western countries.

Quoi?

When you have an Indian, Chinese, or what have you move to the West and discover something there, surely it's silly to credit India or China with that invention? Presumably the person thought (or knew) that only Western society would be capable of best utilizing their skills.

Jonatan
This is just daft. I mean seriously. Japan is western? How about China, India and Korea?

Heck, even Iran has a quite decent science record, despite being a brutal theocracy with little regard for human rights.

Seriously...

Japan is a border-line case since it adopted Western technology (and in many cases, Western values) in order to move forward. South Korea had some successes, but it's still far behind any major Western country. I don't know why you'd even mention China, which is behind the West in just about every technological field and has been for the past half a millennium.
Britain rules.
Reply 84
gas_panic!
Britain rules.

True, too many darkies though.
Reply 85
Bismark, I would be concerned that your idea of teaching history as facts rather than teaching students to analyse sources, when combined with seeing it as necessary to citizenship, causes the problem of the politcisation of history. This is particularly important as many Americans I talk to seem to see world history very differently from people in Europe (particularly their own history). Also, I would be dubious about how well it is being run as several recent, if fairly light-hearted, surveys seem to show Americans often have very limited understandings of other countries.

Also, your list of things that people should know about included both the American Revolution and Civil War, but not the Russian Revolution which I would consider at least, probably far more, important to the general study of history.
Reply 86
Mercer
Bismark, I would be concerned that your idea of teaching history as facts rather than teaching students to analyse sources, when combined with seeing it as necessary to citizenship, causes the problem of the politcisation of history. This is particularly important as many Americans I talk to seem to see world history very differently from people in Europe (particularly their own history). Also, I would be dubious about how well it is being run as several recent, if fairly light-hearted, surveys seem to show Americans often have very limited understandings of other countries.

Also, your list of things that people should know about included both the American Revolution and Civil War, but not the Russian Revolution which I would consider at least, probably far more, important to the general study of history.

There isn't enough time to teach both the facts and the way to analyze sources, and if someone is to know only one of the two, I'd prefer they knew the facts. Now obviously much of history is in dispute, and there is no definitive way to organize the study of it. But that does not mean that students shouldn't be taught the basics first, and if they have enough interest to pursue history at uni level, be taught historiography at that point. The reason most Americans don't know their history is because passing history classes entails getting 2/3 of multiple choice questions right on most exams, not due to the content of the classes.

The American Revolution produced a superpower that still exists 230 years later, while the Russian Revolution produced a superpower that disintegrated. Anyway, I was listing some of the things that should be taught but aren't. I wasn't going for a comprehensive list.
Reply 87
Bismarck
There isn't enough time to teach both the facts and the way to analyze sources,

Not really. I'm studying IB History, for example, and we manage both quite well. Learning how to analyze sources is not that difficult, and it mostly depends on the method of teaching. If you teach history the way that encourages discussion and include a few lessons dedicated to analyzation of sources and the period in general, it's quite possible to teach both, especially if the course span is several years.

Teaching facts, especially limited collection of facts, doesn't lead anywhere if you lack the understanding of what they were good for, and the general bigger picture to put them into context. Analysis is interconnected with mere facts, and is probably more important.
Reply 88
Bismarck
There isn't enough time to teach both the facts and the way to analyze sources, and if someone is to know only one of the two, I'd prefer they knew the facts. Now obviously much of history is in dispute, and there is no definitive way to organize the study of it. But that does not mean that students shouldn't be taught the basics first, and if they have enough interest to pursue history at uni level, be taught historiography at that point. The reason most Americans don't know their history is because passing history classes entails getting 2/3 of multiple choice questions right on most exams, not due to the content of the classes.
Problem is, teaching 'facts' is probably inevitably biased in many cases.

The very fact that classes are tested by multiple choice shows the shallowness of this approach: are these just 'facts' like dates and figures, or do you get questions like 'which of these factors was a proximate cause cause of the American Revolution?

Bismarck
The American Revolution produced a superpower that still exists 230 years later, while the Russian Revolution produced a superpower that disintegrated. Anyway, I was listing some of the things that should be taught but aren't. I wasn't going for a comprehensive list.
But the Russian Revolution has had all sorts of knock on effects.

I just thought your list showed a rather American and to a degree West European bias.
Reply 89
Mercer

This is exactly the point I am getting at through my original post, if students are taught what the "facts" are and in addition not given the analytical skills to try and discern the reliability and context of these facts then there is something very wrong with the way history is being taught.

The very fact that classes are tested by multiple choice shows the shallowness of this approach: are these just 'facts' like dates and figures, or do you get questions like 'which of these factors was a proximate cause cause of the American Revolution?

I just thought your list showed a rather American and to a degree West European bias.

Unfortunately this tends to be Bismarck's way, some of the comments made by him earlier on in this thread are frankly ridiculous. For example saying that Japan is a borderline case with regards to whether it should be considered Western. The justification for this being that they used Western technologies. Yet when the same argument is applied by saying that the current advancements made in the West are based on a whole variety of innovations made in other parts of the World he claims that this is of little significance, a very blinkered view.
Reply 90
Bismarck
Note how the non-Western inventions dried up more than half a millennium ago.

Half a millennium isn't that long ago. Just a 'sneeze in time'.

*Achoo* ooh, look - half a millennium just went by.
Reply 91
mmmmm...chocolate!
Reply 92
baghee
Not really. I'm studying IB History, for example, and we manage both quite well. Learning how to analyze sources is not that difficult, and it mostly depends on the method of teaching. If you teach history the way that encourages discussion and include a few lessons dedicated to analyzation of sources and the period in general, it's quite possible to teach both, especially if the course span is several years.

Teaching facts, especially limited collection of facts, doesn't lead anywhere if you lack the understanding of what they were good for, and the general bigger picture to put them into context. Analysis is interconnected with mere facts, and is probably more important.

I think it's fairly obvious that most people don't have the talent or the willpower to take IB classes, and for all intents and purposes, those classes are at near university level. Sure, when you have a small class of students that are dedicated to learning history, you'll be able to teach them quite a lot. But that isn't the case in most classrooms.

I'm sorry, but most people will never have to use that type of analysis for the rest of their lives. As much as I'd like for all people to question their sources and the type of bias involved, it just isn't practical to have everyone learn that skill.
Reply 93
Mercer

So what? Everything is biased to some extent. There usually is some kind of a consensus on historical events (it's much harder to find it for more recent events, which is why recent history is rarely taught), and if there isn't, students can be taught that there are two possible explanations for the events. They don't need to be taught why a structuralist approach is likely to lead to different conclusions than an individualist one.

No, that shows the sad state of the American primary and secondary education systems. One can teach thorough explanations of events without stooping to the lowest common of denominator of simply teaching dates and names. You usually get the latter type of questions, but there are obviously usually more than 4-5 factors contributing to an event and many have importance nuances that a multiple choice question misses.

I think people in Iraq and Afghanistan right now would make the same case. As I said, the effects of the Russian Revolution wore off after 70 years; American revolution is still having a significant effect in world affairs.

That's because I was listing the type of information a typical British student wouldn't know. Why would I include something that usually is taught in Britain?

kb500
This is exactly the point I am getting at through my original post, if students are taught what the "facts" are and in addition not given the analytical skills to try and discern the reliability and context of these facts then there is something very wrong with the way history is being taught.

One can show the facts without doing so from an entirely Western perspective. I said the consensus view of history should be taught, and I doubt you'll get a historical consensus suggesting that everything worthwhile originated in the West.

[
Unfortunately this tends to be Bismarck's way, some of the comments made by him earlier on in this thread are frankly ridiculous. For example saying that Japan is a borderline case with regards to whether it should be considered Western. The justification for this being that they used Western technologies. Yet when the same argument is applied by saying that the current advancements made in the West are based on a whole variety of innovations made in other parts of the World he claims that this is of little significance, a very blinkered view.

That's a case often made by the Japanese themselves, so you can hardly dismiss it out of hand. Japan didn't simply borrow a few technologies from the West and improved on them; it borrowed everything, including Western culture (thus baseball is the most popular sport in Japan, despite no one having heard of it before 1945).

And considering that I was born in the former USSR, you can hardly accuse me of being biased towards the Western "race".
Reply 94
Bismarck
I think it's fairly obvious that most people don't have the talent or the willpower to take IB classes, and for all intents and purposes, those classes are at near university level. Sure, when you have a small class of students that are dedicated to learning history, you'll be able to teach them quite a lot. But that isn't the case in most classrooms.

I'm sorry, but most people will never have to use that type of analysis for the rest of their lives. As much as I'd like for all people to question their sources and the type of bias involved, it just isn't practical to have everyone learn that skill.

I'm sorry but after studying in three different systems of teaching history (at least to some extend), I have come to conclusion that teaching facts doesn't lead absolutely anywhere. Such system ensures that the students will forget all they learned pretty quickly (for it's awful lot to rememeber), don't know how to employ this knowledge in everyday life and lack any kind of general picture of history as such. If you think that learning how to analyze things is useless, how is knowing randfom facts without being aware of any relationship with the rest of history and the world any better?

If you are foing to learn history anyway, you might well learn it in a way that is remotely useful.
Reply 95
baghee
I'm sorry but after studying in three different systems of teaching history (at least to some extend), I have come to conclusion that teaching facts doesn't lead absolutely anywhere. Such system ensures that the students will forget all they learned pretty quickly (for it's awful lot to rememeber), don't know how to employ this knowledge in everyday life and lack any kind of general picture of history as such. If you think that learning how to analyze things is useless, how is knowing randfom facts without being aware of any relationship with the rest of history and the world any better?

If you are foing to learn history anyway, you might well learn it in a way that is remotely useful.

That's a problem with any class and any type of teaching though. I'm fairly sure I'll forget whatever it is I learned about Der Derian and his brand of postmodernism within a few weeks of my exams. You just have to try to present the information in an interesting and prefeable interactive way. Have different people take the roles of the different countries in WWI for instance. I think that will go much further than telling them that Professor X believes that Austria didn't want war for reason A, Professor Y thinks that Austria wanted war for reason B, and Professor Z claiming that countries don't think about their long term prospects. It's useful information, but not something that more 17-year-olds will comprehend. In fact, instead of memorizing dates and names, you'll have them memorize the dates of publication and the names of professors.

You should first know what happened before you can learn from it.
Reply 96
Bismarck
That's a problem with any class and any type of teaching though. I'm fairly sure I'll forget whatever it is I learned about Der Derian and his brand of postmodernism within a few weeks of my exams. You just have to try to present the information in an interesting and prefeable interactive way. Have different people take the roles of the different countries in WWI for instance. I think that will go much further than telling them that Professor X believes that Austria didn't want war for reason A, Professor Y thinks that Austria wanted war for reason B, and Professor Z claiming that countries don't think about their long term prospects. It's useful information, but not something that more 17-year-olds will comprehend. In fact, instead of memorizing dates and names, you'll have them memorize the dates of publication and the names of professors.

You should first know what happened before you can learn from it.

Yes, but that's not what's happening. And that's not what's going to happen. Only people that are able to analyze the situation to suffiecient level of understnading, for example, would be able to take a part in such a role-play. Otherwise all their going to learn is that they foung gainst Mark and Jill and lost the war.

there's much more to ability to analyze the sources than learning names of famous historians. In fact, the key word should be "analysis" here. It's not about knowing what certian people think about it, it's about making your own opinion about what happened and learning how to back it up by facts. The things you distinguish is date of publication (contemporary or modern), background of the author (which doesn't have to have anything to do with he name of some professor), place of publication (was it censored or not) and stuff like that. No specific names or dates. It aims to encourage students to think about what happened themselves instead of relying on one author or interpretation.

Analysis and knowledge about facts is interrelated and it's hard to teach one without the other effectively. But if the students are not expected to come up with an opinion or analyze the validity of various views, they might well not learn anything for they will never know what to do with it.
Reply 97
Bismarck
So what? Everything is biased to some extent. There usually is some kind of a consensus on historical events (it's much harder to find it for more recent events, which is why recent history is rarely taught), and if there isn't, students can be taught that there are two possible explanations for the events. They don't need to be taught why a structuralist approach is likely to lead to different conclusions than an individualist one.
But if you connect history with citizenship, this bias becomes a political issue.

I would say citizenship is better served by understanding how to dissect and criticise.

Bismarck
No, that shows the sad state of the American primary and secondary education systems. One can teach thorough explanations of events without stooping to the lowest common of denominator of simply teaching dates and names. You usually get the latter type of questions, but there are obviously usually more than 4-5 factors contributing to an event and many have importance nuances that a multiple choice question misses.
I'm just wondering how many things can be gone into at a deep level if you want to cover lots of facts.

Bismarck
I think people in Iraq and Afghanistan right now would make the same case. As I said, the effects of the Russian Revolution wore off after 70 years; American revolution is still having a significant effect in world affairs.
The situation of Iraq and Afghanistan is totally bound up with the Russian Revolution.

Bismarck
That's because I was listing the type of information a typical British student wouldn't know. Why would I include something that usually is taught in Britain?
The Russian Revolution is taught less than WWII etc.
Bismarck
There isn't enough time to teach both the facts and the way to analyze sources, and if someone is to know only one of the two, I'd prefer they knew the facts.

Facts are dull and over-rated. History's only interesting with healthy amounts of D & D.
Bismarck

Those skills are transferable, that's the whole point. Anyone can rote learn a list of facts; not everyone can think about things in the right way, draw links, explore possible explanations for events. The analysis learnt through the study of history is a life skill, and not just for historians.

Latest

Trending

Trending