The Student Room Group

Need Help! Starting to Stress!

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing the following A levels:
ICT
Economics
Biology
PE
GCSE's: 1C 6B's 2A's
When I was in year 11 I wanted to pursue a sports science degree (which is why I chose pe/bio), but there are lacking numbers of jobs. I then looked at my other options: economics and ICT. These are useful for degrees in business or marketing. However, now I'm being told that too many people do degrees in business and they are becoming useless :confused:. Can anyone PLEASE give me on some advice as of what you think I should do or any other courses available that my a levels suit?
I hope to drop PE if I want to pursue a businessy degree or drop ICT if I pursue a sporty degree. Expecting between 280-320 tarrif end of y13.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by NumberSeven
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing the following A levels:
ICT
Economics
Biology
PE
GCSE's: 1C 6B's 2A's
When I was in year 11 I wanted to pursue a sports science degree (which is why I chose pe/bio), but there are lacking numbers of jobs. I then looked at my other options: economics and ICT. These are useful for degrees in business or marketing. However, now I'm being told that too many people do degrees in business and they are becoming useless :confused:. Can anyone PLEASE give me on some advice as of what you think I should do or any other courses available that my a levels suit?
I hope to drop PE if I want to pursue a businessy degree or drop ICT if I pursue a sporty degree. Expecting between 280-320 tarrif end of y13.

The only courses that have jobs in the subject at the end of them are vocational courses. Both business type degrees and sports degrees are non vocational. Vocational degrees are ones like engineering, medicine, nursing, dentistry.

With a non vocational degree you get a job in something else. Not all graduates can expect to get a job that needs someone with a degree. Some people with degrees have to accept that they may get the same level job as other people who do not have a degree. Nothing is guaranteed.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, you could consider an apprenticeship.
Reply 2
Original post by draghm
The only courses that have jobs in the subject at the end of them are vocational courses. Both business type degrees and sports degrees are non vocational. Vocational degrees are ones like engineering, medicine, nursing, dentistry.

With a non vocational degree you get a job in something else. Not all graduates can expect to get a job that needs someone with a degree. Some people with degrees have to accept that they may get the same level job as other people who do not have a degree. Nothing is guaranteed.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, you could consider an apprenticeship.

Well no, not necessarily, with a sports science degree you can do a PGCE and obtain a solid teaching job. If you do not have a degree you can't do that. Business degrees are useful if you get a 2:1 or above because there are businesses all over and surely they all need people to work in them. I would have a higher chance applying with a business degree than someone with no degree. Apprenticeships in the UK now? People with degrees will have taken all of the jobs. All teachers in my school say more and more people are getting degrees and therefore, degrees are almost essential.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Well no, not necessarily, with a sports science degree you can do a PGCE and obtain a solid teaching job. If you do not have a degree you can't do that. Business degrees are useful if you get a 2:1 or above because there are businesses all over and surely they all need people to work in them. I would have a higher chance applying with a business degree than someone with no degree. Apprenticeships in the UK now? People with degrees will have taken all of the jobs. All teachers in my school say more and more people are getting degrees and therefore, degrees are almost essential.

If everyone has a degree doesn't that also devalue them?
Reply 4
Yes for certain degrees but getting a degree is harder than an apprenticeship so jobs will be looking more for degrees
Have you considered going into a job instead? You can probably have more success in working your way up the ladder for 3 years than doing a degree that you're unsure about. Just a suggestion :smile: If you're really set on Uni then think about taking up maths next year and dropping one of the others. With maths you can do pretty much anything!
Reply 6
Yes for certain degrees but getting a degree is harder than an apprenticeship so jobs will be looking more for degrees

An apprenticeship leads to a job that you are an apprentice in, so just because something appears to be harder to do doesn't mean that it will be more desirable to employers.
For example if there are lots of jobs for plumbers and lots of people training to be plumbers someone with a degree in Business isn't going to be as interesting to an employer as a fully qualified plumber.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending