The Student Room Group

What to do when confronted by aggressive driver?

Scroll to see replies

In cases of road rage, either they're being a ****, or you're being a ****. If you're being a ****, stop being a ****. If they're being a ****, middle finger.
Reply 61
Having a BMW does not mean you are wealthy people. I see teens driving new fords and other crappy tins with wheels. These cost a lot more than most of the used bmw's on the roads these days :wink: Some bmw drivers are ****ers, as are some VW, vauxhall, ford, ****ron, bentley, audi etcetcetcetcetc. You get the idea.

If it was me getting followed like that and raged at, I would have made sure to escape quickly, stopping is probably worse, you'll just be a sitting duck. There's no point of fighting these ****ers, let them get on with it.

I had a "tuned" up golf try to overtake me on the wrong side of the road today, alas my engine was too big for his puny 1.6. Rage is everywhere.
We cyclists get that behavior all the time. Best thing to do is shut up, stand your ground, try and memorize as much info as you can and go to the police.
Reply 63
Today I actually had a bus driver come out of nowhere in the wrong lane when I was waiting to turn right at lights and get in front of me. Don't know how he didn't scrape my bumper. ****ing ****er.
I am hoping the guy who followed me will turn up and post here, so that I can give him a proper telling off.
Reply 65
Original post by Nunkey
Having a BMW does not mean you are wealthy people. I see teens driving new fords and other crappy tins with wheels. These cost a lot more than most of the used bmw's on the roads these days :wink: Some bmw drivers are ****ers, as are some VW, vauxhall, ford, ****ron, bentley, audi etcetcetcetcetc. You get the idea.

If it was me getting followed like that and raged at, I would have made sure to escape quickly, stopping is probably worse, you'll just be a sitting duck. There's no point of fighting these ****ers, let them get on with it.

I had a "tuned" up golf try to overtake me on the wrong side of the road today, alas my engine was too big for his puny 1.6. Rage is everywhere.

hahaha 'puny 1.6', made me laugh :P ive only got a one litre but its enough for now i guess :wink: What car do you have out of interest?? :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by Izzyeviel
We cyclists get that behavior all the time. Best thing to do is shut up, stand your ground, try and memorize as much info as you can and go to the police.

Which is exactly why I ride with a helmet cam now :biggrin: Best 125 quid I ever spent.
Original post by sabian92
Which is exactly why I ride with a helmet cam now :biggrin: Best 125 quid I ever spent.

Do people get prosecutions with those things? I mean, can they be used as evidence in court?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I had a situation driving my mini near Oxford the other day and I thought I would ask people's thoughts. Some drivers are so crazy in their behaviour. It makes me wonder is the most intelligent / useful way to act when confronted by a driver who is really worked up and is directing it at you by driving dangerously and without regard for safety?

Coming off the A34 at the Botley roundabout into Botley Rd - a driver in a BMW shot out in front of me from the sliproad as I was coming round the island towards the hill down to Botley Rd. He literally missed me by inches and wasn't looking at all. He was also on his phone.

I tooted at him, mainly out of shock and he reacted by slamming his breaks on in front of me, which was quite scary. I tried to go around him and at first he let me - then he caught up with me on Botley Rd and was doing things like pushing his car in front of me, shaking his fists and generally looking aggressive. He nearly hit another driver and that guy got angry and blocked him off and they started yelling at each other - I managed to slip off. Then he managed to get away from that argument and was weaving dangerously up Botley Rd behind me, trying to catch up. Eventually I managed to turn into St Aldates and pulled up outside the police station - he drove past shaking his fists at me and swearing out of the window. I didn't make a report as I didn't manage to get his registration (I was scared and concentrating on trying to get away) but maybe I should have done anyway.

What are the best things to do in this type of situation?

Obviously I might not have honked at him, but that was kind of a panic reaction thing, his sudden appearance out of the sliproad really shocked me.

I think the way you react might be different from me. If you didn't want confrontation I think it's best not to aggravate him by getting out and yelling at him even though he clearly was in the wrong and the way he reacted to you honking your horn at him is completely out of order. In fact what he did was practically road rage. Next time I would try and get his registration and make a complaint to the police. I would also try and get a photo of his car and paste it all over the goddam internet. That's pretty much what I'd do. Of course I'd also make sure he could hear me telling him to go **** himself. I wouldn't do anything more though.
I had something like this the other day. Not as scary as yours, but unnecessary - I beeped them for pulling out in front of me, they got angry and started doing the braking thing. Didn't follow me though.

I think some people are just naturally aggressive drivers and they get pissed off if someone dares suggest they did something wrong :p:

You did the right thing by staying calm.. and inadvertently driving to a police station.

As for the whole BMW & Audi thing.. I'd have to agree. Most of the tossers I've come across drive one or the other.
My dad used to own an Audi (company car - all the stereotypes are coming out now) and he would drive really rather aggressively. I was once in the car with him and he was in the fast lane of a dual carriageway. Some way ahead of us, a car had pulled into the fast lane to overtake another car. He was doing ~75, my dad was doing probably ~90.
What did my dad do? He didn't slow down until the very last second and then flashed his headlights when the other car didn't overtake fast enough.

I had a massive go at him for that :p: I told him that people have done that to me before and it's quite scary having someone right up your backside when you're going that fast. I also pointed out that how would he like it if I was the one driving the car in front and someone did that to me? I know he'd go all angry / protective father.

He's calmed down since then. And actually no longer owns the Audi.
Reply 70
Do people get prosecutions with those things? I mean, can they be used as evidence in court?

Indeed, if somebody tries to run you over or shoves you with their car or anything else it is considered evidence if it comes to trial.

Of course, it can't be tampered with or edited but the raw footage is evidence and it has been used in prosecutions.

The problem is sometimes getting the Police to even bother. Some Forces aren't even that arsed which is wrong, they see it as "you're only a cyclist, you don't matter that much". Some are really good though.

If you ever need to deal with something like this - ask for a traffic officer specifically.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
Not had too many incidents of road rage.
Some little asian hot head all of about 5 foot bugger all slammed on in front of me and got out. I drove around.
He overtook me, slammed on and got out again and started storming up to my car.
I'd just changed the head gasket on the car and happened to have a 2 foot long torque wrench on the passenger seat.
I got out with the torque wrench.
Now I'm a pretty big guy... when he saw I was tooled up he started swearing at me. I just said to him "if you want a fight, you can have one, but you're going to lose so why don't you get back in your ****box and do one"
He turned around, got back in his car and buggered off.
I carried on with the day as normal. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not saying the OP was wrong. In fact I don't think she was in the wrong at all. It sounds like the other guy was completely in the wrong.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm not saying the OP was wrong. In fact I don't think she was in the wrong at all. It sounds like the other guy was completely in the wrong.

Thanks. I think it's something on reflection that I would sooner not have done, because the provocation element was obviously too much for his male ego to bear, or at least, that's how he interpreted it through the red mist. I would sooner avoid such incidents, even if I wasn't doing anything wrong. I suppose as one becomes more experienced at driving, these things become more self-controlled. I've already noticed that I am more cautious about my responses in a number of situations. For example, I don't flash my lights as freely at people as I did when I first started driving in some situations, but in others I've become more confident about flashing them, for example when indicating someone to come through a gap when I've paused to allow them to pass.

It does appear that thinking about bruised male pride and especially being aware of the temper of some older men is something that I need to factor in to my driving as a female.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks. I think it's something on reflection that I would sooner not have done, because the provocation element was obviously too much for his male ego to bear, or at least, that's how he interpreted it through the red mist. I would sooner avoid such incidents, even if I wasn't doing anything wrong. I suppose as one becomes more experienced at driving, these things become more self-controlled. I've already noticed that I am more cautious about my responses in a number of situations. For example, I don't flash my lights as freely at people as I did when I first started driving in some situations, but in others I've become more confident about flashing them, for example when indicating someone to come through a gap when I've paused to allow them to pass.

It does appear that thinking about bruised male pride and especially being aware of the temper of some older men is something that I need to factor in to my driving as a female.

I don't think you were wrong to honk your horn because that in no way gave him an excuse to act like that. It's one thing to react to someone honking at you by shooting an angry look and maybe giving the finger but for him to actually drive up along side you or try and stop you by driving in front of you and stopping, that is provocative and it's road rage.
So there is really nothing wrong with flashing your lights or honking your horn and it sounds like there was nothing wrong with you doing it in this instance.
Scary times. Hope you're ok now Hun. One of the times on a driving lesson I had some dramas similar to this, surely they could see that I was on a lesson, and some highway code is in play to be a little nicer to learners. I froze and so my driving instructor ended up taking over for the lesson. I guess these experiences are to make us more aware of different types of drivers out there. OP hopefully it has made you realise there are loads of different people out there, he should get into trouble for using his phone. My dad often beeps at people who are either smoking or on the phone whilst driving to startle them to realise they're in the wrong.

How long you been driving OP?
This is Oxford....I see this every day.

I normally jump off on the ring road exit from the A34 for the red bridge car park most mornings. So. Other end of Abingdon road.

Between the car park and the slip road Iv`e seen so many people get angry and shout abuse at each other.

Although saying this. Ive taken to only listening to the most relaxing music I can find in the car else wise I feel like getting out and throttling some people.

Personally in many situations if it came down to it id get out and give them what for. But I don't suggest you do that. I`m a 17 stone fella who doesn't really look after his appearance. People tend to back down when I throw the teddies out the pram.

In the situation there isnt a lot you could do. I think you did well. Pat on the back for that one at least. Next time do what you've done. If you cant do move because you have been blocked in. Lock your doors (modern cars will do this automatically below a certain speed) and call the police. Even that gesture of pulling your phone out of your pocket and putting it to your ear will soon bring even the angriest of people down to earth with a clout.
Original post by Quiet _One86
Scary times. Hope you're ok now Hun. One of the times on a driving lesson I had some dramas similar to this, surely they could see that I was on a lesson, and some highway code is in play to be a little nicer to learners. I froze and so my driving instructor ended up taking over for the lesson. I guess these experiences are to make us more aware of different types of drivers out there. OP hopefully it has made you realise there are loads of different people out there, he should get into trouble for using his phone. My dad often beeps at people who are either smoking or on the phone whilst driving to startle them to realise they're in the wrong.

How long you been driving OP?

Well, I passed my test a few years ago, but I've been at Uni and not needing a car through most of that time, so didn't drive much. Just got a car a few months back and so have been driving a little more, but I think I'm still "learning on the job" really.
Well, I passed my test a few years ago, but I've been at Uni and not needing a car through most of that time, so didn't drive much. Just got a car a few months back and so have been driving a little more, but I think I'm still "learning on the job" really.

Pardon the pun, hope you get back on the road a little better without any other set backs. I am a little reserved about passing my test as I am a very cautious driving - and I don't know if I could cope with what you went through..sounds silly I know.
Original post by Quiet _One86
Pardon the pun, hope you get back on the road a little better without any other set backs. I am a little reserved about passing my test as I am a very cautious driving - and I don't know if I could cope with what you went through..sounds silly I know.

I think it's understandable, it is a little nerve wracking at times - you just have to take the bad with the good I think. To be fair, incidents like the one I outlined seem to be pretty rare. I think if you go around determined not to wind up other drivers, or to get involved in pointless anger with them, you should be pretty OK. You just have to be very watchful and alert when driving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending