The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Smack
What CAD software did you guys and girls use at your university? I used Solidworks, which seems to be the most common one to use from what I have heard.

We use SolidWorks as well!

There's also Creo and AutoCAD but I haven't used those yet. Probably won't even use them though.
Original post by a10
We use SolidWorks as well!

There's also Creo and AutoCAD but I haven't used those yet. Probably won't even use them though.

My uni only had Solidworks.

What other software do you get to use? I used ANSYS for FEA and CFD. I also used Mathcad too, which was especially handy for courseworks.
Reply 1982
Original post by Smack

What other software do you get to use? I used ANSYS for FEA and CFD. I also used Mathcad too, which was especially handy for courseworks.

Umm instead of Mathcad we use MATLAB (& Simulink). In third and fourth years we can use ANSYS too (depending on what optional modules you choose, usually for CFD/FEA modules).

Recently I've used ElecNet and MagNet also, these are simulation computer packages particularly for electrical device modelling (i.e. electromagnets and all that stuff)!
Original post by jneill
So, stupid questions time, who pays the academic fees? Does accommodation come out of your (minimum) pay. And are you applying with an MEng, or BEng + MSc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The EPSRC pay the tuition fees, research equipment costs, and your stipend. I'm currently doing an MEng, but have to undertake another masters course (paid for by the EPSRC) before the PhD. Accommodation costs are your responsibility. The minimum pay you are given should cover this and other living costs. PhD students will also be allowed to apply for government loans from 2016/17 academic year according to the announced budget.

Original post by Smack
What CAD software did you guys and girls use at your university? I used Solidworks, which seems to be the most common one to use from what I have heard.

Solidworks, although our uni are now starting to teach Autodesk Inventor as well. If you do the naval theme of mech eng, you learn rhino as well. Ansys for CFD, haven't used it for FEA though. MatLab and Python for computational methods.
Original post by Like_A_G6
The EPSRC pay the tuition fees, research equipment costs, and your stipend. I'm currently doing an MEng, but have to undertake another masters course (paid for by the EPSRC) before the PhD. Accommodation costs are your responsibility. The minimum pay you are given should cover this and other living costs. PhD students will also be allowed to apply for government loans from 2016/17 academic year according to the announced budget.

Thanks.

Is it typical to have to do another Masters on top of the MEng before a PhD? Presumably you could have "saved" a year doing BEng + MSc?

Are you intending to stay in academia or go into industry when you complete your PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Thanks.

Is it typical to have to do another Masters on top of the MEng before a PhD? Presumably you could have "saved" a year doing BEng + MSc?

Are you intending to stay in academia or go into industry when you complete your PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most PhDs can be entered through completion of an MEng or even a BEng directly. Some unis like to make sure, however, that all candidates are up to the same standard and so they require the additional masters.

I will most likely be a consultant if I accept the offer of a PhD and see it through to completion. If I get a grad scheme, I may as well have not done a PhD.
Original post by a10
Umm instead of Mathcad we use MATLAB (& Simulink). In third and fourth years we can use ANSYS too (depending on what optional modules you choose, usually for CFD/FEA modules).

Recently I've used ElecNet and MagNet also, these are simulation computer packages particularly for electrical device modelling (i.e. electromagnets and all that stuff)!

Original post by Like_A_G6

Solidworks, although our uni are now starting to teach Autodesk Inventor as well. If you do the naval theme of mech eng, you learn rhino as well. Ansys for CFD, haven't used it for FEA though. MatLab and Python for computational methods.

I had classes on Matlab too, although haven't used it outside of those classes.
I've used Matlab thus far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack

Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a side note, I'd say that Excel is probably one of the most widely used and useful tools in engineering, so I would definitely recommend becoming at least reasonably good at it.
Original post by Smack
As a side note, I'd say that Excel is probably one of the most widely used and useful tools in engineering, so I would definitely recommend becoming at least reasonably good at it.

I'm a prospective engineering student. Just wondering what kinds of things you use excel for? :smile: and do you need to be able to be good at calculations in excel and stuff? (If you are talking about the spreadsheet software that is :mmm:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
I'm a prospective engineering student. Just wondering what kinds of things you use excel for? :smile: and do you need to be able to be good at calculations in excel and stuff? (If you are talking about the spreadsheet software that is :mmm:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I should have noted that I was talking about my experience of being in industry, not necessarily university.

In industry Excel is used a lot for calculations. At my current company we have a large amount of design tools (basically standard calculation packages with the equations already built in) for performing common calculations.

For university you don't need to be good at Excel at all. I used it for producing graphs for reports, but that's about it really. Essentially nothing more complicated than multiplying one cell with another. But then again I would also say that I did not appreciate its power or usefulness, and did not know enough about how to use it; had I been aware of what it could do then I would have probably used it more.
Original post by Smack
Sorry, I should have noted that I was talking about my experience of being in industry, not necessarily university.

In industry Excel is used a lot for calculations. At my current company we have a large amount of design tools (basically standard calculation packages with the equations already built in) for performing common calculations.

For university you don't need to be good at Excel at all. I used it for producing graphs for reports, but that's about it really. Essentially nothing more complicated than multiplying one cell with another. But then again I would also say that I did not appreciate its power or usefulness, and did not know enough about how to use it; had I been aware of what it could do then I would have probably used it more.

Ah right okay - thank you :smile:
So guys, which unis would you say are good for mechanical engineering in the UK from your personal experience or on the basis of what you have heard?
Original post by Smack
I had classes on Matlab too, although haven't used it outside of those classes.

I think unless you look to use it, you could get away with just using Excel. Even though Excel would be slower for a lot of things, it's a much more powerful tool than people initially take it to be. One area where Matlab is incredibly useful for is image processing. Haven't found anything easier to use that can deal with such large matrices.
Original post by falseeagle2
Just curious, do any of you guys work on a computer in a cubicle (all day) and have a lot of paperwork to do on top?

I work on a computer all day, but not in a cubicle. I've never been in an office where there are cubicles. And there's paperwork to do, too.
Reply 1996
Original post by Smack
I work on a computer all day, but not in a cubicle. I've never been in an office where there are cubicles. And there's paperwork to do, too.

Have you had site visits/international travel during your time? Do you feel like you would ever change industry at some point?

I'm hungry to work for a company that offers decent development on an international stage...thus a few international visits (that are paid for) now and again would be nice.
Original post by a10
Have you had site visits/international travel during your time? Do you feel like you would ever change industry at some point?

I'm hungry to work for a company that offers decent development on an international stage...thus a few international visits (that are paid for) now and again would be nice.

Haven't had any of that yet, but it is available later on down the line, if you can show that you are actually a decent engineer. It also depends on what type of engineer you are. If you're in design, then you're office based and don't tend to visit sites much. But if you're doing projects or operations or something then you'll probably get to spend more time onsite.
Reply 1998
Original post by Smack
Haven't had any of that yet, but it is available later on down the line, if you can show that you are actually a decent engineer. It also depends on what type of engineer you are. If you're in design, then you're office based and don't tend to visit sites much. But if you're doing projects or operations or something then you'll probably get to spend more time onsite.

I'm assuming you're more of a design engineer then from your description!

Do you enjoy it on the whole?
Original post by a10
I'm assuming you're more of a design engineer then from your description!

Do you enjoy it on the whole?

Yeah, I'm in design at the moment, and on the whole I enjoy it. I didn't start off in design, and when I wasn't in design I wanted to go into design. Ultimately I think that most engineers will go into design upon graduation, with many branching out later on in their careers to other areas, making good use of the experience and technical knowledge they gained from design.

Quick Reply

Latest