The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

In other news, did anyone in their second year have the option to take modules in "professional training" or "study abroad year" (yeah, modules in it).

They're worth 40 credits, but we have no clue what they actually do for us. One person thought you study it while on the placement (so a placement year in the third year is counted as year 2 as well?). I assumed it might be worth some experience towards accreditation. It's wholly coursework based too.

Any thoughts on it? I have emailed them, but they can be a bit slow and it goes towards my re-enrolment, so I need to get it sorted.
Reply 981
Original post by SillyEddy
Have a google for Hotspot Shield (specifially, look for better alternatives, but that's a good starting point).

Basically it tunnels your connection through somewhere else and you can access data which was previously blocked.

It's not just for solo-sports though. It is quite useful if they accidentally block a useful site.

I discovered a few that werent blocked :ahee: ! Thanks Eddy, i'll try this later :biggrin:
Reply 982
how did you take notes, is a wacoom bambo tablet worth it
Original post by sucess

No point in buying a fancy tablet when a typewriter will do.

Original post by sucess

Pen and paper. Stick it in a binder.

In my opinion, modern technology is overrated when it comes to taking notes. I would not advise a tablet, unless you're doing photo editing on the side. Things like that just make it harder than it needs to be.
Hi
Is anybody doing engineering at Huddersfield
I really need to know fast as im going through clearing and ive been told that its not very good for engineering
Plzz help Ive only got 3 days to apply and I dont want to go there if the employment prospects are not very good
I'm thinking of doing mechanical or chemical engineering after the foundation year
Thank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 986
Original post by sufiaan saeed
Hi
I really need to know fast as im going through clearing and ive been told that its not very good for engineering
Plzz help Ive only got 3 days to apply and I dont want to go there if the employment prospects are not very good
I'm thinking of doing mechanical or chemical engineering after the foundation year
Thank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have actually learned that regardless of the university you go to they will always be someone who says its not good for engineering blah blah blah especially on TSR, well in my opinion if they have fairly good success rates for the subject and a good number of people are achieving 2:1's etc. and the course is accredited by the relevant institution then I don't see why its crap (?). At the end of the day you are learning the necessary knowledge to be an engineer and if you don't like it after one year there then just simply transfer to where you feel its for you :smile:
Smashed it :excited:

Still need 73% average next year for a first :eek:
Reply 988
Original post by sufiaan saeed
Hi
Thank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you are worried just do a foundation yr
forgot to add.

Reply 990
Original post by + polarity -
Smashed it :excited:

Still need 73% average next year for a first :eek:

Congrats brother!

P.s. i met an american guy (who turned out to be a lecturer) few days ago at a japanese show thing i went to and he had a wii plus game that he made for robotics research in the medical field and it simulates the human body in a series of red dots and it mimics your movements, its the sort of tech used in robotics for the robots movements! It was pretty cool tho im not sure i was keen on the amount of programming that went behind it :redface:
Original post by a10
Congrats brother!

P.s. i met an american guy (who turned out to be a lecturer) few days ago at a japanese show thing i went to and he had a wii plus game that he made for robotics research in the medical field and it simulates the human body in a series of red dots and it mimics your movements, its the sort of tech used in robotics for the robots movements! It was pretty cool tho im not sure i was keen on the amount of programming that went behind it :redface:

:girl:

Wow, what show was this? :eek: I got an email a few days ago about some programming competition, I'm still considering entering :tongue:
Swear all the oil companies I've looked at won't let you apply for an internship unless you are in your penultimate year, anyone know any that do internships between 2nd and 3rd year of an MEng??
Reply 993
:girl:

Wow, what show was this? :eek: I got an email a few days ago about some programming competition, I'm still considering entering :tongue:

japan brighton it was called I think...

haha I can program in VB.NET, which languages are you most proficient at? What did the comp involve?

EDIT: yeah I got the name right, also found the poster

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by a10
japan brighton it was called I think...

haha I can program in VB.NET, which languages are you most proficient at? What did the comp involve?

EDIT: yeah I got the name right, also found the poster

:drool: I would definitely go if it wasn't so far away!

In my project I was essentially using C++. I wouldn't say I can program in it, but I got my program to do what I wanted it to do, eventually :tongue:

This is the competition. I feel like I should enter as robotics is my biggest interest (or so I claim...), but I think i would have to do this on top of any projects I'll have to do, and I don't have any ideas right now!
Reply 995
Weird question, but in your first year how much did you have to spend on books, i'm starting my first year this Sunday and wondering what i'm in for ££ wise
Original post by JAJC
Weird question, but in your first year how much did you have to spend on books, i'm starting my first year this Sunday and wondering what i'm in for ££ wise

£120 I think. I only remember buying 4 textbooks, and I sold most of them in second year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 997
:drool: I would definitely go if it wasn't so far away!

In my project I was essentially using C++. I wouldn't say I can program in it, but I got my program to do what I wanted it to do, eventually :tongue:

This is the competition. I feel like I should enter as robotics is my biggest interest (or so I claim...), but I think i would have to do this on top of any projects I'll have to do, and I don't have any ideas right now!

nice, give it a go if you have the time, test yourself :biggrin:
Original post by a10
nice, give it a go if you have the time, test yourself :biggrin:

I thought I gave you the wrong like lol, it was the NAO thing btw (it's so cute :pinch:). I stiill haven't had any... interesting ideas :angry:
Original post by JAJC

I made the mistake of buying books as soon as the lecturer recommended it in my first semester. Wait a while and see if you need it. The university bookstore is most probably much more expensive than sites like amazon and abebooks. In total, for first year, I spent £70 on books and second year I spent £15 on books.

Often you'll get people in years above you sending e-mails selling books at ridiculously cheap prices as well, so that may be good.

How's being back at uni everyone?

Quick Reply

Latest